Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is education important for teachers
All teachers including homeschooling parents should be educated. 65 79.27%
School teachers should be educated but parents don't need an education to teach 8 9.76%
Education is overrated. Neither teachers or parents need one to teach 9 10.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd rep you if I could.
You schoolfolk could easily rep one another, y'know, if you'd stop isolating yourselves in the Ed forum. Get out occasionally. Go to other forums, read other posts, and spread your rep points.

And yes, Gentle Reader, the sound the sound you just heard was a room full of Irony Meters (TM) melting down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I think "society" should sue for malpractice before they start outlawing homeschool.
Hereby nominated for the best one-liner of the day!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd rep you if I could.

Too many kids grow up thinking society owes them instead of them owing society. Where do these groups get the idea they are so special when compared to everyone else?

Well, with all due respect, y'all are the ones who say my kid is special (points to big ol' SpEd label). Of course, that's because she doesn't fit into one of those boxes you're so fond of. At home, we don't keep her in a box-- she's just part of the gang.

As for society owing...where do you get this silliness? Quote the post of mine or Becky's or Charles's that says society owes any of our kids anything?

You can't.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Hereby nominated for the best one-liner of the day!

Thanks. I caution you, though, it's early, and Charles hasn't signed on yet.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 AM

223 posts, read 531,627 times
How about we sue parents for not doing their jobs, because lets face it teen pregnancy, alcoholism, and other assorted other problems are not just the problems of public education. Public schools have the burden of taking on all of the problems without a key solution, parent involvement. It is not the school's job to police the issues labeled above, although the schools take it on anyway. The goal of the public school is to provide an education to the masses, yet they also have the task of teaching morals to a society of kids who do not have them. If there were more parents involved then the issues above would be tackled at home where they should.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
home schooling is 2nd rate education but 1st rate moral training and 1st rate safety.
K12 is dangerous--- voucher sooner the better.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Thanks. I caution you, though, it's early, and Charles hasn't signed on yet.
That's a good point. I'm waiting with bated breath for his take on all this.

Just for kicks, I'll add this personal development to the conversation:

My spouse and I have been mulling over taking the kids on the road for a year in an RV in 2011. Although we have yet to work out the details, it seems entirely doable. Life has been very good to us. We recently paid off our house, which we'll rent out while we're away, and my husband can take a sabbatical or consult from the road, so why not? We are fully capable of homeschooling the kids through fourth-grade and seventh-grade, and we'll re-enroll them in public school at the end of our adventure. It's a big, beautiful world that we only go around once, and we'd love to discover it together. Anyone else ever thought of doing this?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
I think that sounds like a lot of fun!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
but apparently you think that the government agencies, or "we as a community" have some type of ownership over children! LOL
No.
I think parents have the responsibility to protect their children.
If they can not or will not do that, then the state has the responsibility to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

I don't understand your negativity about this. The state may be an imperfect solution but who else can or will do that job?

You certainly do not advocate allowing children to be left as sheep in a wolves' den?

Yeah, I get it that you don't like the state stepping in - but then, who should or can?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That's a good point. I'm waiting with bated breath for his take on all this.

Just for kicks, I'll add this personal development to the conversation:

My spouse and I have been mulling over taking the kids on the road for a year in an RV in 2011. Although we have yet to work out the details, it seems entirely doable. Life has been very good to us. We recently paid off our house, which we'll rent out while we're away, and my husband can take a sabbatical or consult from the road, so why not? We are fully capable of homeschooling the kids through fourth-grade and seventh-grade, and we'll re-enroll them in public school at the end of our adventure. It's a big, beautiful world that we only go around once, and we'd love to discover it together. Anyone else ever thought of doing this?
Have you read the book "One Year Off: Leaving it All Behind for a Round-the-World Journey With Our Children", by David Elliott Cohen? It's not an RV, but it would be direclty relevant. Frankly, that's almost the only scenario for myself that I could imagine personally homeschooling, but I would do it in a minute if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education