Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,989 times

Advertisements

Hi....I'm 16 and I'd like to come to USA as an exchange student with my two BFFs but none of the programs i could find would allow us to go to the same school or even the city. We love love love california and florida's second on our list if you have any other suggestions feel free to share.We don't want to go to a town in the middle of nowhere we want a city that's energetic,alive and the most important thing we want it to be hot or at least warm.

I'd like you to suggest places you think we should consider and please tell if you have any idea how the tree of us could go to the same school. Thanks in advance guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
The point of the exchange student experience is to learn how the typical American teenager lives. The best way to do that is to live in a typical place, and become friends with American teenagers. If you are in a hopping city, and plan to hang out with your BFFs from your native country, I'm afraid you won't get the full benefit. That is why agencies discourage this type of situation.

If you want a vacation with your friends, go on vacation with your friends. If you want the exchange experience, then you need to have the correct mindset. We have hosted exchange students, and they have been wonderful experiences. I also know people who have had bad experiences, because the teens had irrational expectations. Please don't torture your host family by insisting on things going a certain way... from what you are writing, my guess is that a vacation to Miami or Los Angeles may be a better option for you than a year spent away from home, in a sleepy Midwestern town, with no one around who speaks your native tongue.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelalaland View Post
Hi....I'm 16 and I'd like to come to USA as an exchange student with my two BFFs but none of the programs i could find would allow us to go to the same school or even the city. We love love love california and florida's second on our list if you have any other suggestions feel free to share.We don't want to go to a town in the middle of nowhere we want a city that's energetic,alive and the most important thing we want it to be hot or at least warm.

I'd like you to suggest places you think we should consider and please tell if you have any idea how the tree of us could go to the same school. Thanks in advance guys...
Um, how about you all apply for the same program separately and just hope all three of you are able to live in the same city?

As the other poster said, being an exchange student is about experiencing life in another country, not just night life. If you just want to party, just come on vacation, please. What if your host family just so happens to be very strict/religious? You probably wouldn't have a fun time while being in their home. For just studying and living, you could exchange as high schoolers. If you want to party and do clubbing, I would suggest you all to come over as college students then. You three could then have all the fun you want without the hassle of a host family.

That being said, look up safety and price in the city as well. The most 'poppin' cities can be very expensive, and you probably won't have fun in a city where you can hardly afford to buy basic things.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I agree with whimsy--the point of an exchange program is to immerse yourself in another culture. You can't do that if you are traveling in a pack with people from home--even if an organizer could work out the logistics, which would be extremely complicated.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'd sink your money and time into planning a vacation abroad with friends versus a year of study, since it sounds like the former is more what you're looking for.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Something else to consider is that at 16-17 in the US, you and your friends would not be able to go out to clubs. Here, teen night life is expected to revolve around school events--ball games, dances, school plays, etc. Even in the warm cities you seek, kids your age are often snugly hemmed in by adults. You might also have your freedom limited by teen curfews and such.

What I would do is try to find private exchange groups. We have one here in our sleepy city, so they may be available in cities you find more attractive. Contact an organization for teachers of your language who may be able to help you find a sponsor who can keep you together. Good luck, but I also vote for a vacation rather than an exchange.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,317 times
YES, I agree, a year of exchange is a year of having the opportunity to meet different people and culture. I have 2 sons and they went to U.S.A ( we are from Mexico) for a year, they learned a lot and became better persons . Now I'm looking for an organization or agency that can find a host family for my daughter who is 16 in march and will be going to 11th grade, in KATY TX , thatĀ“s where she wants to go. If you know of any please let me know I'd appreciate it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education