Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"some people are naturally more energetic at night "--

Maybe the unschooling mother should wonder why her daughter uses her --more energetic -- time period to spend corresdponding with friends instead of getting educated.
Corresponding with friends is a way of learning. Have you never been introduced to an idea or book, or something that excited you, by a friend?

The driving idea behind unschooling is that kids learn, naturally, all of the time, without formal classes or curriculum. You can't keep a child from learning! And if they're in a supportive environment, they will absolutely learn everything they need to learn. It's true - I've seen it with my own eyes, in my own kids, and in hundreds of other unschoolers we know.

Quote:
Unschooling sounds like a parent doesn't want their kid attending public school and is too lazy to homeschool them.
I understand it can sound like that, but nothing could be farther from the truth! Unschooling parents are, by necessity, closer and more connected to their kids. We are their partners and guides. It takes time, energy, and a heck of a lot of personal growth and looking at beliefs. Lazy? Not in the least.

Quote:
Those type of parents should be charged with child neglect and their kids taken away.
If you'd like to read more about unschooling, I'd be happy to provide links. I'm not here to defend it; if someone truly wants to learn about it, I can show you where to research it. Your idea that loving parents, who provide all types of opportunities for their kids and support who they are, rather than forcing them to fit some kind of mold, are neglectful? Is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM

191 posts, read 457,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
How is deciding what you want to learn a bad thing?

Don't ALL college students do that? In HS, we had to start picking classes to determine which college classes we would want to pursue for an eventual major/career choice.

We do a bit of unschooling. She chooses which subjects that interest her the most, and we go from there. Yes, she still gets her cores, so no worries there.

If your child wants to be a Dr., how is it a bad thing to prep them as early as possible with bio classes? (for example)
Yes college students do that. They are also 18 or older. Again, I am not sure what is hacking you off so much. I was talking about a specific group that allow their children to dictate what they do with their time every day. The key to what you just said is that you let your child pick subjects that interest her and then "we" go from there. As in, your child is not left to pursue her own education, but is rather guided somewhat by older, wiser, more educated parents.

And I am not really understanding the part about bio classes....when did I say it was bad to study biology?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Depending on the school, yes time is wasted, although your son or daughter may be exposed to things that they might not have been exposed to otherwise.
And on that same note, think of all of the things that you may have missed out on because you were stuck at school.
Quote:
And I also think a lot can be learned socially from being labeled a 'nerd' or whatever. I learned, I think like most of us, that I saw beyond the 'cliques' of high school and had smart friends and interests but I learned how to manage with these groups socially. I made friends with the 'cholos' and learned to make them laugh so that I wouldn't get beaten up. I punched a bully in the face in 2nd grade and he never bothered me again. I also got sucker punched in a back alley by a group of 'cholos' that I still remember to this day. I remember my first crush in 3rd grade. I remember how sad I was when my favorite elementary teacher left and most of all I remember my friends. All of these events taught me something I probably wouldn't have experienced if I were to stay at home.
Contrary to popular belief, homeschooling/unschooling does not mean staying at home all of the time. Unschooled or home schooled kids have opportunities to socialize and learn lessons from their relationships with others just as kids in school have opportunities to socialize. The difference is where and with whom they spend that time. School kids spend 6+ hours a day in classrooms made up of 20-30 other kids, all in the same age group and one (maybe 2) adults. Home schooled children may spend their time outdoors, at parks, at the library, museums, the zoo, etc. and spend that time with people of various ages. There are tons of home school and unschooling groups available so children really do have the opportunity to socialize and spend time with other children during the day in addition to many adults. They have the same opportunities to fall in love but are a lot less likely to experience the kind of bullying and cliquiness that happens in school. IMO that is a good thing.
Quote:
Also I think I just want my kids to be 'normal.' I'm not suggesting US children aren't or can't be, but I think the alternative lifestyle isn't worth the effort to maintain, especially when I can (in addition to regular schooling) help shape and encourage my son or daughter's interests outside of regular schooling.
Before I had my daughter I had a lot of preconceived notions about homeschooling. It's something that I never imagined that I would do with my child. When I first heard about unschooling I couldn't even really wrap my brain around the concept. After considering our options, doing some reading and seeing how homeschooling and unschooling work in real life, I am leaning very strongly in that direction. So far I'm on board with homeschooling and still reading up on and pondering unschooling. One of the biggest (of many) reasons why I want to do this is because I can see not only how it would enrich our daughter's life but our family life as well. It's exciting to think about the possibilities. I imagine that as curious, introspective and intelligent as you seem, you may find yourself considering the alternatives when and if you have children one day.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

