Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

(CNSNews.com) – The first graders lining up for lunch at Arlington Elementary School in Baltimore, Md., on Monday could pick a cheese sandwich or cheese lasagna and a bowl of mixed vegetables or broccoli. They could not, however, have meat for lunch now that cafeterias throughout the school district have adopted "Meatless Mondays."

CNSNews.com - Baltimore Schools Embrace Anti-Meat Movement with ‘Meatless Mondays’ (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/55355 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I think this is great news. It might get some kids to branch out a bit, and it's nice for the vegetarian kids to have more than one option to choose from.

The people whining about vegetarian options limiting choices for other kids are totally out of line; their kids will get just as many choices on the vegetarian days, they'll just be choosing between different types of food that don't include meat. Kids don't need meat at every meal, and I'm guessing that the parents who make a big fuss about this are probably not serving up vegetarian meals for dinner, so the odds that their kids is going an entire day without meat are slim. Or they can always bring lunch from home.

I think most parents would be happy to think that their children might be eating more fruits and vegetables than they might on another day of the week.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think this is great news. It might get some kids to branch out a bit, and it's nice for the vegetarian kids to have more than one option to choose from.

The people whining about vegetarian options limiting choices for other kids are totally out of line; their kids will get just as many choices on the vegetarian days, they'll just be choosing between different types of food that don't include meat. Kids don't need meat at every meal, and I'm guessing that the parents who make a big fuss about this are probably not serving up vegetarian meals for dinner, so the odds that their kids is going an entire day without meat are slim. Or they can always bring lunch from home.

I think most parents would be happy to think that their children might be eating more fruits and vegetables than they might on another day of the week.
The article cites what the "Meatless Mondays" thing is about. Sounds like a load of crap. Reducing meat consumption so we can be a "healthier" planet? Give me a break.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
The article cites what the "Meatless Mondays" thing is about. Sounds like a load of crap. Reducing meat consumption so we can be a "healthier" planet? Give me a break.
How can you say such a thing when it is so politically correct to do so?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
As a child in Catholic school, "meatless Fridays" were the norm. Tomato soup and grilled cheese, every single week.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
I think it's a great idea too. However, it's too bad that their only choices were two cheese options. There are plenty of healthy vegetarian options without the cheese. I think they should look at an option without dairy as well, not only to consider vegan choices, but to take into account those kids with lactose/dairy allergies. Regardless, it's a step towards getting kids to pick healthier choices in their daily diet.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I think it's a great idea too. However, it's too bad that their only choices were two cheese options. There are plenty of healthy vegetarian options without the cheese. I think they should look at an option without dairy as well, not only to consider vegan choices, but to take into account those kids with lactose/dairy allergies. Regardless, it's a step towards getting kids to pick healthier choices in their daily diet.

On these meatless mondays, the kids are getting a choice, they are being forced. I am all for giving kids a choice for healthy diets, but being told this is what you have to eat, isnt a choice.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,444 times
Why can't they have healthy options for everyone everyday? Why don't we have more veggie options where kids can choose those options? Why is it that vegetarians get a special day, while such a minority compared to say....Chinese, Mexican, or African American kids who don't have dishes that represent their lifestyles? Why are we making this such a focus while they avoid the fact that they still have vending machines full of crappy food choices, pop machines & daily fast food choices? It is a joke that the schools advertise their meals as being healthy. McDonalds does the same thing. It is a joke, a lie that I can not believe people buy into? How often can you go to school and get a wide variety of foods? Not very often. I don't think I even ever had squash for example, one of my favorite vegetables, as an option, and everything was very bland, a lacking of spices. Not to mention "vegetarian" pizza option is plain old cheese pizza. Where are the green peppers, chunks of tomato, oinion, spinach, ect on top? What about offering a wider range of ethnic dishes so children can become more appreciative of various cultures? How about veggie pasta replacing the plain old flour and water variety? Kids, especially little ones, like seeing all those colors. And fruit! Where is a wider variety of fruit? Does grain only come in bread?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-17-2009 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I agree that two cheese-based options seem a little much. I'd go with at least one vegan.

The kids aren't being forced to do anything; they're getting a choice of what to eat. How are they being told what to eat? They have multiple options to choose from.

My biggest problem is probably that it has to be called "Meatless Mondays," as making such a big fuss about one day with only vegetarian options highlights it as being "different." Why only one day with multiple vegetarian options? It's not like meat is a must.

One point about people of ethnic groups not getting a "special" day: many people of all ethnic groups are vegetarian. Vegetarian (and non-vegetarian) meals can reflect the traditions and tastes of many different cultures. But I agree that school meals should be diverse and encompass a wide variety of different healthy options. Many school districts have been moving toward that in recent years (including lots of vegetables, and in some cases stuff the kids grow themselves); I think that's a very positive trend.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

437 posts, read 1,072,275 times
I imagine "Meatless Mondays" are more about saving money that encouraging kids to opt out of meat choices or be vegan.

"Meatless Mondays" originated during World War I and were brought back during WWII to save food or so the theory was.

For Catholics, not eating meat on Fridays (formerly every Friday, today just Fridays during Lent) is entirely different; it's a religious observance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education