Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,647 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Wainwright was still open? did anyone go there back in 81-82? someone had told me it closed down. does El Paso still light up that big star on the mountain on Christmas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
Default I believe Wainwright is indeed closed.

It was overcrowded (more than 500 students in prekindergarten to 5th grade, in a building whose capacity was about 425--they had something like a dozen portable classrooms out back). It was worn out; El Paso ISD said it would have cost more to fix than it was worth. So they replaced it with Moye Elementary on Alps Drive at Dyer Street a couple of years ago.

But the Wainwright building hasn't been torn down. I think El Paso ISD has a student health center there right now and the school is sort of on standby because the school district thinks they might need it for all the Army kids that are coming into Fort Bliss as a result of the latest round of base closures and re-alignments. There's going to be this huge number of soldiers coming into Fort Bliss in the next four years (over 10,000, plus their families).

BTW: I'm a former northeast El Paso resident, too, but I went to Dowell Elementary, in the mid-70s.

And I think they do still light the star on the mountain. I think you can pay to have it lit to honor the person or people of your choice any night of the year.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 AM

879 posts, read 3,036,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
does El Paso still light up that big star on the mountain on Christmas?
Yup, the star is still lit up, in fact it is lit up every night these days. Back in the 90's they started lighting up on a regular basis. I think it hasn't been turned on lately because they are going to replace the older bulbs with some more modern ones that can be lit up at all times, such as when it rains and gets windy.

Juarez actually has their own mountain lights now as well, they started lighting up a portrait of Benito Juarez, the president of Mexico.. that the city is now named after.

So both cities now have large images on their mountains lighted up on a nightly basis.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,368 times
Hey, I went to Wainwright during that time...I was in Mrs. Jones's class as well as with Mrs. Webb.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
It was overcrowded (more than 500 students in prekindergarten to 5th grade, in a building whose capacity was about 425--they had something like a dozen portable classrooms out back). It was worn out; El Paso ISD said it would have cost more to fix than it was worth. So they replaced it with Moye Elementary on Alps Drive at Dyer Street a couple of years ago.

But the Wainwright building hasn't been torn down. I think El Paso ISD has a student health center there right now and the school is sort of on standby because the school district thinks they might need it for all the Army kids that are coming into Fort Bliss as a result of the latest round of base closures and re-alignments. There's going to be this huge number of soldiers coming into Fort Bliss in the next four years (over 10,000, plus their families).

BTW: I'm a former northeast El Paso resident, too, but I went to Dowell Elementary, in the mid-70s.

And I think they do still light the star on the mountain. I think you can pay to have it lit to honor the person or people of your choice any night of the year.
I am sorry for the late response, I had forgotten I had made this post. thanks for the info though. and thanks to everyone else that posted. Mrs.Web, that name sounds so familiar, it would nice to find a few of my old classmates.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Mrs.Web, that name sounds so familiar, it would nice to find a few of my old classmates.
Was this Ms. Webb a middle-aged Anglo woman with sort of sandy-colored curly hair or an African-American woman in her 30s? I might have had her at Dowell.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Was this Ms. Webb a middle-aged Anglo woman with sort of sandy-colored curly hair or an African-American woman in her 30s? I might have had her at Dowell.
you know it might be the anglo woman. did she teach art?
I also remember a math teacher by the name of Ms.Freeman

Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
you know it might be the anglo woman. did she teach art?
It's possible. But Dowell had done away with its art classes starting in 1974, when I started sixth grade. That's when I had the white Ms. Webb. I had the black Ms. Webb the following year. Both taught English.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
It's possible. But Dowell had done away with its art classes starting in 1974, when I started sixth grade. That's when I had the white Ms. Webb. I had the black Ms. Webb the following year. Both taught English.
mrs.webb and english sounds more familiar to me now.
I did some googling, and I think if I had stayed in el paso after wainwright, I would have gone to canyon hills middle school, then irvin high school. maybe I should go and take a look at classmates.com and see if I can find some old friends.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
Quote:
I was wondering if Wainwright was still open? did anyone go there back in 81-82? someone had told me it closed down. does El Paso still light up that big star on the mountain on Christmas?
Madrid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso