Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to any of the El Paso Farmer's Markets? What do they sell there? Are they reasonably priced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 PM

5 posts, read 39,871 times
Default Farmer's Market

I have been to Ardovino's Desert Market located in Sunland Park. I went several times last year and twoce this year and there is almost no produce to speak of. It is mostly crafts if you like that sort of thing. I understand that the produce is likely to come late because of late season rains (in the spring), but I doubt there will be much of a selection even when produce does come into season. A lot of squash, but little of anything else that makes the trip worthwhile for produce. It is still a nice environment, but very disappointing when looking for fruits and vegetables. There is a much nicer farm in Las Cruces where you can pick your own or buy form the stand. But, the drive is a bit long to get eggplant and the sort. I have read that another market is in EL Paso that opens at different locations- you can probably easily find that info in Tiempo or the other weekly paper announcing such news. The last place I have stopped at is the flea market on Doniphan, located north of Artcraft. They have a better selection of certain local items, but I only went once. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Default part 2

I noticed you are moving from Ohio. Being from NY and having lived all around the US, you will be very disappointed with the farmer's markets if you are looking for produce. That is the trade off of living in the desert. A lot of peppers, squash, and some melons. But, get used to Albertson's or the other grocery chains.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Has anyone ever been to any of the El Paso Farmer's Markets? What do they sell there? Are they reasonably priced?
The only one I've heard of is Ardovino's Desert Market in Sunland Park and I've never been there -- but like the other poster said, it seems it's more crafts than fresh food.

The best farmers markets I believe would be the informal ones --- sometimes set up along Doniphan, Transmountain and other highways coming into town. Trucks and trailers loaded with fresh produce sold directly by the farmers. Oranges and avocados from Arizona, melons from Pecos, chilis, onions -- and I've had very good luck with those. Good prices too.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times
Well that's a bummer that the regular, weekly ones aren't so good. I guess I'm just spoiled by my farmer's market here in OH.

I'll have to be on the lookout for the informal ones. Are they set up at regular times, or are they willy-nilly?

Also, what are the main grocery store chains? Any one better than any other?

Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,721 times
I guess there are two of these farmers markets in the El Paso area, I've never been to either of them, but I have heard of them. They are both open only on Saturday mornings.
Here is a little information I found out on them:
Ardovino's Farmers Market, it is open from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays at Ardovino's Desert Crossing in Sunland Park, NM.

and

Harvest Market, in the Lower Valley, is open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays through Sept. 29 at the Tigua Indian Cultural Center, 305 Yaya Lane off Socorro Road.

I agree with malamute's post above, about finding the trucks that sell the fresh produce directly from the farmers..same experience, sometimes they got great fruits and vegetables at great prices.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Albertson's is the best throughout the city- some better than others (Redd Rd is very nice). Sun Harvest has one store on the west side and though pricier, they have a better selection. As always, look for the sales. Big 8 is a typical "super" market; Wal-Mart has a few grocery specific stores on the east side (and all the other Super Wal-Mart's have groceries as does the Target superstore); there is a local franchise- JR's- but I don't know the quality. I live on the west side so I go to either Albertsons (one block from me) or Sun harvest (1-mile). You will miss the sweet, fresh, picked corn and tomatoes.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Well that's a bummer that the regular, weekly ones aren't so good. I guess I'm just spoiled by my farmer's market here in OH.

I'll have to be on the lookout for the informal ones. Are they set up at regular times, or are they willy-nilly?

Also, what are the main grocery store chains? Any one better than any other?
You can find them almost all the time -- I don't know too much about ones on other highways but on Doniphan you'll almost always find the farmers trucks once you get a couple miles north of the crossroads. I almost forgot -- there is a permanent stand on Doniphan near the intersection of Higway 28.

Wait until chili harvest time when they're roasting fresh chilis --- there's no smell quite like it. And if you like corn -- try an elote stand -- also found along Doniphan -- I dont' know where they get them but they sell very nice already steamed and buttered big ears of corn -- or sprinkled with parmesan or chili powder. This isn't the Midwest -- but it's got it's own special flavors that if you get used to you'd miss if you went back. Or -- have the best of both and take summer vacations in the Midwest.

Big 8 or Lowes has the best prices for the best quality of fruit and vegetables -- Big 8 I thought was better but it's been bought out by Lowes so I don't know if it'll change. Albertson's is the most consistent for quality but more expensive.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
And -- you'll have to make weekend trips out of town if you really want to experience the region -- and you can plan to get your fresh picked cherries in High Rolls in June and hit some of the Apple season there or some of the other apple growing towns. It's a nice drive and you see some of the same kinds of road side stands you see in the MidWest. Hillsboro New Mexico has an apple festival. Nothing better than a New Mexico Winesap apple.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,995 times
I agree with malamute: just hit the road north on Doniphan towards Las Cruces (Canutillo, Anthony, La Mesa, Mesquite . . . ) and you won't find a big farmer's market per se, but you will find many people selling fruits and veggies out of their truck on the side of the road. Now until Oct. should be the best time of year to do so. Damn, malamute, you're making me hungry with talk of that elote and roasted green chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso