Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I don't really see how a "no touch" policy for 13 and 14 years olds during school hours is going to lead society down that path.

Just my opinion.
Were you responding to the first part of my post or the second part?

Because I agree that by itself it won't result in kids growing up to not be caring or compassionate....but, at the same time, it's part of a very disturbing trend. That's what worries me.

If you were responding to the second part of my post, expelling a child from school does lead to terrible, terrible problems for that child and it's not worth it except in the most extreme circumstances. Violating a "no touching" rule is not, IMO, extreme enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,082 times
Quote:
I don't really see how a "no touch" policy for 13 and 14 years olds during school hours is going to lead society down that path.

Just my opinion.
It just adds to the long, long list of what kids are not allowed to do. Micro-management is tightening kids lives until one day they will be like zombies. Seriously, kids aren't allowed to learn things on their own any more at school. All they do is follow instruction, direction, and rules. Every facet of the schooling is dictated to them from the adults around them; how they walk, how fast/slow they walk, how they talk, what they say, who to say it to, how they act, when to do things, how to do things, why they do things, don't touch, don't talk, don't think for yourself, don't act like that, don't run, don't play, sit up, stand up, sit down, JEEZ-O-PETE !!!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It just adds to the long, long list of what kids are not allowed to do. Micro-management is tightening kids lives until one day they will be like zombies. Seriously, kids aren't allowed to learn things on their own any more at school. All they do is follow instruction, direction, and rules. Every facet of the schooling is dictated to them from the adults around them; how they walk, how fast/slow they walk, how they talk, what they say, who to say it to, how they act, when to do things, how to do things, why they do things, don't touch, don't talk, don't think for yourself, don't act like that, don't run, don't play, sit up, stand up, sit down, JEEZ-O-PETE !!!
Cattle, our children are nothing more than cattle.

I'm not even that old and I clearly remember playing tag, pushing each other on the swings, locking up and going down the slide with friends at school, packing as many kids as we could get onto the merry-go-round ...nope, those days are long gone. Those things are most likely prohibited now. But hey, why do kids need to touch each other anyway?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

I'm not even that old and I clearly remember playing tag, pushing each other on the swings, locking up and going down the slide with friends at school, packing as many kids as we could get onto the merry-go-round ...nope, those days are long gone. Those things are most likely prohibited now. But hey, why do kids need to touch each other anyway?
But, were you doing those things in 7th and 8th grade, when you were 13and 14?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
But, you were you doing those things in 7th and 8th grade, when you were 13and 14?
No silly, but we all moved on to middle school together and we had become FRIENDS by then. Friends pat each other on the back or give each other a hug when they are happy or sad. Friends tap each other on the shoulder and ask to borrow a pencil. Friends lock arms and sing the top 20 songs while walking down the hall. Friends sometimes touch each other.

You really are coming off sounding like a cold harsh person to suggest that touching of any kind isn't necessary. If you want to address the bullies and bottom pinchers, then address the bullies and the bottom pinchers....but leave kids with the freedom to express their friendships and feelings with each other. Middle school is hard enough without people like you adding unrealistic requirements that make kids feel even more distant from each other. At that age, if there was such a stupid regulation imposed, we probably would have staged some sort of hugging protest....everyone hugs everyone they see all day long. Is the principal going to expel everyone? Well, this one might because she is stupid.
But see, I never was content being a cattle.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,507 times
Quote:
No silly, but we all moved on to middle school together and we had become FRIENDS by then. Friends pat each other on the back or give each other a hug when they are happy or sad. Friends tap each other on the shoulder and ask to borrow a pencil. Friends lock arms and sing the top 20 songs while walking down the hall. Friends sometimes touch each other.

