Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

"Your answers will determine my decision"

I feel so powerful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I have a Pell Grant form in my notebook. At the age of 42 should I even bother? I would pursue journalism-media related fields. In this economy and at my age should I just let it go, or finally do it?
As someone who writes for the student newspaper at school, journalism is a particular style of writing that mostly follows a code of ethics and is objective over any real style of formatting (although journalists do follow certain formatting styles). You do not need to get a college degree to become a journalist, but it helps. Without a degree, you would still need experience to land a decent job (blogging and submitting guest articles to newspapers/magazines is the easiest and best way to build experience. Those free weekly papers that you see in every city are a good place to contribute to, also).

It would be to your advantage to get a copy of the AP Stylebook, as that is pretty much the standard across the board.

With that, as long as you do not already have a four-year degree and can demonstrate need, you can still receive the Pell Grant at any age.

If you are insistent on obtaining a degree, I would suggest attending a community college. Most either offer a journalism program or what is now known as a New Media program (which is often a hybrid of journalism with a concentration of a particular 'new' media outlet such as Internet/web-focused, video, podcasting, etc.) or both.

As for the job market; traditional newspapers are folding and the market in that sense is dwindling fast, however, many newspapers and other media outlets are focusing online, so there is still a demand for quality journalism

Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
(2) what jobs are available for someone with zero industry experience coming out of school with that degree?
You do not need industry experience to begin this field. Many journalist got their start simply by submitting one article that the newspaper liked and bought. But yes, you will start at the bottom.

Quote:
(3) how much is the pay for the job that you might be able to land?
Those who work in this field love what they do and are steadfast in their beliefs of truth and information. It is not so much about the money as it is about the 'cause'. With that, unless you are a senior writer at an established news agency, you're probably not going to make much money. However, many journalists are writers first and foremost, and they generally write (freelance) for as many venues as possible, making a decent living as a result.

Quote:
I would be very careful pursing a dream of mine if I had to go into major debt to do so and if the pay for that job was going to be low (you have to start at the bottom).
The funny thing is that in the end you still die. You can either pursue the dream, live the dream, or play it safe. Accrued debt or not, the joke is that in the end you wind up in the same position.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
I did it at 35...

It really will be a great experience watching all those 20 something folks running around on campus like they have life all figured out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education