Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 AM

153 posts, read 380,735 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I had to repeatedly take a cellphone from one of my 2nd graders. Yes, his phone would ring in class shortly after 8 am. The caller you ask?? His mother. Was it a distraction for him to even have??? YES. It had a "cute" ringtone AND Spongebob as his wallpaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
It is a good idea...cuts down on all the cheating that can happen.

You can type notes into everything from a cell phone to a graphing calculator anymore.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 AM

604 posts, read 750,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Totally fair.

How in the world do you expect to learn anything while you text and listen to your iPod? It is even more fair if you take a photo and mail it to a friend on a test.

Grow up and realize the world does not operate on cellphones and electronics every minute of the day.

[I taught almost 30 years and my husband over 34. Our kids were raised pre-cellphones, but they would not have had them in school. My husband and I always had cellphones from the mid 1990s, but always off from the time we signed in until when we left the building.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If you think high school is a waste, then don't go. Get into your high school's dual enrollment program and start working on college credits.
Actually trying to become an autodidact, or convince my parents at least...

will be but at my age they won't let me.

And you really think we learn alot at school? sure the motivated ones, but If you had a dollar for every student who said they willingly came to school, or came to learn something new, you'd be dirt poor...

And PLEASE, cheating?? there's no way to stop it, makes me mad when I work on the homework and waste my time, while others do small sections and then give eachother the answers, teachers CANNOT catch cheating, on a vocab test I've got in 2.5 hours half the class takes out their wallets that has a small sheet of paper in it, and hide it in their hands... makes me sick, but they throw the homework on us, so can't really blame them

Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Actually trying to become an autodidact, or convince my parents at least...

will be but at my age they won't let me.

And you really think we learn alot at school? sure the motivated ones, but If you had a dollar for every student who said they willingly came to school, or came to learn something new, you'd be dirt poor...

And PLEASE, cheating?? there's no way to stop it, makes me mad when I work on the homework and waste my time, while others do small sections and then give eachother the answers, teachers CANNOT catch cheating, on a vocab test I've got in 2.5 hours half the class takes out their wallets that has a small sheet of paper in it, and hide it in their hands... makes me sick, but they throw the homework on us, so can't really blame them
People who don't cheat and actually learn the material eventually become the bosses of people who cheat and graduate knowing nothing.

Also, not feeling like a scumbag when you leave class is a good incentive for being honest.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM

442 posts, read 965,201 times
I think it is totally fair as a matter of fact I am a TA for a coleege professor and she takes them away and doesn't give them back right away, and she is the sweetest person.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Completely fair. Teachers are held accountable for students' performance and behavior. Therefore, if a student is not paying attention due to an electronic device, the teacher is responsible, which means that the teacher should and can do any and every thing to make sure that the students are not distracted, are paying attention and are learning the material.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
If the kids have them out, then of course it's fair. You should not be using those in class. If they are tucked away in a purse or backpack with the sound off, though, then how would the teacher even know you had it? Obviously searches are not acceptable.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:18 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
More than fair, but expected.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,877,385 times
Get used to it, it the way the world works. At the company I worked fo, if your cell phone went off during a meeting, your butt was in big trouble. They didn't take phones, but you damn well better not be using one.
No one wants to be distrubed by your cell..!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,747 times
Phones: In our district, its illegal to be seen with one. We know that igh school or even middle school kids need them for various purposes after school, but they are required to leave them in their locker or book bag. We don't search for them, but being caught with one will have it confiscated. Cell phones detract from the business of education. I remember when we had to confiscate one from a first grader. He was taking calls during class. Can you imagine a first grader taking calls during a spelling lesson?

In regards to High School might be a waste of time, but try getting a job without a high school diploma. And try getting a job with any kind of future without a high school diploma and some additional training either technical school or a college degree. Sometimes the worth of the thing is what you get at the end.

How many of the people, do you think, who take Microsoft's 16 month training certificate don't actually already know at least 80-90% of the stuff taught? Not many. The ones that I've spoken to think its pretty much dull and boring, but try getting a job with PC's in many capacities without the certificate. You can't.

I have friends who tell me that after their Master's degree, most of the rest of the course work and the dissertation was pretty boring for their EdD. But again, its what it gets them at the end. For many of us, we understand the importance of continuing in dull things to get something more exciting further down the road. Its only youth who are so very impatient who don't understand this.

Z

Last edited by Zarathu; 04-28-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education