Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times

Advertisements

http://chicagopc.info/Chicago%20post...ounds%2045.JPG

Granted this is in a park. But what a difference time makes in perceived safety in outdoor equipment for kids!!

Really gives "Monkey Joe's", and all of the bouncy play places a run for the money. Great place for a field trip huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Ahhh!!

That said, we went to a park in Bonn, Germany that had a huge structure for the kids to climb on. Granted, mine were only 6 and 4 at the time, but my heart was in my throat to see them up there! It was nowhere near as bad as the one you posted, though, LOL!

Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Never pass the insurance requirements in the USA. We've been forced by insurance to take down anything that looked like that even in minor measure, which included jungle jyms, sliding boards, and merry-go-rounds.

Yes I was in German during World Cup4 years ago, and they had many wonderful playgrounds apparently unaffected by insurance regs.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I'm scared of heights, so I am glad they don't have those any more! I get nervous watching my daughter on one of the modern jungle gyms.
Yeah, I was always the kid on the playground who stuck with see-saws and sand boxes.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Never pass the insurance requirements in the USA. We've been forced by insurance to take down anything that looked like that even in minor measure, which included jungle jyms, sliding boards, and merry-go-rounds.

Yes I was in German during World Cup4 years ago, and they had many wonderful playgrounds apparently unaffected by insurance regs.
Really? No sliding boards? That pic was in Chicago circa 1910-1920. Feelings have definitely changed. It doesn't even look like soft material beneath the kids in the picture. It's so funny to me how time reveals societal and attitude changes involving children.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Really? No sliding boards? That pic was in Chicago circa 1910-1920. Feelings have definitely changed. It doesn't even look like soft material beneath the kids in the picture. It's so funny to me how time reveals societal and attitude changes involving children.
Or just a measure of how careless and stupid we used to be, seriously. Thanks to insurance companies and parental lawsuits, schools and playgrounds are now required to take children's safety seriously. When I was growing up a reaaaaaly long time ago, playground equipment wasn't quite that cavalierly unsafe, but just about.

One kid got hit in the back of the head with a swing -- a board covered by rubber. Permanent brain damage. Kids were repeatedly knocked off play equipment and broke things -- arms, legs, etc.

Want to long for the good ol' days? Be my guest -- it's a free country. For me? Not in that respect.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:19 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Too bad those days don't come back. Kids really played and played hard. There were half the staff at schools and kids learned how to resolve their own problems.

I don't recall any serious injuries when I was in elementary school on any playground equipment. We had a blast climbing on things.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I don't recall any serious injuries when I was in elementary school on any playground equipment. We had a blast climbing on things.
Me either. Don't recall serious problems. Kids DO need to have recess and play hard for many reasons.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,085 times
I am too young for things like that, but I do remember this huge slide we had in elementary school. I had numerous friends who broke bones after they fell off of that thing. They were very lucky nobody ever died on it before it was removed.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
http://chicagopc.info/Chicago%20post...ounds%2045.JPG

Granted this is in a park. But what a difference time makes in perceived safety in outdoor equipment for kids!!

Really gives "Monkey Joe's", and all of the bouncy play places a run for the money. Great place for a field trip huh?
That picture looks at least 50 years old....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education