Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Eleven-year-old Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover liked football, basketball and playing video games with his little brother.

Woman tells lawmakers about son's bullying, suicide - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
Bullying will continue to escalate, because schools do nothing about it. I had to take my son out of public school due to bullying. We currently homeschool, and plan to send him to private school when financially able. Its amazing how many kids are homeschooled because of bullying in public schools. The schools always put the blame on the bullied kid and his parents, they never do anything about the bully and probably never will.

We complained to the school, which made matters worse. They sent my son to counseling, essentially, he was told to put up with it. They never did anything about the bully. he was also told not to defend himself, just stand there and let the bully beat on him until he got the attention of an "appropriate" adult.

Teachers side with bullys, because its the power source, its how they control the classs, by siding with them. We've considered legal action, and have consulted attornies, but all that costs money. Besides, it puts the kid through hell. They kept sending him to counseling, labeled him as emotionally disturbed. Their psychological reports never referred to the bullies, just to his reaction, ie, he appears sad and lonely. They failed to provide an emotionally safe environment for him, while letting the little group of bullies get away with whatever they pleased, emotional and physical abuse. The teachers just shrugged it off, or sent him to counseling.

We decided the school system has had him for 13 years, enough is enough. Funny, he does just fine in other environments, just "emotionally disturbed" while in school.

How many tragedies due to bullying will continue to happen? Unless and until the school just tells the bully to knock it off, these types of tragedies will continue.

My heartfelt prayers for this child, validates my decision to take my child out before he becomes another statistic.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
We complained to the school, which made matters worse. They sent my son to counseling, essentially, he was told to put up with it. They never did anything about the bully. he was also told not to defend himself, just stand there and let the bully beat on him until he got the attention of an "appropriate" adult.
Counseling? I'd send him to counseling all right - at an accredited Karate or other self-defense school. To tell a child not to defend him or herself and let the bully beat the snot out of them until they can procure the attention of an "appropriate" adult, is nothing short of abuse IMHO.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Eleven-year-old Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover liked football, basketball and playing video games with his little brother.

Woman tells lawmakers about son's bullying, suicide - CNN.com

Horrible.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Counseling? I'd send him to counseling all right - at an accredited Karate or other self-defense school. To tell a child not to defend him or herself and let the bully beat the snot out of them until they can procure the attention of an "appropriate" adult, is nothing short of abuse IMHO.

Ah, but when he did just that, defended himself, he was sent to detention. There's a lot more to the story, I've been ecouraged to take it to the media, you're right, the school was abusing him.

But I realized he has 5 more years of PS, then he graduates. We would probably spend all those 5 years fighting in court, making our lives a 3-ring circus, and get nowhere. I have the option to take him out, I'm in a position to homeschool, just do whatever works best for him. This last year of homeschooling has been such a relief, he's done a grade and half level, no lacking for social activities, sometimes I feel I''m run ragged taking him around, but we're both happy, that's all that matters. BHesides, lawyers cost money, its cheaper to send him to private school and go forward with our lives!

To think we pay taxes for that!

But, like I said, this is how schools handle bullying. Its not just my kid, I've heard it from others as well. They send the bullied child to counseling, and label him (the bullied child) as being a social misfit. It also helps to label the entire family as misfits, we had CPS out here 3X's for utter nonsense, we know the school sent them but you're never supposed to know who the "reporter" is.

I'm afraid incidents like this will continue, and the more anti-bullying laws we have the worse it will get. Bullying doesn't happen in well-managed school, so, if a parent complains their child is being bullied, they and their child are somehow to blame. Besides, teachers like bullies, its a way to control the class via proxy!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Default Sue them.

Document everything.
Take him to your doctor and have him seen for being assaulted.

Then go to the local police department and file assault charges.

Tell the police your son was simply defending himself and warding off the blows.

Stick to your story.

When you are right, you're right.

Then get an attorney. That is the only way you will get this school to take notice.

So far, you haven't filed a lawsuit, but if you do, they won't like it one bit.

I'd sue the school for going after your son when he defended himself against constant bullying and the constant harrassment.

The school won't work with you. They don't care. We would like to think educators care about our children but they don't.

You have to be tough here.

But anytime there is an incident, go right to the police department. If you file assault charges, stick with them. This bully will wind up in juvenile court.

And don't let the school sweet-talk you. It doesn't matter what they think.

Tell the attorney you think they are biased against your son because they punished him for self-defense, when the bully has constantly harrassed and assaulted him, and you made the school aware of it.

Find yourself the meanest, hungriest attorney in town.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Also, I would not send my child to counseling. The hidden message to your child is that he was the problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Document everything.
Take him to your doctor and have him seen for being assaulted.

Then go to the local police department and file assault charges.

Tell the police your son was simply defending himself and warding off the blows.

Stick to your story.

When you are right, you're right.

Then get an attorney. That is the only way you will get this school to take notice.

So far, you haven't filed a lawsuit, but if you do, they won't like it one bit.

I'd sue the school for going after your son when he defended himself against constant bullying and the constant harrassment.

The school won't work with you. They don't care. We would like to think educators care about our children but they don't.

You have to be tough here.

But anytime there is an incident, go right to the police department. If you file assault charges, stick with them. This bully will wind up in juvenile court.

And don't let the school sweet-talk you. It doesn't matter what they think.

Tell the attorney you think they are biased against your son because they punished him for self-defense, when the bully has constantly harrassed and assaulted him, and you made the school aware of it.

Find yourself the meanest, hungriest attorney in town.
Been there, done that. Believe me, it simply doesn't work. they just turn it back on you. Like I said, the school sent CPS out here 3x on ridiculous charges, made our lives hell. And the meaniest, hungriest lawyers cost plenty, about $175-$200/hour, and they charge by the nannosecond.

One word to the wise, I would NEVER allow the school to send your child to counseling, they twisted around everything he said and labeled him as emotionally disturbed and us, his parents, as abusive. Yep, they will do anything to keep their record clean, no bullying happens here, this is a perfect school, there's definitely a problem with the child and family.

We're happier now with him just out of there, sometimes you just cut your losses. You have to decide what's best for the child, the school was an abusive environment, even his doctor said to just get him out of there!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Also, I would not send my child to counseling. The hidden message to your child is that he was the problem.

That's exactly right!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
people always look at the suicide or the shooting but never what led up to it. a whole lota stuff gets swept under the rug in K12, voucher sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education