293 posts, read 563,555 times
on the same point, I am experimenting with the adult version of this philosophy called "unworking." Generally dick around. Do it all on my own terms. Get paid. All that really matters is that i get to choose what I work on and how I grow professionally, right?

A lot of prissy little fascist types worry that this is sending the wrong message. But they are ig'nrint. I actually am the center of the universe, so it's going pretty well for Numero Uno.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
-----' you can't keep a child from learning"--

Would that same line of reasoning work for their diets as well as their education?

Allow them from young on to only eat what they like , when they want, and how much they want ?

If it does not work for their diet, why would ecucation be different? ( I am referring to CharlotteGal who sees nothing wrong with kids staying up all night long corresponding with friends via facebook )

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,609 times
I get it in theory (you learn fastest/easiest when you're interested), but it's going to be a pretty darn harsh transition to the real world, where your boss doesn't care if you want to do something or not, only that it's on his desk in 2 hours.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I get it in theory (you learn fastest/easiest when you're interested), but it's going to be a pretty darn harsh transition to the real world, where your boss doesn't care if you want to do something or not, only that it's on his desk in 2 hours.
Bingo !

(and staying up all night visiting friends will soon get you fired from your day job )

Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That's not my real world! I'm a working, productive adult, and I've chosen to NOT work where a boss would demand something on her desk in 2 hours. Lots and lots of people do not work in jobs like that.

IF my unschooling son *chose* to work in a job like that, he would understand the requirements of the job. There's not a "real world" and an "unschooling" world! They LIVE *in* the real world, every day of their lives. No transition necessary, they're already there. They know that rules and deadlines exist. And they know they'd have full choice of whether to enter a place where those were necessary.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
-----' you can't keep a child from learning"--

Would that same line of reasoning work for their diets as well as their education?

Allow them from young on to only eat what they like , when they want, and how much they want ?
It does work for diet.

My boys' Halloween candy is still here, mostly uneaten. They both asked for toys rather than candy (except the chocolate bunny!) for Easter. And they can have as much candy and snack food as they want, any time they want. The thing is, they don't see candy and snacks as separate - it's all just food. They make their choices based on how they feel and what they want.

When you demonize certain foods and limit it, it creates a stronger desire for it. When you allow your kids freedom to be in touch with their own body cues, and freedom of exploration, and support what they want, that false desire isn't there. It's been really cool to see that play out in our home.

Most children who've been limited will binge once given freedom.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
That's not my real world! I'm a working, productive adult, and I've chosen to NOT work where a boss would demand something on her desk in 2 hours. Lots and lots of people do not work in jobs like that.

IF my unschooling son *chose* to work in a job like that, he would understand the requirements of the job. There's not a "real world" and an "unschooling" world! They LIVE *in* the real world, every day of their lives. No transition necessary, they're already there. They know that rules and deadlines exist. And they know they'd have full choice of whether to enter a place where those were necessary.
Wait, I thought you were unschooling your kids? Do you have time for that and a full time job? That's pretty impressive.

Unless you work for yourself, there are going to be deadlines and crunch times and overtime and rules--which means most professions someone would choose. I actually can't think of a single job short of working for yourself that doesn't have deadlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education