Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

When students in Abilene, Texas, return to class in six weeks they better not be caught using their cell phones.

Students Hit With $15 Fine For Using Cells in School - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
"Besides, she said, the cell phone usage policy is unfair, especially when "the teachers are using them in the classroom." Unquote

Well here's an idea - don't let anyone bring their cell phone into the classroom. Most cell phones have voice mail capabilities for those who simply cannot live without their leash, and let's not forget that cell phones weren't even around short of a few years ago. What in "H" did they do back then? Paying a fine in pennies rather than simply making the kid leave the phone in his or her locker seems petty and immature IMHO. One would hope the fines would come out of the kid's allowance. Natural consequences are often the best lessons of all.

While I can understand the need to reach a child and the need for a child to be able to reach a parent in an emergency, my guess is that there are plenty of landlines (and last I knew they still employed secretaries to get messages to teachers in emergencies) in most schools. Leave the cell phones for after school.

No wonder test scores are supposedly so low. It's kind of hard to concentrate on what's being taught if you're texting your significant other 2 rows down, or surfing the internet right in the middle of class.

Last edited by cebdark; 07-15-2009 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: fixed sentence

Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
When I catch students using the phone in my classroom, I take the phone. If they behave during class, then I give the phone back to them after school. If they give me a problem, then the phone goes to their staff center principal and the parent has to pick up the phone. As for the Abilene district, what happens if a student doesn't have $15? I don't believe that a school can keep a phone that doesn't belong to the district.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:20 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,340 times
While I disagree with the fine, I do think they are being progressive in trying to combat cell phone usage in the classroom. As a high school teacher I can tell you phones are a BIG problem for SO many reasons.

The real issue with cell phones is there is no parental back up when it comes to students not using them during the day. I would say that 40% of the kids I've caught were honestly texting their own parent, who should know that between 8 and 3 their kid is in school and should not be using a cell phone. Untill the parents see the phones in class as a problem we are just fighting a loosing battle. Unfortunatly the only ones suffering are the kids because they are to wrapped up in their phone to learn anything else.

Last edited by kickchick2000; 07-15-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
While I disagree with the fine, I do think they are being progressive in trying to combat cell phone usage in the classroom. As a high school teacher I can tell you phones a BIG problem for several reasons:
The pesky number 1.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I used to work with someone who called and texted her kids during the school day! I never understood why a parent would do that - there was no emergency, and she knew they were in class. What was so important that it couldn't wait?

I'd be fine with a policy saying no phones allowed in the classroom. Keep them at home or in the lockers.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,739 times
Phones should not be allowed in school. They shouold be left in their lockers or confiscated, plain and simple. If there is an emergency, call the office, if you just need to let them know evening plans, send them a text or leave a message that can be read later. It' s really not rocket science. But parents are the ones who need to be instilling this rule, schools shouldn't have to deal with this, they have enough to worry about.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Not fair bc teachers have phones? mod cut inappropriate language
Teachers are not students. This is a 'do as I say' situation.
I mean, really? Kids are trying to put themselves on par with adults?
Smackdown in order.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-22-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,914 times
People are taking the phones everywhere and that's not only rude but dangerous. (Like people texting while driving). So I think it's a good idea so establish rules for it's use.

And I don't buy the need of a phone in case of a child's emergency. Even my generation (and I'm in my twenties) grew up without them and oh surprise, we are still alive. Kids need to pay full attention in class to improve their grades and their scores.

I agree with stan4. Teachers are not students and they, being in charge of other people, need to take care of possible emergencies, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I mean, really? Kids are trying to put themselves on par with adults?
Smackdown in order.
exactly

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

223 posts, read 532,034 times
Cell phones have not always been around, we got a hold of people prior to them......so couldn't the school give the child a message?

I sat in a Master's level science class last year, and the nimrod sitting next to me texted during the entire lecture. I don't understand their place in any school.....it makes cheating very easy.

As fas as teacher's and students having the same rights.....that is another thread. I see that statement as the equivlent of lying on the floor and kicking your feet because so and so got to do something you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education