Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,597 times

Advertisements

I have found this site a great one to find out what people in the field you're interested in think about certain issues. Since teaching and education are formost in my mind another issue came up which I think many teachers and educators who hook up to this site can appreciate. Again forgive me if this matter has already been brought up, but I'm still relatively new to this.
I have heard some school districts having to cut out recess for the sake of making up time to have kids meet NCLB requirements. Heck I've even heard some districts building new schools without a playground!! This goes for art, music and other specials (as we call them here), of course our lovely state government has helped in that. I think its a crime to dump these programs for the sake of a federal mandate that is currently flawed at best. I shutter to think about working in a district that decides to cut recess just to keep the kids in the classroom so they can write tests for NCLB In a country where child obesity is flying out the window the last thing districts should even consider is dumping a time where children can run and play and get some much needed exercise. This goes for music and art programs.

What are your thoughts?

I hope as the "dependable" lawmakers in Washington debate NCLB renewal status this year they realize how in many respects its too restrictive and that recess and other creative programs are suffering because of it.

Last edited by SALteacher; 07-26-2007 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Our public schools still have recess, art, music, and computers. My son's private school has all that plus drama. Recess stops in 6th grade in the private school and 7th grade in the public school.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Parents Launch 'Rescuing Recess' Drive, As More Schools Cut Playtime, National PTA, Cartoon Network Try To Get It Back - CBS News

Given our national GROWING obesity rate in kids, one would think recess and/or gym would be more important. Liz

Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 AM

117 posts, read 507,279 times
At my school, there is no official recess for the children. However, weather permitting, teachers can take the children outside for 10 minutes. This is a policy that I have always been opposed to. Children need a physical outlet of some sort coupled with an opportunity for socialization.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
TEN MINUTES????? Is that all????

I don't remember exactly how long recess was growing up but I think it was an HOUR and it didn't seem to hurt us any. In fact I think it helped us. We had a chance to actually get in a game of volleyball or other games like that. Of course I am 53...not in my 20's. Seems we did everything WRONG in the 60's.

You can't do much more than get outside and back in in 10 mins. Liz

Old 07-26-2007, 11:26 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
My kids have recess on fairweather days. I know they bring snowpants to school in the winter so they can go on the snow piles in the parking lots there, so it has to be a decent amount of time.
I never asked for how long. Growing up, ours was a half hour at catholic schools til grade 6.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Our schools still have recess, elementary schools anyway. Those poor teachers that don't have recess for their kids, YIKES! We also have 3 full time band directors at our high school and 4 1/2 band directors at our middle school. Each elementary school has 1 1/2 band directors--it is nice to live in a town where a full spectrum education is still the norm.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,826 times
Our middle school gives recess to students in 6th grade, but not 7th or 8th. Us 7th grade teachers have to spend a lot of time at the beginning of the year listening to complaints from students, but it is something that the district decides so we can't do much about it.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 PM

117 posts, read 507,279 times
Default Yes, Only 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
TEN MINUTES????? Is that all????

I don't remember exactly how long recess was growing up but I think it was an HOUR and it didn't seem to hurt us any. In fact I think it helped us. We had a chance to actually get in a game of volleyball or other games like that. Of course I am 53...not in my 20's. Seems we did everything WRONG in the 60's.

You can't do much more than get outside and back in in 10 mins. Liz

Exactly. Sometimes, it is not even worth going out because I know we will have to go back inside in a short amount of time. Children need at least 20-30 minutes of recess daily.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,878 times
This is a sore subject for me. My son is in the fifth grade and has no recess this year for the first time. His grades have fallen as a result and he is gaining weight!

I have talked til I am blue in the face-never get an answer why they have none-just that they have too much to do!

I am getting a petition together to try to do something about it. Our children need to be able to play, they have to learn how to cope, solve problems, etc. Not to mention the cognitive benefits.
Everyone needs to do this that has no recess in their schools. I hope it will change some minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education