Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

For the first time, researchers say they have clear evidence that abstinence education works and it could change the conversation about young people and sex.

New Study Says 'Abstinence Only' Works - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,428,032 times
Flawed study.

The fact that more kids in the abstinence-only group weren't having sex is all well and good, but the others that chose to didn't have the necessary information to make intelligent choices.

Kids are going to have sex. Period. And really, as long as it's a consensual thing, it's no big deal. But they need to know how to use a condom, why it's important, all that good stuff.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Flawed study.

The fact that more kids in the abstinence-only group weren't having sex is all well and good, but the others that chose to didn't have the necessary information to make intelligent choices.

Kids are going to have sex. Period. And really, as long as it's a consensual thing, it's no big deal. But they need to know how to use a condom, why it's important, all that good stuff.
How is it a flawed study? They are teaching kids abstinence.

Condoms do not always work, are not always used, and frankly I don't want a 14 year old daughter pregnant.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Flawed study.

Frankly, 13 year olds know about condoms and birth control without sex ed. It is not a given that kids are going to have sex. I didn't have sex until I was 21. It is very possible to not have sex at 13 or 14. Saying otherwise is having no faith in our kids at all. I've known plenty of people who waited to have sex, and they are better off for it. Plus, birth control isn't 100% effective.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How is it a flawed study? They are teaching kids abstinence.

Condoms do not always work, are not always used, and frankly I don't want a 14 year old daughter pregnant.

So you'd rather just teach them don't do it, and not prepare them for what they need to do if they decide to?

It's a flawed study because it says that "hey, a few less kids decided to have sex after this kind of education", but what about the kids in the study who decided to? How did they fare compared to kids who received comprehensive sex ed? Abstinence-only education makes no provisions for them.

What if said 14-year-old daughter decides to have sex anyway? Wouldn't you want her versed in various methods of birth control so she can enjoy herself without getting pregnant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Frankly, 13 year olds know about condoms and birth control without sex ed.
I'd rather not just assume they know how to use them. It's that kind of thinking that leads to teen pregnancy and all kinds of other problems.

Quote:
It is not a given that kids are going to have sex. I didn't have sex until I was 21. It is very possible to not have sex at 13 or 14. Saying otherwise is having no faith in our kids at all. I've known plenty of people who waited to have sex, and they are better off for it.
Not all kids will, but many will. Whether or not it's better or worse for them is besides the point.

Quote:
Plus, birth control isn't 100% effective.
Neither is abstinence-only education.

America needs to grow up and quit worrying about sex so damn much.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM

693 posts, read 1,607,339 times
Quote:

What if said 14-year-old daughter decides to have sex anyway? Wouldn't you want her versed in various methods of birth control so she can enjoy herself without getting pregnant?

America needs to grow up and quit worrying about sex so damn much.
ANY mature and responsible adult will not consider it "immature" to be worried about their 14 year old having sex. In most countries it is not even LEGAL for a 14 year old to have sex. And you want me to educate her in such a way that she not only feels encouraged to have sex but is prepared to have an enjoyable experience?

NO. NOT FOR A 14 YEAR OLD.

Seriously, I am really appalled by your attitude. I really hope you are not an educator responsible for children.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Talk about burying your head in the sand. Whether you want it to happen or not, if she wants to, it will happen. And news flash? She'll probably enjoy it. That's why it's called sex.

I'd rather she know how to be safe about doing it than not.

It's not my attitude that's the problem, it's the attitude that kids can't handle an open and honest talk about sex without rushing out to get laid. That's what causes disease and teen pregnancy.

It seems your attitude is to ignore it and not talk about it until she turns 18, which is a shame and a true disservice to her.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM

693 posts, read 1,607,339 times
There's no head burying. I would never condone a 14 year old having sex, nor do anything which would show my approval of this, implied or otherwise.

You are taking the lazy way out, which seems to be the norm in today's society. Which is why there is such a drastic increase in teenage pregnancy. Congratulations.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Talk about burying your head in the sand. Whether you want it to happen or not, if she wants to, it will happen. And news flash? She'll probably enjoy it. That's why it's called sex.

I'd rather she know how to be safe about doing it than not.

It's not my attitude that's the problem, it's the attitude that kids can't handle an open and honest talk about sex without rushing out to get laid. That's what causes disease and teen pregnancy.

It seems your attitude is to ignore it and not talk about it until she turns 18, which is a shame and a true disservice to her.
That is not what I am saying. I am saying how is the teaching absitinence flawed? You didn't answer my question.

I fully believe in teaching safe sex and having an open dialogue with my children, head is not buried in the sand.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
There's no head burying. I would never condone a 14 year old having sex, nor do anything which would show my approval of this, implied or otherwise.

You are taking the lazy way out, which seems to be the norm in today's society. Which is why there is such a drastic increase in teenage pregnancy. Congratulations.
So I'm responsible for the increase because I advocate informing teens of all aspects of sex, not just burying my head in the sand and refusing to talk to them? You have some Sarah Palin logic going there. The lazy way out is not doing the responsible, adult thing and having an open discussion with kids about sex.

"Don't do it!! That's all I'm going to say on the matter!"

or

"It's not the best choice, but if you do, you should use birth control and practice safe sex. Here's how to do that."

Yeah, your way is so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education