Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 65,939 times

Advertisements

So I am 17 and have been thinking for a couple of years that I would like to teach middle school kind of age eventually. But I am not sure yet what I really need to do in terms of college degree to achieve that and how long it will take.

Meanwhile I have been working Saturday's at this beauty salon and I enjoy it there too and like working with people. Well the owner has offered me a partial sponsorship to go to cosmetology school locally and still work with them part time if I want to go and do hair.

It's like so different but so tempting too. Maybe just because it feels familiar. But I know I'd have a job at the end of it which I don't know with teaching and yet I don't see myself doing hair at 40 and being happy with it. I wondered about doing cosmetology now and working for a bit and then going back to college to do teaching later, but my mom said I might think that now but once life happens I will never do it. She thinks I should do teaching if that's my real dream, but now I am not sure, or maybe am scared of the unknown and debt.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,430 times
I say do what interests you but I will caution you on choosing what seems easiest. You have a long life ahead of you, if you have to bust butt a little now to do what you really enjoy, it will be well worth it.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
While I don't know what is best for you, I'll pass on the story of my mother-in-law. She had the opportunity to go to beauty school (which is what they called it then) or college. She chose beauty school, and has since said that it was the wrong choice. She did hair for awhile, never did get back to school, and while she ended up with a decent job it's also the kind of job it would be difficult to get without a college degree in this day and age. I haven't asked her directly about your question, but I'm guessing that her answer would be that unless you have a real passion for cosmetology you should go with the college option.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 65,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
While I don't know what is best for you, I'll pass on the story of my mother-in-law. She had the opportunity to go to beauty school (which is what they called it then) or college. She chose beauty school, and has since said that it was the wrong choice. She did hair for awhile, never did get back to school, and while she ended up with a decent job it's also the kind of job it would be difficult to get without a college degree in this day and age. I haven't asked her directly about your question, but I'm guessing that her answer would be that unless you have a real passion for cosmetology you should go with the college option.
Thanks to both of you. uptown_urbanist, thanks for sharing this. I think your mother-in-law's story is what my mom fears most for me and me too a bit. Like, I think I will do hair for a few years and earn some more money and experience of life and then go back to college and then teach, but that life will get in the way and that I will never then make the move.

Food for thought. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watgirljl View Post
Thanks to both of you. uptown_urbanist, thanks for sharing this. I think your mother-in-law's story is what my mom fears most for me and me too a bit. Like, I think I will do hair for a few years and earn some more money and experience of life and then go back to college and then teach, but that life will get in the way and that I will never then make the move.

Food for thought. Thanks.
I would advise you to go to college first. It will be MUCH easier to go back to cosmetology school later in life than college. You could actually do both if you wanted. You could teach during the school year and cut hair in the summer. Your opportunities are endless going to college and more limited if not.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM

728 posts, read 1,782,265 times
"Teach Cosmetology?"

Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Nice of your employer to offer to help pay for cosmotology school, but if it's not what you want to do, then I would pass. Work hard to get good grades and learn about different ways to save money, and hopefully you won't have to incur much or any debt to become a teacher. There are also loan forgiveness programs for teachers with student loans who teach in high-need areas.
Best of luck!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I think the problem is that we all tend to think of the first career also being your last or only one. I think there is nothing wrong with starting out in cosmetology and going to school on the side for a business degree with the idea of one day owning a salon. I think being a teacher, especially one for MS kids, is a calling. There are too many mediocre teachers in our schools now that are not passionate and burn out after a few years. And yes, the job market is pretty bad for teachers right now and is not predicted to get better any time soon.

Some of the most successful teachers are ones that had another career first.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education