Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,747 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am thinking about relocating to EL Paso, TX and would like to get some advice regarding apartments. Are there any areas that I should avoid when looking for an apartment for rent? I'm looking to rent a one bedroom apartment for about $550 month. I am a single female, so I need to make sure that I am residing in a safe area. Please help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri View Post
Hello,
I am thinking about relocating to EL Paso, TX and would like to get some advice regarding apartments. Are there any areas that I should avoid when looking for an apartment for rent? I'm looking to rent a one bedroom apartment for about $550 month. I am a single female, so I need to make sure that I am residing in a safe area. Please help. Thanks
I would check out the area for graffitti and bars on windows and doors -- avoid those. Overall there isn't too much violent crime against strangers in El Paso. Luckily most of the crime is gang related and domestic abuse and property crime.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,721 times
Quote:
Hello,
I personally would avoid: South-Central, Lower Valley, south part of Downtown - Segundo Barrio, most of Central (since a lot of the apartments there are old).

I would go for the East Side or West Side-Upper Valley. Both those sides are close to everything: malls, hospitals, restaurants, nice schools, entertainment areas/movies, newer parks, newer everything. Parts of the Northeast are nice too, and they have nice views of the mountains too.

El Paso is one of the safest cities in the country, so basically anything in the East Side, West Side, or parts of the Northeast will do. Good luck to you.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,727 times
Personally I think the UTEP area might be a good fit for you. Lots of stuff to do and plenty of nightlife. There are a few neighborhoods bordering the university: Kern Place, Sunset Heights, etc. There are several apartment buildings to the north, east, & south of the university. The ones to the east and south are vintage buildings from the early 1900s to 1930s. Some old bungalow homes for rent too. Others to the north are from the 1950s-1960s. It might be worth it to check out. Although you might have to compete with all the other renters in the area. With the university, there are alot of students renting. And yes, I do belive its perfectly safe in this area.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM

66 posts, read 113,200 times
Quote:
Hello,
I think you need to start with where you will be working and what kind of commute you will have/want- if you work in far East El Paso and live on the West side, you'll have a nasty commute and vice versa. As far as being safe, I would agree with what the other posters have said, but there is crime everywhere. The media here had a story within the last couple of weeks about a crime spree in a couple of the nicer apartment complexes on the West side, so some areas are generally safer but crime exists everywhere.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times
Let me preface this by saying I don't live in El Paso yet. My husband will be starting a job there and he'll be there mid-August, and myself and our two kids (3 years old) will be joining them as soon as our house in OH sells. He'll be living in an apartment there and if our house doesn't sell in the next few months, then me and the boys will join him and stay in the apartment until we get a house there.

I was very concerned about where to live since I'll have two small kids with me, and I was advised by an associate (or asst. can't remember which) dean in charge of helping new faculty get settled, to look for places off of N. Mesa Ave (Festival was another street she said was really good).

ETA..I should mention that there are probably other nice areas but we also wanted something that wouldn't be too long of a commute for my husband to his job.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,727 times
Most anywhere in the westside or upper valley is nice. If I didn't live in sunset heights (near downtown) I probably would have looked into buying a home in these areas too.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Hello,
I would recommend Noeuvau Place apartments. when I used to live in EP those where the first apt. I moved into. They are kind of old, but the area is nice and quiet, or at least it used to be when I was there and very reasonably priced (all utilities included). They are on the west side off Resler and Enid ct. kind of behind Coronado High school. Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
jfe

61 posts, read 284,034 times
Quote:
Hello,
El Paso is the second safest city in the country, it all depends where you need to go.

If you are thinking of moving close to UTEP, avoid the Highlander apartments, they are a dumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
I was very concerned about where to live since I'll have two small kids with me, and I was advised by an associate (or asst. can't remember which) dean in charge of helping new faculty get settled, to look for places off of N. Mesa Ave (Festival was another street she said was really good).
The Chimneys and The Pointe on Festival are nice.

Also, there are some apartments close to Sunland Park Mall on Mesa Hills called Ryan's crossing and another Ryan's something right next door, which are nice

The "nicest" apartments are Colinas Del Sol, which make them the most expensive also. Not sure if they are worth it

Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 113,196 times
in all honesty, avoid the lower valley. pretty much anything from downtown east, south of I-10.. like other ppl said, west side is great, upper valley too and far eastside is rapidly growing and there were a few apartment complexes being built that look cute. if i was u however, i think the ryans apt are pretty great for a single girl in a new town. lotsa college aged ppl live there n the area is great. hope u find something that u like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: