Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

I think I am going to start to find our 'good' place to move by locating the best schools in various areas. It's important where we move has good schools as our top priority.

If anyone knows of a website, let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
I think I am going to start to find our 'good' place to move by locating the best schools in various areas. It's important where we move has good schools as our top priority. If anyone knows of a website, let me know. Thanks.
Try this site: Find school information

It is nationwide in scope. Fairly user-intuitive. Start with the national map and drill down into a state of your choice. Site has a wealth of data. For example, I drilled down into high school data for my hometown (Baltimore), finding that specific inner cities schools were dismal, i.e., only 5% of 10th grade students met Math and English standards, etc.

Many (most?) states have websites for school ratings, once you like a certain state, try googling for the data or visit that state Forum.

There are any number of ways to judge school quality. None are foolproof. Data is data, not knowledge. Note that DC ranks highest, but many folks find the schools there very poor. Meanwhile, MD is a respectable 13th, and schools in Montgomery County are nationally acclaimed, but keep in mind my example above about inner city schools in Baltimore, MD. Over In VA, ranked 24th, Fairfax County schools also are nationally acclaimed and school bond issues there are always approved by overwhelming margins. Both counties love their kids and their schools. Data is just data, it needs to be understood within some context to impart value, and as always, "your mileage may vary."

For best results, use the data with your favorite realtor site, as the MLS listings usually give the name of the schools for a given home.

Other issues that cloud the picture when determining quality of schools.....
- All states, all school districts, have issues, controversies, funding matters.
- All states, districts and schools have good points and weak points.
- Teachers are people, their qualities will vary from classroom to classroom. Most are poorly paid. We should value them more!
- Investment in schools can vary greatly between the states.
- Quality of School Districts can vary within a state.
- Quality of schools can vary within districts.
- Districts with lots of Advanced Placement classes and Inter-Baccalaureate schools can be considered very good to excellent districts.
- Most realtors can tell you all about schools in their area. If not, find another realtor. (I'm not one.)

Note to all readers:
- Now that we have the sites and tips posted, please use these and google to do your research on schools. If you still get stuck and need a hand, then ask a question. We who give of our own time haven't time to reply to an unending string of the same questions over and over, it just buries the site in repetitive postings. We prefer that people add to the body of knowledge here with postings that are additive to the site's value. All that being said, thanks to GypsySoul22 for asking a great question and getting us started on a new topic. If you have sites or data to add, please do so. Thanks! s/Mike

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 06:01 AM..

Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Default Picking a Good School

Here's a link from the Washington Post, 08 Aug 2006, for an article on how to pick a good school for your children. Although some of the author's info is specific to the DC area, the tips he gives are generic and good for anywhere....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032304321.html

s/Mike

Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Okay I wrote about this once on the Oregon Forum. You'll need to be able to decide on a city in order to check out the schools.

First go to Realtor.com then write in the city and click for the state just as if you were looking for houses there. Once you get up your list of houses click on one to bring up the desription of the house with the pictures. Now scroll down past the description of the house to a list of links. One will say school information. You are going to click that link. It will give you some bare facts like how many students per teacher in several different schools in the area. You'll probably want more information so figure out which schools you want to know about. Then click the link for a free school report. This will give you more details about the schools you are concerned about.

I know when you have children you are bound to want good schools for them so check it out. I hope this is of some help to you and others.

Waterlily

Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
From a very general, nationwide perspective, you'll find (as common sense would tell you) that schools are generally "better" in wealthier, suburban communities...nicer homes=more property taxes=more revenue for schools. You'll find better facilities, better paid teachers, etc. Parents in these districts are typically more involved and have more resources to help their kids through school. Inner-city schools in large urban areas often have more problems with budgets, teacher turnover, gangs, etc. but of course that's not always the case. But another thing to remember is some of the wealthier districts can appear "on paper" better than they really are...often you have parents that are TOO involved and things like grade inflation,favoritism and politics can become real problems.

The upper Midwest (ND, MN, WI, IA) traditionally have a reputaion for good schools and a work ethic that values education, but of course the quality of individual districts and schools within districts can very widely, just like anywhere else.

