Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times

Advertisements

Mississippienne said it quite well. My thoughts on learning one or more other languages is that it will help one understand their own language even better.

English is my native language here in the US, but I started learning Spanish at a young age as a second language. By the time I was in high school I could carry on a good conversation in Spanish and had a good vocabulary. Spent one year of HS in Chile, didn't speak English hardly at all for a year. Spanish got pegged into my brain on almost an equal par with English, and that was 36 years ago. Spanish is a 2nd language I use daily here in CA.
In my 20s, spent 3+ years in Germany while in US Army. Took lots of German classes, spent lots of time off post with German people and had a GF that didn't speak English. She taught me German quite well, but my grammar in writing isn't very good. A large number of words in English are derived from German so some aspects of the German are self intuitive.
In my 30s, worked in several parts of the former USSR on contract jobs on several occasions lasting many months. Learned basic Russian. Once you learn the 33 letter cyrillic alphabet, Russian is really not difficult to pronounce, read or speak. Unlike English, Russian is phonetically written. I still have a good enough survival vocabulary to get by OK over there, would like to visit again. A couple of women I know at work are from Eastern Europe and know Russian as a second language - we greet each other in the hallways sometimes in Russian just for fun.

Knowing a language besides your native one is la little adventure that can open your eyes and open doors in ways that are hard to describe. It's a good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
hello sir i want to learn spanish as correspondence course can i do

Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,647 times
Hi.
I'm Italian and I tell you that Italian language is very difficult for the grammar because it's must complex.
English is the primary language in the world and learn its very important and basic!

I try to learn English (sorry for my terrible mistakes ).
For me it's difficult but the grammar is more easy than Italian.
French is complex to write because there are many accentes.

I recommend you to learn English.

ciao

Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
The best way to learn a language is to live in the country for a while ( I would say a minimum of 3 months), read a lot and watch TV, listen to the the Radio...
A course will teach you the basics, grammar etc... but to become truly fluent , you must learn about cultural background and how people think as well as to what they say. I found reading crucial in my learning of English and still do. It will teach your brain how the language looks, widen your vocabulary and make you understand the cultural differences between the country of your birth and your target language country. English is currently obviously the most useful for business, but Mandarin is now becoming a hugely useful trading tool. I believe learning languages should be fun though, and it shouldn't be all about making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education