Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,474 times

Advertisements

I didn't see this here or in the politics section. I'm not even sure which of the two this should fall under but I try to avoid the politics section!

Obama stressed...
-incentives for Math and Science teachers
-incentives for rural and inner city teachers
-reward "good" teachers (based on improved student achievement)
-get rid of bad teachers
-new teachers will be mentored by experienced teachers
-expand after school programs
-extend school into the summer or extend school days

My thoughts?
I'm not too thrilled. I'm fine with rewarding good teachers and getting rid of bad teachers. However, Obama is suggesting that the students' performance is what makes the teacher a good or bad one? If you base a teacher's value on his/her students' achievement, nobody will work in the inner cities. Nobody will want to put up with those kids and most of those kids will fail the state assessments (labeling the teachers as "bad" teachers, causing them to get fired). Sorry, not everyone is a Ron Clark...

Also, extend the school year or extend the school days? The kids are burning out from the state testing already! There's no way they'd make it throughout the entire year without some sort of long break. Heck, we teachers need that break too! Also, it'd become extremely expensive to keep schools open year long. I read somewhere that some schools don't have A/C. That'd be torture to keep kids in a building in the blazing summer without A/C.

Before people get antsy, I like Obama. I voted for him. I knew what he was bringing to education but I thought he could pull us out of this economic heaven. Still, I don't enjoy this reform. I think what REALLY needs to be reformed is the assessments and how we're holding people accountable. I am glad that Obama took care of the financial aspect, though.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I don't mind talking about the EDUCATION reform here but please, let's keep it to that and not a general Obama forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
" -reward "good" teachers (based on improved student achievement) "

What if the teacher gets stuck will all of the dummies... like me...???

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 AM

196 posts, read 574,602 times
Research continues to show that American public schools lag those of other developed countries. I do feel that something needs to be done to reward teachers that are effective and give administration the ability to get rid of teachers that are not effective. Why not? We know it is an effective motivator - it works in business everyday.

The question becomes what metric do we use? The answer to me is very simple. You look at ALL the facts. People who advocate for only using "testing results" are just looking for a simple litmus test to make a decision. That doesn't work when humans are involved.

So what do I suggest we look at?

The principal needs to observe the teacher in the classroom. Is he/she motivating children with stimulating lesson plans? Does his/her delivery instill some excitement about the subject? Do the children respect the teacher and is the classroom run efficiently?

Testing should be part of it, but not with the emphasis of teaching to the test. Do an evaluation test at the beginning of the year and one at the end. Was there progress through the year?

As a former education person who both taught and worked in administration, the only way to determine the effectiveness of a teacher is to observe. Others may disagree, but I feel principals spend very little time supervising/observing and I think it should be the priority.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefamily View Post
Research continues to show that American public schools lag those of other developed countries. I do feel that something needs to be done to reward teachers that are effective and give administration the ability to get rid of teachers that are not effective. Why not? We know it is an effective motivator - it works in business everyday.

The question becomes what metric do we use? The answer to me is very simple. You look at ALL the facts. People who advocate for only using "testing results" are just looking for a simple litmus test to make a decision. That doesn't work when humans are involved.

So what do I suggest we look at?

The principal needs to observe the teacher in the classroom. Is he/she motivating children with stimulating lesson plans? Does his/her delivery instill some excitement about the subject? Do the children respect the teacher and is the classroom run efficiently?

Testing should be part of it, but not with the emphasis of teaching to the test. Do an evaluation test at the beginning of the year and one at the end. Was there progress through the year?

As a former education person who both taught and worked in administration, the only way to determine the effectiveness of a teacher is to observe. Others may disagree, but I feel principals spend very little time supervising/observing and I think it should be the priority.

"The principal needs to observe the teacher in the classroom."

This could and would lead to favoritism.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
I didn't see the education plan he presented (or discussed)

But the OP is stating that teachers wouldn't want to work in inner cities because achievement would be lower and they therefore would not get the "good teacher" salary. But, above, "incentives for inner cities" was listed. So, though the childrens performance may not be as high, they get the other incentive.

