Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

if you are getting assaulted in a school calling your mom and letting her know is a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
September 11, 2001

I was in school and everyone was scared and confused did not know what was going on so they used their phones to call home and receive calls. Yes they were banned but if the kids didn't have them I could only imagine the chaos that would have occurred.

In a time of a serious emergency it is not so simple as walk to the office and make a call. What if the school is locked down ? Stuck some where and there is a fire? So many different scenarios it is best just to ask them not to use them in class.
I don't have a problem w/ the students having them at school. As long as they are not USED. In the chance there is an extreme emergency like your describing......... I can totally justify that.

It is the PARENTS that are more the problem than it is the students. The parents that feel they need to get ahold of their kids no matter what be it while they are in class or not for miniscule things like:
pick up your sister
ride the bus
what time is practice again
can you ride home w/ ....
you forgot your lunch
pick up x at the store on your way home

THEN it is the parents that get mad they can't talk straight to their child anytime they want. What these parents don't realize is that the rest of us responsible parents sent our children to school to LEARN and we can handle waiting till after school to relay information or can call the school and leave a note for them. Most of the bs that parents are trying to "relay" to their kids half the time is their own responsibility to start with. Interupting school to do so in inexcusable.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Some children drive to school, others are bussed door to door. Some parents drop off and pick up their children. What about the child who walks or the ones who takes public transportation? Should they be left without a resource?

I, too, have sat in a car waiting for a child whose club meeting was dismissed later than expected. I've also received calls from my son because he was going to be late for one reason or another.

I know that this sounds a bit melodramatic, but if my kid was hiding in a closet at Columbine High during the massacre, I would have appreciated a text message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
When my oldest was in high school (private), cell phones were strictly forbidden. He had one, because the school was about 40 minutes away, and too many times he would be delayed, leaving me sitting for long periods of time in the parking lot with two unhappy siblings.

Then, 9/11. We were in NJ. The principal brought the student body into the gym, and asked anyone who had a cell phone to produce it. Nobody did, remember, they were forbidden. The principal had to promise their would be no repercussions if they had one. Those cell phones were used to contact the parents who were working in the city that day, which was the vast majority. The school wanted to know if everybody was safe before dismissing the students. Unfortunately, not every parent made it home. But, in this case, having those extra phones enabled the school to keep the kids with missing parents until they knew an adult was available. The school dropped the ban shortly thereafter.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Some children drive to school, others are bussed door to door. Some parents drop off and pick up their children. What about the child who walks or the ones who takes public transportation? Should they be left without a resource?

I, too, have sat in a car waiting for a child whose club meeting was dismissed later than expected. I've also received calls from my son because he was going to be late for one reason or another.

I know that this sounds a bit melodramatic, but if my kid was hiding in a closet at Columbine High during the massacre, I would have appreciated a text message.
Unfortunately, it seems not enough parents have taught their children proper phone etiquette and how to adhere to common-sense rules so that schools don't have to resort to such drastic measures. If parents want their kids to have the privilege, they need to teach them the responsibility.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
My son's school allows them and I am glad my son has a phone at school. It's in the locker during most the day. A few times I will get a call from him during the school day and he will say, "Hang on, my teacher wants to talk to you about something" and I get to chat with the teacher about whatever it is - scheduling a conference, a concept he his having trouble with, anything. I guess it's easier for the teacher to say, "John, can you get your mom on the phone, so I can ask her about this upcoming school trip" or whatever - or even as a discipline measure if necessary.

He also walks home after school and I like for him to have a phone for that walk.

Banning phones is crazy to me. Who wouldn't want to be able to talk or text with their child/parent during the day if something important comes up? Kids need to learn to be able to get work done even with that tempting phone in their pocket, because when they get to the workplace they will have to learn to work at their jobs without getting out their tempting cellphones or getting on the tempting internet. Perhaps they can learn that self-disciple as they are growing up?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I agree. Sorry to all of you who have taken the time to create great posts, I cannot reference, quote all of you right now. Teenagers are the most likely suspects in the the great cell phone, internet abuse game. I am sure that some of those children will abuse a privilege offered them. How do I know this? My son hacked the school computer system... three times - it was a challenge. He could never figure out how to change his grades, though all of his friends with laptops could access restricted games and other sites while pretending to be taking notes in class. Sometimes, we are foolish enough to think that we, as parents of older children, are in control.

Off Topic/ Someone sent a message about being a walker, public transportation student but did not leave a name. You don't have to, just want to let people know that if you send a reputation comment that we do not know who you are unless you include your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Unfortunately, it seems not enough parents have taught their children proper phone etiquette and how to adhere to common-sense rules so that schools don't have to resort to such drastic measures. If parents want their kids to have the privilege, they need to teach them the responsibility.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Problem is most of the time it is the PARENTS that don't know proper phone etiquette. With some of the "excuses" some parents give of needing to get ahold of their kids during school I'd be embarrased to call the school office to relay those messages too. Can you just see some mom calling the high school and leaving a message for Lil Johnny to pick up milk on the way home. It would be a different story if the school knew mom was home in bad health and Lil Johnny had to help out but for a normal able bodied ADULT to call for that. NO! That crap can wait till school is out to even be sent to the kid via a text message. THIS is why the schools have had to get tough on cell phones. Because the parents call their kids non stop all day over nothing of any importance. If you have to call your kid everyday for something while they are at school that is just plain poor planning on the parents part. More parents need to stop before they call or text their kid and think, if I had to call the school to send this message to him/her would I do it? If one even has to think about it then it most likely is something that can wait till school is out.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times
I agree with the ban. I mean...really...how did kids ever live life without a cell phone? If your kid rides the bus to and from school...they don't need one. If you pick your kid up after school, you can call the school with any messages ahead of time such as if they might have to wait for something or go home with someone else. If you are just lazy or only care about yourself and your kid is left waiting for you...BOO to you. If your kid is in after school sports, the coaches and leave the school after returning from a game until all the children are picked up. The coaches have access to phones and usually have a cell phone to use.

The only reason a parent needs their child to have a cell phone after school is because they are neglectful and let their kids go and do whatever they want. If this is the case, then I wish two grandkids on you before your kid finishes high school. i give you two thumbs down to your parenting skills.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree with the ban. It's hard to police though. We have a no cell phone policy where I teach but with 30 students in a class, they can be hard to catch. I wish they'd come up with some kind of blocking technology that just renders them useless inside the school building.
I think that would be a great idea.

Unfortunately, you'd have a few parents that would throw an absolute tirade. They, of course, are the parents whose kids are part of the problem...

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default students banned from having cell phones at school

School isn't the place for cell phones. Kids have a short enough attention span as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education