Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM

11 posts, read 18,986 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for all the problems that you are having. I live in western oklahoma so we get alot of that crap in the smaller schools here. Its always over race or religion. Just keep up with it like you have been doing and I would suggest finding at least 1 or 2 parents that would make good allies...try talking to the other black kids mother to see if she is having the same problems.
I am not black and neither are my kids but over half of my sons friends and cousins are. My cousin and one of my best friends had alot of racial problems in our little one mile square town. Eventually they just both moved to a nearby town with a bit more diversity. Our town actually had a sign outside of town that said "if you're black dont let the sun set on your back!" less than 35 years ago! It just agrivates me to no end because the sign may be gone but the attitudes still remain and nobody here sees a problem with it. Even with multiracial children in our own family I still have family members that are racist. I can be almost completely sure that things here wont change anytime in the near future but I hope they do in your school. I am just busy trying to get my three young kids(4 yrs, 2 yrs, and 11 m.) out of here before a damn bit of that way of thinking rubs off! Even if it means avoiding certain family members!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
This is just me, but you seem to be coming across as someone who is actively looking for racism. You seem to be the angry person who takes offense at any thing and label it as racism whether it is or isn't. If you walk into this situation with a huge chip on your shoulder then that attitude will come across chrystal clear and push people away.
Speaking of perpetuating stereotypes about blacks.

I felt no such vibes from her post. Maybe you're actively looking for the "angry black."

Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"It's still the same school district." has nothing to how one teacher teaches and grades from another...

"The teacher lost her work on purpose." prove it!

I think YOU are the problem.... all of a sudden your little darling is no longer the little darling in the new school and you don't like it..so you choose to turn it into a race issue...
No offense, but you sound more emotional than OP does. "Little darling?" Also, you are aware that she doesn't have to prove anything to you. Right?

The situation definitely sounds like a race issue to me. And it is sickening that it is happening.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 18,986 times
Who are these people fooling! We know its about race but you have to get those people on here that try to make it seem like there are no racial problems in the world today. Like it all just went away years ago. IT DIDNT! We all know that there are still racial issues out there and based on everything that the OP wrote on here I think that we all know that this is one of those issues. I am basing that in the OP's way of explaining it, the facts and issues that she wrote about, and personal experience with rampant racial problems in my own town. The people that come on here trying to make it into something else are more than likely the ones that have issues over race themselves, be it because they are blind to racisim or due to the fact that they themselves(no matter if they admit it or not) are racist for one reason or another!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM

124 posts, read 270,756 times
It is about race, but I am still hopeful. She has one more year at this school. I know the people at my sons middle school. They are not having it! A little racism is everywhere. Once we all come together at the middle school, their racist acts will be the minority. My daughter will encouter wonderful black teachers again, wonderful white teachers. All nationalities that really care about their students. I just hope no damage will be done to her self-esteem.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
It is about race, but I am still hopeful. She has one more year at this school. I know the people at my sons middle school. They are not having it! A little racism is everywhere. Once we all come together at the middle school, their racist acts will be the minority. My daughter will encouter wonderful black teachers again, wonderful white teachers. All nationalities that really care about their students. I just hope no damage will be done to her self-esteem.
Maybe you can do a little research on what black parents told their children, who were integrating schools back in the day, in order to keep them strong. There are some books and/or movies out there that are appropriate for her age. The inspriation from these stories may be dated but just as useful in her situation today. Just a thought.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I disagree. I think her story sounds fairly credible.
I see you are even not 100% sure..

I could come in here an make up a story that would have you in tears... but that doesn't mean it's true.

One way for her to prove it is to give me the teachers e-mail in a PM and I'll invite the teacher in here..

She shouldn't mind if the teacher defends her/him self..

Let's see how fast I get that e-mail address...

Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Just because someone claims racism, doesnt mean they are just trying to use the "race card".
And I agree with you but in this case I believe that is just what happened..

Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaNinnaB View Post
Who are these people fooling! We know its about race but you have to get those people on here that try to make it seem like there are no racial problems in the world today. Like it all just went away years ago. IT DIDNT! We all know that there are still racial issues out there and based on everything that the OP wrote on here I think that we all know that this is one of those issues. I am basing that in the OP's way of explaining it, the facts and issues that she wrote about, and personal experience with rampant racial problems in my own town. The people that come on here trying to make it into something else are more than likely the ones that have issues over race themselves, be it because they are blind to racisim or due to the fact that they themselves(no matter if they admit it or not) are racist for one reason or another!
Very true. A lot of people deny it, escpecially in the north were they are sheltered from it. It seems so distant and non exsistant. Everyone recogonizes the occasional bigot as a hick. They sincerly think that it keeps coming up because of a few angry blacks looking to get more from society than they should. If they spent some real time in the south, espeically in the schools, they would quickly acknowledge it. Look at all the press that segregated proms had this year, escpecially in Georgia.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM

124 posts, read 270,756 times
Like I would give you information that you give you insight to who I am, where I am, who my child is, or what school she goes too! Please! (houston3)

I don't really care if houston3 believes me or not. Your thoughts are of no concern to me.

To everyone with encouraging words, Thank you.

Non believers, or people who think judging and mistreating someone because of race, sex, age, or disability is O.K., or those that just like to make noise to get rep points, well we'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited by tnuro; 10-14-2009 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education