You really are coming off sounding like a cold harsh person to suggest that touching of any kind isn't necessary. If you want to address the bullies and bottom pinchers, then address the bullies and the bottom pinchers....but leave kids with the freedom to express their friendships and feelings with each other. Middle school is hard enough without people like you adding unrealistic requirements that make kids feel even more distant from each other. At that age, if there was such a stupid regulation imposed, we probably would have staged some sort of hugging protest....everyone hugs everyone they see all day long. Is the principal going to expel everyone? Well, this one might because she is stupid.
But see, I never was content being a cattle.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said touching wasn't necessary or even that I agreed with this new restriction. Quote me once please where I said that..............

All I am saying is that I don't think this is the end of society as we know it because one school doesn't want 13 and 14 year olds to touch each other.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said touching wasn't necessary or even that I agreed with this new restriction. Quote me once please where I said that..............

All I am saying is that I don't think this is the end of society as we know it because one school doesn't want 13 and 14 year olds to touch each other.
By standing up for 'no tolerance' policies such as this you have determined that kids don't need to be touching each other for any reason. Neither out of anger and malice nor out of friendship and kindness. You have lumped them both together as wrong.
Quote:
This policy will make the rules tougher for a child that hurts another child! GOOD! I STRONGLY believe in NO TOLERANCE!

Don't you know that most changes that have long term impact on societies are incremental, not clear and decisive moments in time? Frogs in a pot of water.... Apparently you are just enjoying the nice warm swim and encouraging others to join you in the pot.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:

Same here. We even had recess through the 8th grade actually. Not with swings, slides, or merry go rounds, but we had basketball courts and soccer fields. And yes, we were 13 and 14 years old and actually TOUCHED each other.

Hey I have an idea....redesign every school building into a big open room with cubicles. No child is allowed to leave his or her cubicle at any time during the day or talk to a child in a different cubicle at any time during the day.

No art class, music class, PE class, recess, etc. and lunches are brought to the cubicles. The entire school day is spent in the cubicles completing workbooks designed to prepare the kids to pass standardized tests....that's it.

If a child makes even the slightest noise or leaves his or her cubicle other than during one of the two 2-minute restroom breaks during the 8-hour school day, automatic expulsion. Zero tolerance...no exceptions.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Same here. We even had recess through the 8th grade actually. Not with swings, slides, or merry go rounds, but we had basketball courts and soccer fields. And yes, we were 13 and 14 years old and actually TOUCHED each other.

Hey I have an idea....redesign every school building into a big open room with cubicles. No child is allowed to leave his or her cubicle at any time during the day or talk to a child in a different cubicle at any time during the day.

No art class, music class, PE class, recess, etc. and lunches are brought to the cubicles. The entire school day is spent in the cubicles completing workbooks designed to prepare the kids to pass standardized tests....that's it.

If a child makes even the slightest noise or leaves his or her cubicle other than during one of the two 2-minute restroom breaks during the 8-hour school day, automatic expulsion. Zero tolerance...no exceptions.
Hey, that sounds like it would be very acceptable to some folks here....after all, 'it wouldn't end society as we know it' so why not??

Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 AM

18 posts, read 36,750 times
Default Can't wait for other schools to follow suit...

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line parents thought they sent their kids to school to socialize - not to get an education (hence our low educational status as compared with the rest of the world). Parents also believe they are not responsible for teaching their children healthy socialization by meeting with parents AFTER school or on weekends to take their kids to dance classes, sports meets etc. Many parents are only concerned with themselves after work hours and could care less what their children are doing or saying. I am so happy a school system has finally had the guts to make this decision. I firmly believe this rule will keep many children from being hurt in the public school system and wish it could have been enacted a long time ago to save the children that have already been hurt (some critically). It is the parents responsibility to teach their children the difference between appropriate and inappropriate ways to touch people. If the parents are not doing their job then the school administration MUST enforce these rules to protect the children that go to school to learn. The children that do not want to learn but rather would like to bully other kids and get into trouble will obviously break the rules and should be suspended so their parents can deal with them and if the parents can't deal with them, there are always reform schools. These children/young adults should not be allowed back into the public school system - forget a warning! Now I am just waiting for schools in all states to follow suit!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education