The problem I see generally with paying teachers according to kids passing certain tests, is the fact that now the teachers have to teach the children how to pass the tests, which takes away from other teaching. Plus I have heard that the testing itself is very time consuming? Does anyone know about the testing process? (I'm in Mass and I heard it lasts two weeks but I don't know if that is two weeks consecutively for every kid, or two weeks total for the whole school to complete the test) My son is only in Second grade so he doesn't start testing until next year.

As for extended day or longer school year, I would not support an extended school day, at least in my town. Some of the kids get picked up at 7:40 am and some kids don't get off the bus until after 4pm. With that much variation in the bussing just for kids to go to school from 8:45-3pm, I cannot see which end of the day they are going to extend, the morning or afternoon (and what, have kids getting on the bus at 7:10 and off at 4:45???) And I am talking about kids in Preschool through grade 6, not junior high or high school.

As for extending the school year or making it year round, I think that though it would be strange, it would be doable. I can't see why kids need almost a week off at Thanksgiving, over a week off during Christmas, then another week off in February, and another in April, along with about 15 miscellaneous days off in between. And the summer break just gets them out of the rhythym of school, the end of the year they are wrapping things up and not much is done, and the beginning of the year they are just getting started. It's just too much stopping and going. I am thinking they might be more productive and retain more if they went nearly year round with a week off every two months or some other plan for sufficient days off. There just really is no reason that the kids need to be out of school for 10 weeks, other than tradition.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefamily View Post
That is a great idea. It shows exactly how far the teacher brought each child, which is really what you can hold the teacher responsible for anyway, and would help with Houston's problem of getting all the "dummies".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"The principal needs to observe the teacher in the classroom."

This could and would lead to favoritism.
Favoritism? Come on! In any job, there is a high potential for favoritism from the boss. In any job, there are supervisor evaluations. How and why would this be any different? A boss needs to remain as "objective" as possible. That is part of THEIR job. Can anyone remain completely objective? Well, probably not but it is just a fact of life.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
That is a great idea. It shows exactly how far the teacher brought each child, which is really what you can hold the teacher responsible for anyway, and would help with Houston's problem of getting all the "dummies".

Favoritism? Come on! In any job, there is a high potential for favoritism from the boss. In any job, there are supervisor evaluations. How and why would this be any different? A boss needs to remain as "objective" as possible. That is part of THEIR job. Can anyone remain completely objective? Well, probably not but it is just a fact of life.
I didn't say it didn't happen in other jobs, did I? But it's OK with you as long as other businesses do It too.

Houston ISD has a bonus plan based on what OBAMA is asking for and the local Teachers Association says the same thing I have said. They also don't like the improved grade thing either... Because of what I said above, "What if the teacher gets stuck will all of the dummies... like me...???"

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I didn't say it didn't happen in other jobs, did I? Houston ISD has a bonus plan based on what OBAMA is asking for and the local Teachers Association says the same thing I have said.

I am not familiar w/what the Houston Teachers association said.

I was just commenting on your comment that observing teachers would lead to favoritism.

To me, observing would give the principal a way to rate the teacher, see how they are performing, and work with that teacher on how to improve.

After all, the job is TEACHING, and if no one is watching how the teacher is TEACHING, how does anyone know if the teacher is actually doing his or her job effectively? Especially when parents don't know how well the teacher is teaching, either.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I am not familiar w/what the Houston Teachers association said.

I was just commenting on your comment that observing teachers would lead to favoritism.

To me, observing would give the principal a way to rate the teacher, see how they are performing, and work with that teacher on how to improve.

After all, the job is TEACHING, and if no one is watching how the teacher is TEACHING, how does anyone know if the teacher is actually doing his or her job effectively? Especially when parents don't know how well the teacher is teaching, either.
" I was just commenting on your comment that observing teachers would lead to favoritism. "

And you think I'm wrong and that it wont happen?

My kids a grown, but the wife and I can tell if the grand kids are learning or not learning... It's really not that hard to do..

We are both on "THE LIST" and can ask the school questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education