Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,051 times

Advertisements

I am a sophmore student in Virginia looking to study abroad this fall. I have choices between London and Sydney and was just trying to find some third party advice. I am very active, so definitely want a place with a lot to do. Im in a fraternity so nightlife would be a plus. And overall a pretty place that would be enjoyable for 6 months. Please give me any information or suggestions. Thanks!!

Tommy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Personally I would choose London.

When asked to describe a country that they are most like, most Australians will say the United States. There are certainly some differences, but there are a lot of similarities.

London will also give you more opportunity to absorb the culture. Sydney has some public transit but it isn't that efficient and most residents find they need a car to meet at least some of their needs. Getting out of Sydney to visit other places like Melbourne or Perth will be expensive and time-consuming. It is a huge continent and like the United States, their inefficient train system is slow and tedious for the traveller. Most travelers rely on planes, just like American's do. London by contrast has an efficient public transit system that will allow you to explore every corner of the city, and beyond, with relative convenience and little cost.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
I studied in London and loved England so much, I went back and did my MA in Manchester and lived there for a year afterward.

However, it's a very easy place to get to. I'd choose Sydney because it's not a place you'd usually go. I also had a really hard time meeting Brits in London because it feels like only foreigners live there sometimes (I never had that problem when I lived in the North and loved it). I have several friends who have studied, lived in Australia and had a much easier time meeting locals.

You can't go wrong- either place will be great. If you don't like the cold though, I'd do Sydney and visit London in the spring/summer when it's warm. London in the fall can get cold.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I would go to London. It's full of life, full of culture, and there you will meet people from so many different countries and cultures, it should be very enriching.
Plus, from there, you'll have the possibility to travel to various places in Europe, even if your vacation budget is limited (it should be quite easy to spend a week-end in Paris, a week-end in Brussels, a week-end in Amsterdam... plus visits to several great places in the UK!)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
When my son was looking for a study abroad he looked at both Australia and England but the timing for the Australia abroad was very awkward because of the reverse seasons. I think the second semester ended in late June or maybe even early July. He ended up going to England and had a great time.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
A friend of ours went to Australia and loved it. Lot's of outdoor activities and things to do. She can't wait to go back. There is really no bad choice here, have fun!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboon008 View Post
I am a sophmore student in Virginia looking to study abroad this fall. I have choices between London and Sydney and was just trying to find some third party advice. I am very active, so definitely want a place with a lot to do. Im in a fraternity so nightlife would be a plus. And overall a pretty place that would be enjoyable for 6 months. Please give me any information or suggestions. Thanks!!
Tommy
Both places would be enjoyable. Both places are highly culturally diverse, and both places will offer the typical nightlife that a frat boy is probably looking for.

London. Awesome place. One thing to keep in mind, London is huge. I mean HUGE. There is no city in the US that can compare to London in sheer size. It is larger than NYC.

London is also not cheap compared to the US. In fact, it can be quite expensive. Australia is more closely on par to the US dollar.

Stina is correct; London is relative close to US by plane and you can find cheap flights to London in the $400 range if you shop around. Sydney is more of a hike to get to, and flights are much more expensive. Given that, I would suggest Sydney.

However, it depends on what you want to do while there. If you want to travel to other places, London will be the place to go, but to be honest, even with 6 months, you will not have enough time to see everything and you will barely have enough time to explore a fraction of either city.

Also, it would be a waste to go to either city if all you want to do is party in your spare time, but even more so with London since that place has such a deep history.

I don't know what you mean by active, as it could apply to many things, but really you shouldn't be bored in either place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Plus, from there, you'll have the possibility to travel to various places in Europe, even if your vacation budget is limited (it should be quite easy to spend a week-end in Paris, a week-end in Brussels, a week-end in Amsterdam... plus visits to several great places in the UK!)
Do you realize how expensive it is to travel the 19 miles across the channel? Last time I was in Europe, it costs roughly $100 to cross the Channel. And that was one way.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,051 times
Thank you for the answers. When i say active I mean im not the type to sit around. I like being out doors, site seeing, and doing a little bit of everything. I cant really deal with the rainy cold...Is london more snowy or rainy during the fall? The cold doesn't bother me as long as there isn't a lot of rain to go with it. But im more of a beach kind of person, sunny and nice out. Australia is a hike...but putting money aside i want to make sure im going to have the best experience I can. I haven't really decided if all of the history of London is something that would really be interesting to me or not.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
London is rainy rainy rainy! This comes from 2 and a half years of living in England.

If you like the outdoorsy lifestyle, go to Sydney. Just make sure you visit London at some point (maybe during the summer) because it's a fantastic city.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboon008 View Post
Thank you for the answers. When i say active I mean im not the type to sit around. I like being out doors, site seeing, and doing a little bit of everything. I cant really deal with the rainy cold...Is london more snowy or rainy during the fall? The cold doesn't bother me as long as there isn't a lot of rain to go with it. But im more of a beach kind of person, sunny and nice out. Australia is a hike...but putting money aside i want to make sure im going to have the best experience I can. I haven't really decided if all of the history of London is something that would really be interesting to me or not.
London's weather is similar to Seattle's, overcast with a lot of rain/drizzle. It can snow in London, but I think that they only average a few inches a year. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sydney itself is not that cold, maybe averaging in the upper 50s during their winter, but there is snow close enough if you want to go skiing or something.

The exchange rate is usually around $1=just under 2 British Pounds where $1=about 1.1 Australian dollars, so your money will go roughly twice as far in Sydney over London. But, with the difference in airfare you might end up spending just as much money in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education