Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I believe lots of schools, especially smaller ones, do not have nurses.

Way back inthe mid eighties, we lived just outside of Nashville. The grade school had no nurse, and it was asked of the parents to volunteer to man the nurse's station a couple of times a month. This was a very nice area and several country music stars sent their kids there. I of course volunteered whenever I could. Having hot water to wash hands when dealing with the sick or injured children was obvious, but there was no hot water, because the water heater was broken and had been for months. My husband and I took it to the school authorities and it was not something they like us "Newcomers" doing. Rumors started that we were going to sue the school, which was not true. We fortunately moved not long after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
This thread seems to go in circles. What I want to know is: is a 10-year old child capable of determining the need for an epi-pen and using properly? Someone already mentioned that children can use inhalers without a problem. What would have been the downside of using an epi-pen when not warranted?
Is the school at fault by not allowing the child not to carry her medications?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Way back inthe mid eighties, we lived just outside of Nashville. The grade school had no nurse, and it was asked of the parents to volunteer to man the nurse's station a couple of times a month. This was a very nice area and several country music stars sent their kids there. I of course volunteered whenever I could. Having hot water to wash hands when dealing with the sick or injured children was obvious, but there was no hot water, because the water heater was broken and had been for months. My husband and I took it to the school authorities and it was not something they like us "Newcomers" doing. Rumors started that we were going to sue the school, which was not true. We fortunately moved not long after.
Thanks, stormy night.

Well, the above is over the top! I def think a health room should be run with more than volunteers. Not to disparage vols, b/c I have been a school vol myself, but that is something that requires a paid employee.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:43 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
I grew up a long time ago, but in our school (K-12 in two side by side buildings) we had no nurse and we were an hour from the nearest hospital. In all the years I attended that school, there was not one death. The few injuries were taken care of by the teachers. There was one phone, in the high school next door.

But back then, kids were healthier, too. We actually had an hour of recess (15 minutes in the morning, half hour after lunch, and 15 minutes in the afternoon). And we played HARD. The only thing that kept us in was rain. There were no adults outside either. No classrooms had aides, they were unheard of. No nurse or medical professional to be found, and nobody thought anything of it.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
This thread seems to go in circles. What I want to know is: is a 10-year old child capable of determining the need for an epi-pen and using properly? Someone already mentioned that children can use inhalers without a problem. What would have been the downside of using an epi-pen when not warranted?
Is the school at fault by not allowing the child not to carry her medications?
In my school district, kids usually need to be in middle school (grades 6,7,8) to carry their own inhalers. I don't really know about epi-pens. The dr. needs to sign a form that says they can have it on their person. This child was in elementary school. It is a situation with the individual child whether s/he is capable of determining if s/he needs to use the epi-pen/inhaler. The child's sibling is the one who went for help, according to the story. So maybe the child was already in bad shape when she got to school.

Here is some info about epi-pens, but it doesn't really address using it when not warranted.

EpiPen Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

Epinephirine can cause cardiac irregularities, some of which can be fatal.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
What we need to have is a balance. Not moving the school into the emergency room. But at the same time not failing to have plans in place and the ability to deal with whatever incidents may arise.

There should at the BARE MINIMUM be one person who is there at all times who is certified in basic first aid and in CPR (regardless of the likelihood of it needing to be used). And there should be specific plans in place for getting kids to the hospital if necessary.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What we need to have is a balance. Not moving the school into the emergency room. But at the same time not failing to have plans in place and the ability to deal with whatever incidents may arise.

There should at the BARE MINIMUM be one person who is there at all times who is certified in basic first aid and in CPR (regardless of the likelihood of it needing to be used).
I agree. But keep in mind, basic first aid is much different than advanced cardiac life support.

Quote:
And there should be specific plans in place for getting kids to the hospital if necessary.
I agree, and it seems as if the school did this.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree. But keep in mind, basic first aid is much different than advanced cardiac life support.

I agree, and it seems as if the school did this.
Yes I do think that in this case the school did everything it could. I meant what I said more generally (since this thread has turned into a debate of whether schools should have nurses, teachers should be trained in CPR, etc.).

And I understand that basic first aid and advanced cardiac life support are very different. That's why I'd like to see at least a few of the adults at each school trained thoroughly in CPR, but then have them all trained in first aid.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-15-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times
I just really think that it is important to have someone in the school who is able to deal with an emergency situation. A lot of people freak out and can not handle when something happens. In middle school during gym a friend slid on the floor, right into the metal part of the pull out bleachers, and sliced her leg open from mid-calf to mid-thigh. She was in a wheel chair for weeks, and lost a lot of blood. We had another girl who was deathly allergic to bee stings.

You also have students who have diabetes,allergies asthma, flu, accidents. Children have a lot more medical problems these days, there should be someone who is able to take care of them. Even if a nurse is not equipped to fix the situation hopefully they know when to call in help.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
Children have a lot more medical problems these days
I most definitely agree with this. Can someone explain to me WHY this is the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education