Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM

124 posts, read 270,785 times

Advertisements

I just have to vent for a few mintues. My daughter just started a new school because of a change in zoning. Her old school had a great mixture of all nationalities. Now she's one of two black children in her class. I know everyone will ask what difference does that make. The only people that ask that question has never experienced what we have. A lot of the white parents at the school having been very vocal about how they feel about the new students. OMG the black people are coming, the black people are coming! All 15 of us in a school with over 1100 students. They only gained about 50 new students. Only about 1/3 of those were black. They lost around the same amount. Most of those were in my subdivision. Very well educated, successful families. My daughter has never made a B on a report card in her life. Her teacher acts like she ready for special education. All of a sudden my daughter has missing work. Work that I know she has done and my daughter says she turns in, but somehow the teacher does not get it! She told me this would bring her grade down to a C. I told her I would like to meet with her and the principal that day. Guess what? She found the work! I get a lot of boring emails from her teacher. But as soon as something is going on in the classroom, my name is "accidently" left off the email list! I've always loved to volunteer at school. I got emails about needing help from the PTA. I offered my time. They gave me a time to show up. Once I got there, big difference. My email will get left off their list too! While I was there, some of the teachers were so nuts! Some of the things they said to the black students are just crazy. Also, they are so condescending in the front office. They talk to me like I ride the little short bus. Well, once they stop acting like I spit in their coffee, they talk to me.

Well, I feel a little better. Thanks CD for letting me vent. Hopefully, I won't smack her during our meeting tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
That is terrible! Half of me says, document all this because that may be the only way to show the school how absurd they are being. But the other half of me says, how will that affect your daughter? I will hope that eventually these people will relax, and that other teachers your daughter has in the future are not so scattered.
Best of luck to you.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM

141 posts, read 330,037 times
How old is your daughter? And what state do you live in? I might can offer some advice with this information.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
I just have to vent for a few mintues. My daughter just started a new school because of a change in zoning. Her old school had a great mixture of all nationalities. Now she's one of two black children in her class. I know everyone will ask what difference does that make. The only people that ask that question has never experienced what we have. A lot of the white parents at the school having been very vocal about how they feel about the new students. OMG the black people are coming, the black people are coming! All 15 of us in a school with over 1100 students. They only gained about 50 new students. Only about 1/3 of those were black. They lost around the same amount. Most of those were in my subdivision. Very well educated, successful families. My daughter has never made a B on a report card in her life. Her teacher acts like she ready for special education. All of a sudden my daughter has missing work. Work that I know she has done and my daughter says she turns in, but somehow the teacher does not get it! She told me this would bring her grade down to a C. I told her I would like to meet with her and the principal that day. Guess what? She found the work! I get a lot of boring emails from her teacher. But as soon as something is going on in the classroom, my name is "accidently" left off the email list! I've always loved to volunteer at school. I got emails about needing help from the PTA. I offered my time. They gave me a time to show up. Once I got there, big difference. My email will get left off their list too! While I was there, some of the teachers were so nuts! Some of the things they said to the black students are just crazy. Also, they are so condescending in the front office. They talk to me like I ride the little short bus. Well, once they stop acting like I spit in their coffee, they talk to me.

Well, I feel a little better. Thanks CD for letting me vent. Hopefully, I won't smack her during our meeting tomorrow!
I am sorry you are going through this.

One of the things I like about the school where I am teaching is that it is about 25% black, 25% Hispanic and 50% white (and a handful of Asians). I really enjoy the diversity. I think it is difficult to be the "only" anything in a classroom.

I hope you get it straightened out.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,943 times
Oh my gosh - how awful! It never ceases to amaze me how rude people can be. My kids elementary and middle schools are both pretty small, but also very welcoming (except for one PTA mom, but we won't go there). Two schools in our area have been affected by re-zoning. The people at those schools were given the choice to stay in their school or move to the new one. Do you know if you might have an option like that?

Otherwise, if you have to stay, try to make the best of it. Hopefully things will calm down. It may be a matter of everyone being in such a huff because of all the changes, that they are not realizing just how they are coming across.

I hope everything gets better - one way or another!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post

Sorry you're upset with your child's school, but as a special educator I find this offencive. You're doing the same thing to SPED students you claim the school is doing to your family. These types of comments are VERY DEGRADING!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:51 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,253 times
My sister had problems last year because her son was one of the only white boys in a school with mostly Native Americans. It was sad. I will give you the same advice I gave her.

Get a notebook, one with the papers all attached so no one can say you made it all up later, and keep a daily journal. On top of that, have your daughter keep a journal. Date each and every page. Write in it EVERY day, even on uneventful days, even if just to state that. Every email correspondence needs to be printed and placed by date into your journal. I would begin looking for a highly respected black lawyer in your area that you feel you can count on. Maybe even give them a call and let them know whats up and ask if they would mind if you kept their number handy so they at least are aware of what is going on.

If things get really bad, talk to the superintendent, but if he seems unconcerned, let him know you plan on writting about this issue in the local paper and be prepared to do so. We were able to get rid of a bad teacher in our school when I was a teen buy doing this.

Photocopy all your daughters school work so when the teacher trys to tell you this say, "Oh, yeah. I have to admit I felt a little insecure about that last time so I started photocopying her work and can bring it right down to you right now if that is the case again." Don't be afraid to point out that you have your daughter's previous school record to prove her ability.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM

124 posts, read 270,785 times
My daughter is nine.

I live in Georgia. I am very concerned about what it might do to her. I don't want it to make her angry and bitter. We've always had a good mixture of friends, but these are things that could make her feel very different about white people. I really hope that everything settles down. After a few parents went to the superintendents office, the principal put out a letter addressing the "untruths" that are being spread around the school. He let parents know that there hasn't been any incidents in the school. He basically tried to calm things. I'm hopeful.

I am keeping track of all incidents. I also make copies of all her work and homework now. Well, I scan it all on to my computer. It's just really sad to have to go through all of this at an elementary school! One good thing is the middle school is totally different. My son has no problems. However, the middle school was not affected by the rezoning.

I'm going to hold out until the end of the first semester. After that, if things haven't calmed down, all gloves are off!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,253 times
Georgia. I kind of figured. If you keep with this school, will her prom be segregated?

The fact that the principle sent out the letter and irrationalized your concerns shows exactly how much he respects you and your daughter. Save copies of them.

Can you contact the other school your daughter came from and explain what is giong on? Maybe they could make an exception for her.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
How is it going socially for your daughter? Does she have friends? Are the kids giving the same attitude as the teacher?

I agree that you should document everything.

If things are going ok with the kids it may make it easier to get through the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education