Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times

Advertisements

Yes, we are.

We're faced with finite resources and we're not doing justice to the 90% of students who don't need special ed by placing 40% of the budget into the hands of the 10% that do.

I don't know if it is 40% but I do know it is much higher.

Having an education in this country should be viewed as a privilege and not a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks so. It is frightening that we are shafting so many of the regular kids who can make a difference in favor of those who may always need help and a crutch. I am not against helping those who are not as fortunate as myself or my kids, but who is going to lead this country in the future ? that is the scary part.

d

Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks so. It is frightening that we are shafting so many of the regular kids who can make a difference in favor of those who may always need help and a crutch. I am not against helping those who are not as fortunate as myself or my kids, but who is going to lead this country in the future ? that is the scary part.

d
I'm with you. Because the kids who don't need crutches will be the leaders, I think we have to serve them first. Not that we don't address the needs of special ed kids but we can't let it be at the expense of the kids for whom education will make a difference. My school's budget is, disproportionately, in favor of special ed. and I don't see that changing. Every time there is an increase (which we haven't had in years) special ed gets a bigger increase but when there are cuts, they come out of regular ed. or teacher benefits.

People need to wake up and realize what all these acoomodations are costing. If you want them, great. Just pay for them. Don't rob the general ed budget to put them in place.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

d
When my kids were younger we had rules.

No television. except for news and special broadcasts on a case by case basis, on school nights. Didn't matter if homework was done or not the boob tube stayed off.

I didn't demand all A's but I did demand work to the very best of their ability.

I read their textbooks and we talked about it around the dinner table.

I am proud to say mom and dad (that was both of us together) never once missed a single parent-teacher conference. We were always told the same thing "You don't need to be here" but we went anyway.

I made it a point for all the teachers to know if there was ever any sort of problem with performance they could call me anytime including on my cell phone or at work. I never did get a call but they knew they could.

Our girl had problems with inference. Can't blame her she was kind of like her dad where if you told her she had ants in her pants whe would start looking for ants. Taking things literally to extreme. Bless her little heart. Anyway, she had this problem and mom and dad took care of it by paying $3,000 over a two year period for a special tutor after school. I viewed this as our problem not the schools. Was this "special education"? My daughter finished college with a degree.

My big question is Where the He11 are the parents???

Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
As the parent of 3, all above average intelligence children, I can attest to having to advocate just as strongly for my gifted two as I have done for my learning disabled one.

Why does it have to be either/or? They are all entitled to an education, even if they don't all learn the same way.

While I think the spec. ed dollars are important, I also think they have been diluted by behavioral problem students. My son has done well with an IEP, and I think it is because he remained in the regular classroom. I would not want him in a disruptive setting. If a student's behavior is making it difficult for the others in the class to receive an education, than they belong in an alternative setting.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My answer to the question asked is yes, we are focusing too much on special ed. I listed some of the problems I have with kids who are special ed. I, in no way, implied or inferred that this group represents all special ed children or that all special ed children have these issues. I, simply, talked about the kinds of issues I see in my class with special ed students. Naturally, I wouldn't talk about special ed students I don't have issues with. They aren't creating a problem.
Your lack of qualifiers implies that this is a special ed issue, not an issue with one subset.
Smacking your head will probably not improve your cognitive skills.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes, we are.

We're faced with finite resources and we're not doing justice to the 90% of students who don't need special ed by placing 40% of the budget into the hands of the 10% that do.

I don't know if it is 40% but I do know it is much higher.

Having an education in this country should be viewed as a privilege and not a right.
An observer of our local school system would surmise that that is already the case, and that the privilege is reserved to those whose parents can provide an alternative.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
It really depends, there are some students who will a little help, will benefit a lot from special ed. and others that are a different story. I had an IEP because I had issues with my graphomotor skills such as slow processing and dysgraphia, which still bug me as my handwriting and spelling are testiments too. It really depends on the student to work through it and the educators to help them come up with strategies and that part I think is important. Now I do not think an entire class should be slowed down just for a few people, if someones LD prevents them from being in a class they should not be in that class, but I think it would be a mistake to remove special ed. teachers and advisors just as it would be a mistake to remove other programs that benefit a minority of studens such as tech, music, art, business and advanced/gifted classes.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Your lack of qualifiers implies that this is a special ed issue, not an issue with one subset.
Smacking your head will probably not improve your cognitive skills.
Please try taking my posts at face value instead of reading into them. It adds nothing to the debate.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm with you. Because the kids who don't need crutches will be the leaders, I think we have to serve them first. Not that we don't address the needs of special ed kids but we can't let it be at the expense of the kids for whom education will make a difference. My school's budget is, disproportionately, in favor of special ed. and I don't see that changing. Every time there is an increase (which we haven't had in years) special ed gets a bigger increase but when there are cuts, they come out of regular ed. or teacher benefits.

People need to wake up and realize what all these acoomodations are costing. If you want them, great. Just pay for them. Don't rob the general ed budget to put them in place.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education