Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,163 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 years old, a student of a gymnasium from the Czech republic.

Currently, I'm deciding whether to study either in the UK or at home, in the Czech republic.

The university I would like to study in the Czech republic is one of the best in Europe, but I believe that it doesn't have such a ''name'' like those British universities have. (Well, have you ever heard of Charles University?)

A couple of universities I would like to study in the United Kingdom aren't that good. On the scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is being the best), I would qualify them as 2 or 3, but their ''name'' I think sounds better globally.

I would like to study marketing.

In future, I would like to work in USA - I recently came back and discovered that this is a place to be for me - I understand, that at this time, the job market in the U.S. is on decrease, but after I'll be done with my university, it will be hopefully fine.

Thank you so much and excuse my English please,

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I have heard of Charles (and if they had more programs in English, would consider getting a masters degree there!) so I really don't think the name will hurt you. Unless you can get into Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, or UCL, it might not be worth the expense. Prague is much cheaper to live in than England.

What unis are you looking at in the UK?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have heard of Charles (and if they had more programs in English, would consider getting a masters degree there!) so I really don't think the name will hurt you. Unless you can get into Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, or UCL, it might not be worth the expense. Prague is much cheaper to live in than England.

What unis are you looking at in the UK?
Thanks for a useful advice charolastra.

In the UK, I've been looking at Teesside, Plymouth, London South Bank and University of East London.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Thanks for a useful advice charolastra.

In the UK, I've been looking at Teesside, Plymouth, London South Bank and University of East London.
All of those are "new" Universities. If you want to study in the UK you should be looking at a more established institution. It does not have to be Oxford, Cambridge or the LSE which are broadly equivalent to Yale or Harvard. It can be Durham, Manchester, Glasgow or Bristol. They would be broadly equivalent to a regular Ivy League or to a Boston College.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
As far as name recognition in the US, your Czech school is probably going to be equal to the UK schools you list. Maybe in a specific field people will be familiar with them, but in general I'm guessing that to the average non-UK employer there won't be any difference. Or, for that matter, they might well be more likely to have heard of Charles than they will the UK schools listed.

If you really want to live in the US, have you thought about any American universities?

There are a lot of factors, of course, but if I were you I'd go with the best school (which sounds like Charles, for both academics and for name recognition), then possibly supplement it with a year or a semester studying abroad. If your end goal is a job in the US then maybe do a semester at an American school that incorporates some internship possibilities or other opportunities to make potential job contacts.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
As far as name recognition in the US, your Czech school is probably going to be equal to the UK schools you list. Maybe in a specific field people will be familiar with them, but in general I'm guessing that to the average non-UK employer there won't be any difference. Or, for that matter, they might well be more likely to have heard of Charles than they will the UK schools listed.

If you really want to live in the US, have you thought about any American universities?

There are a lot of factors, of course, but if I were you I'd go with the best school (which sounds like Charles, for both academics and for name recognition), then possibly supplement it with a year or a semester studying abroad. If your end goal is a job in the US then maybe do a semester at an American school that incorporates some internship possibilities or other opportunities to make potential job contacts.
This is good advice. Go to the best school you can get into. The only advantage to going to the UK school is probably that your English will improve (although your post is written pretty well so your skills seem pretty good already, but I'd take English classes or do things to improve your language skills while in University). If you want to work in the US, though, you really might want to consider going to school in the US, with full time or part of some exchange program. You can always go to graduate school in the US and it will be easier to get into a US graduate school from a better academic university, which of the two options is in the Czech Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education