Websites like greatschools (referenced above) will give you data on things like test scores, percentage of students on free/reduced lunch, percentage of teachers with an MA or higher, student/teacher ratio, etc. It's a good place to start and those indicators can give you a pretty good idea of what those schools/districts are like, but of course they don't tell the whole story.

Other things to consider are

school size: do you want a large urban/suburban school with lots of classes and sports/clubs/organizations to pick from or a smaller, more rural school where the teachers know all the kids by name?

population: do you want an elite, but mostly "white" school or a more diverse mix where your kids can learn and interact with people of different backgrounds than themselves?

school focus: do you want a school with a strong "back to basics" approach or are you more interested in a magnet school that emphasizes the arts, sciences or business?

your child's needs: is your child and A+ student in need of challenging AP or IB classes (referenced above) or does he/she struggle and need a school with an outstanding speical education program? Is your student a great musician or athlete who wants to compete in state tournaments/contests or a more "well rounded" kid who wants to join the track team or play in the band for fun (and actually have a chance to join those respective groups without having to be "the best"?)

Finally, as someone who works in the education field, I can say that a lot of what you and your child get out of your child's education depends on how much effort you and your child put into it. I've worked in both urban, "inner city" districts as well as a very small, rural district and I've found that the kids who really try (especially if they have supportive parents) usually do fine no matter where they are or what their parents' own background is. Most teachers, counselors and administrators are MORE than happy to give your child some extra help if you're willing to work with us. We all have a tough job (you as parents to raise your kids, and we as educators to teach them) and it is essential that we work together, not against each other!

Just my .02

Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 AM

165 posts, read 926,002 times
Thumbs up Anyone know how to find THE BEST Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
I think I am going to start to find our 'good' place to move by locating the best schools in various areas. It's important where we move has good schools as our top priority.

If anyone knows of a website, let me know. Thanks.

It really does depend on the State then City you choose to look at. For example, in Maryland we find often the best schools are in either Howard or Calvert County which are not really even close in proximity to one another. Both have similar records and without talking to the families that live near these schools and have experienced it first hand you'd probably never really hear the rave reviews from outside the state. We have a neighbor who was teacher of the year for a Middle school, but that information isn't broadcasted...you would have had to go into the school and read the plaques then know the person to make the connection.

I find pure statistics never really do a school system justice since in my opinion a lot of the intangibles are what's necessary to getting a good experieince out of a school. The Teacher / Student ratio doesn't always reflect how good the attention is given per student for example, etc...

It really will come down to the type of area you're looking to live in, the amount of money you're willing to spend as a premium to be in the good areas, and the type of neighbors you'll feel most comfortable with having that drives a lot of the other intangibles to give you a good experieince. I think MidNiteBreeze gave excellent guidance in this regard.

Good luck in your search.

John

Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 PM

59 posts, read 325,216 times
Here is Newseek's rankings.... The top 1200 schools in the US... Basically the top 4%.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/ (broken link)

Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 27,094 times
Default Great School websites

Hi! We are relocating to FL and I've been heavily researching school districts in that state. Here are a few informative, helpful websites:
greatschools.net
schooldigger.com
schoolmatters.com
psk12.com
just4kids.com
neighborhoodscout.com

Also, check out Newsweek magazine's "Top 1,300 High Schools" in the U.S. for all years beginning with 2000. Newsweek - National News, World News, Health, Technology, Entertainment and more... | Newsweek.com

Hope this helps!
magilla

Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
America’s Best High Schools: The Catching-Up List

A list of schools that have earned high marks for challenging their students despite the odds, but need better scores.

America's Best High Schools: The Catching-Up List - Newsweek

Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
America’s Best High Schools: The Catching-Up List

A list of schools that have earned high marks for challenging their students despite the odds, but need better scores.

America's Best High Schools: The Catching-Up List - Newsweek
I hope you realize that this list is just a list of how many kids take the AP tests, right? They don't even have to do well on them, just take them. A school requires all kids to take an AP test and now they are #1 in the nation??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education