Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Hrm. My schools never gave out "F"s anyways. They gave out "E"s. In some classes, they were given out like candy, but I stuck with Crunch bars!

Take that as you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Not a pass/fail course a pass or else course. Or else you will go to the "new summer school", you and your parents will be fined $1,000 and the child will need to be tested once again to pass the grade.
As hilarious as your suggestion is....and believe me, it is hilarious indeed...this wouldn't fly. No way would this fly. Soccer moms would be rioting in the streets, especially if you consider that out of 5,000 students, a good fifth of them would be subject to that "new summer school". Of that number, about half would be from either inner city and/or ghetto, and incapable of paying the fee. What then? Jail?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
I do believe everyone should get at least a second chance at making the grade.
I think that second chances should only be given if a particular situation or circumstance interfered with the students academic ability/performance/expectations. Any healthy student in a healthy situation who can't meet the bare minimum to pass deserves the F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
This already happens in a number of colleges. You are strongly advised to never give a student an F in case the student loses their scholarship, the school looks bad, the parents get involved etc.
I have heard accusations of grade inflation at some colleges, but I have never heard of a school telling its professor to hold back on the F's. Out of all of the college profs that I have talked to I think that it is safe for me to say that none of them want to give F's but will if it came down to it. There seems to be a unifying motto amongst them to the effect of I don't give grades, students earn them.

I don't see the advantage for a college to keep a student on just because that student receives a scholarship. If you haven't noticed there are up to hundreds of students (depending on college) who are waiting in line to every one student who is admitted. If that student with the scholarship flunks out, big whoop-dee-do; there are a grip of kids to take his place.

The parents get involved? Are you serious? Even if they did, what can they do besides make themselves look like a couple of jacka$$es? And, unless these parents are alumni or contributors (financially) to the school, the school is not going to care who upset they are.

Quote:

If we lower the bar then we fail......If we fail those that do not make the grade then who fails? The student,
In the long run, we all would fail, but I am a firm believer that you earn what you get.

Quote:
Here is another truism. The American unions have contracts with the management that provide the employee with a second, third time to correct the problem the employee produced. What if we go strict with everything including unions and people should fail in life if they do one wrong or do not make the mark the first time....Here is another one. Sports can only have winners and no loosers and what about Olympics. Just the Gold. Get rid of Silver and Bronze cause they are wanna bee repeats................
I understand what you are trying to say here, but keep in mind that non-union employers can, and will, fire your behind for what-ever reason they see fit. I once worked for a company that fired a co-worker because she was five minutes late. No write-up. No warning. Nothing but termination. Another guy got fired because he simply asked if he could move to another position. And, an employer can fire a union worker on the first strike if insinuating circumstances have occurred. Unions just protect their members from being terminated for stupid reasons.

Failure is a fact of life. It happens to everyone from time to time on one scale or another. Adults should have the skills to realize what went wrong and do what it takes to bounce back. High school kids need to learn this, too.

Sports? There are no losers in sports, just someone who lost that game. Only whack sports fans and high-school coaches subscribe to the concept of winners and losers.

Quote:
Think about what you guys are saying next time and if we continue to fail those kids who just didn't quit make the grade to stay another year then we just suck as Americans and our educational system is gonna go down the drain. In America people who peruse higher education are taught to think outside the box. Plain Jane academemia just doesn't work anymore. However, we have the right to express our opinions too so lets just be fair
Well, America needs factory workers.

Look at it like this; school districts receive funding based on students academic performance. The less students fail, the more money the school(s) receive. Also, this artificial grade inflation would help promote the image that American education is not as bad as every says it is.

I bet all of this is the way that schools are answering NCLB.

Last edited by K-Luv; 04-27-2009 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
As hilarious as your suggestion is....and believe me, it is hilarious indeed...this wouldn't fly. No way would this fly. Soccer moms would be rioting in the streets, especially if you consider that out of 5,000 students, a good fifth of them would be subject to that "new summer school". Of that number, about half would be from either inner city and/or ghetto, and incapable of paying the fee. What then? Jail?
Actually, the school system that I went to offered a summer school at a cost to the family. If a child failed Such-n-Such class, then the family was given two options. The first was that the student re-take the class in the following school year or that the student take the class as a summer course. The biggest difference is that it cost money for a student to be registered at Summer School. If a child were to fail two or more courses, he or she could only take one as a summer school course - the rest had to be taken the following school year.

The minimum was $40 for a student who would normally get free lunch to re-take a semester course. The highest cost was $300 for a student who gets no subsidized lunch to re-take a year-long course. If the family could not pay, then the child would re-take the class in the following school year.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM

223 posts, read 531,953 times
The minimum was $40 for a student who would normally get free lunch to re-take a semester course. The highest cost was $300 for a student who gets no subsidized lunch to re-take a year-long course. If the family could not pay, then the child would re-take the class in the following school year.

Great idea. Lets face it folks, a teacher will not fail a child who is working and is trying. The teacher will work with the student, and consideration will be given for a border line grade. Kids who don't try and do not give any effort, well that is another story. I think that their parents should have to pay for summer school. Working with kids who know how to work the system, and parents that know how to work the system, paying for summer school would be motivation to give some effort. Some kids give no effort at all, and ride it through to the next grade. We are failing the other students that actually do care when we let these kids attend summer school and get promoted to the next grade. Kids need motivation, and telling them they are wonderful and giving them a grade that they do not deserve is not motivation. I am all in favor of giving a kid a second chance if they did not learn something the first time, but I am not in favor of throwing chances around like free passes.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Here we go. Eventually everyone will get an 'A' for just showing up.

This is the little league participation trophy phylosophy making it's way over to the educational system.

At some point we're going to have to say little Johnny isn't cutting the mustard folks. Would you rather do that in elementary school or when he "graduates" HS and is completely unemployable.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
At my school when a student receives a failing grade the teacher is called in for an administrative conference and a game plan is developed for the teacher to make sure the student passes. The question usually is, "what will you do to ensure this student passes"? It used to happen if a teacher had a bunch of "E"s, now it's for one or two. In all honesty only one VP is doing this but the word travels. As an aside I think that if a teacher has 29 out of 30 failing grades something is wrong and it isn't necessarily the kids.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,162,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At my school when a student receives a failing grade the teacher is called in for an administrative conference and a game plan is developed for the teacher to make sure the student passes. The question usually is, "what will you do to ensure this student passes"? It used to happen if a teacher had a bunch of "E"s, now it's for one or two. In all honesty only one VP is doing this but the word travels. As an aside I think that if a teacher has 29 out of 30 failing grades something is wrong and it isn't necessarily the kids.
Unfortunately, there's a really easy two-word solution to that situation:

GRADE INFLATION.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
FOXNews.com - Are 'No-Fail' Grading Systems Hurting or Helping Students? - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

snippet:

I don't agree with this. I think the grading system works just fine, provided the curriculum is solid, which at times it is not. Then there are some vindictive teachers who want to send a message to certain kids (don't say it doesn't happen...I know firsthand that it does, and have a story about that).

Fix the problem, then if students aren't understanding the material, maybe the course materials need to be improved or the student needs to be relocated to another class, or given tutoring, or something. My point: fix the source and stop laying teachers off that are desperately needed.
here's an idea: if a student fails a course, have the kid study more so he/she can pass it the next time around

Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
here's an idea: if a student fails a course, have the kid study more so he/she can pass it the next time around

More effective to take away the Xbox or Gameboy until he gets acceptable grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education