Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 21,686 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching part time for years at a local Community College in a ADULT Education Certificate Program. The students pay GOOD MONEY to attend these classes so they can get a certificate in HR Management. Each Human Resources class is 4-8 sessions and to get the Certificate one has to complete 8-10 classes.

About 30 percent of the students do not seem to try very hard and are just going through the motions. But about 10% of students refuse to do ANYTHING other than show up to class. They lay their head down, write letters to friends, draw pictures and refuse to respond when called on. Traditionally there are no grades in the classes just pass or fail. I suspect the students know that traditionally that they will pass if they show up at class.

As a 15 year veteran in Human Resources I am frustrated at the large number of students who tell me they are in the program because they want a career in HR, but then do not show a human interpersonal side and refuse to say a word in class.

I want to fail the students who do not try. But they complain that they PAID GOOD MONEY for the class and I have to pass them.
Have you attended a Certificate Program with a pass fail grade? If so, should I be able to fail a student who shows up but will not try to learn?

The coordinators of the program tell me that they have never failed a student who has shown up for all the classes, but they will defer to me if I want to fail them. What do you think?

(Remember these are certificate classes, not graded courses where the person gets an A.B,C, D, or F)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
How can you justify passing someone who will receive a certificate when they do nothing to earn it? If they pay good money, then they should also make good effort, or it will be a waste of their ''good money''.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
There is no syllabus? Where is the criteria for who passes? It is wonderful that people "PAID GOOD MONEY ", but a canceled check does not = a passing grade.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
My thinking is, that if all they have to do is pay, then they should be able to just purchase the certificate , like at the dime store or Walmart and not bother with any classes.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
A shy person working as a human recourse manager? That sounds like a dog whose waiting for a red light to turn green before walking across a street. It just not going to happen.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Depends on the specific criteria needed to get a Pass. If the syllabus says you need to show up X amount of times and do X assignments, and they do it, AND there's no mention of verbal participation, then yes, they pass. If participation is part of the requirement, and they don't do anything else, then they don't pass. What do they need to pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education