Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the el paso/ fort bliss area. My boyfriend is military, I am an LVN are there many jobs there in the home health field or good hospitals to work at? What are some nice areas as I would like to rent a house not to fond of apartments I have pit bulls. But will be getting married in the next year. Any reggae spots there love the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 44,602 times
Hey I'm moving there in June too and I am military. I can't give you really any advice, but the general feeling I am getting from this forum is they are not very hospitable to military people on here. If you reposted this same question but left out your boyfriend is military you probably would receive 4x the replies. Goodluck

Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,143,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPCAKE739 View Post
I am thinking about moving to the el paso/ fort bliss area. My boyfriend is military, I am an LVN are there many jobs there in the home health field or good hospitals to work at? What are some nice areas as I would like to rent a house not to fond of apartments I have pit bulls. But will be getting married in the next year. Any reggae spots there love the music.
Hi and (possibly) welcome to El Paso.

The health care field is about to explode in El Paso. I have two friends who are married to somewhat new LVN's and neither had any trouble finding jobs. They made about $18 an hour coming out of school and make about $22 an hour now.

I will pass on to you what I passed on to my sister (who is currently in LVN school). At least two of the local Hospital networks are trying to phase out LVN's. Will they? I have no idea. Even if they did, that still wouldn't eliminate all of the out-of-hospital LVN jobs that are available. Just food for thought though.

As far as your other questions, please use the search function on this forum. Your exact questions get asked quite often around. Contrary to what the first replier said, the lack of replies had nothing to do with you dating someone in the military. It was simply that your questions get asked very very very often. The search function will serve you well here.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-64Dpilot View Post
Hey I'm moving there in June too and I am military. I can't give you really any advice, but the general feeling I am getting from this forum is they are not very hospitable to military people on here.
You would be wrong.

Quote:
If you reposted this same question but left out your boyfriend is military you probably would receive 4x the replies. Goodluck
Wrong again.

As I noted in my previous post, many many many people post the exact same questions without doing any research on this forum. Her questions have been answered time and time and time again. It is not a hospitable or friendly thing, people are simply less likely to answer the exact same three questions over and over and over again.

1. Is El Paso dangerous? Nope.

2. What are the nicest areas of El Paso? Most replies split between West side and East side.

3. Can you recommend a private school? Yep. Use the search function.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,558,667 times
Quote:
Hey I'm moving there in June too and I am military. I can't give you really any advice, but the general feeling I am getting from this forum is they are not very hospitable to military people on here. If you reposted this same question but left out your boyfriend is military you probably would receive 4x the replies. Goodluck
I am retired from the Army and this is my hometown. You may think that my comment is biased since this is my hometown but I will try it anyways.

The town is a friendly town. I am still very involved with the military community by doing volunteer service at ACS. So far from what I see many of the families do make good comments about El Paso. Now, if Soldiers that come to El Paso with some degree of disdain for the local hispanic culture will not like it here.
I have seen Soldiers and families that have this attitude that El Paso is like being in another country and to some degree that may be true because many people do speak Spanish here. There numerous Spanish radio stations and TV stations also. However, that does not mean you won't be able to do things in the city. If you keep an open mind and not look down on the locals, you will most likely find this place friendly. You will be treated pretty much the same way you treat people. It works the same everywhere I was stationed. Take care.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that's often true. El Paso loves the big money the military brings in, the many civilian jobs that result from having Fort Bliss here but you will hear people not happy over so many people moving in from other parts of the USA.

To the OP, really you can live in any part of town, it all depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood. Not all rentals will allow dogs, I believe most apartments will not.

A hospital might be the best place to look for an LVN job, especially Beaumont Hospital or the clinics there. Doctor's offices hire LVNs but usually discriminate against English speakers, it can be difficult to find employment in some areas if you aren't fluent in Spanish.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Unfortunately that's often true. El Paso loves the big money the military brings in, the many civilian jobs that result from having Fort Bliss here but you will hear people not happy over so many people moving in from other parts of the USA.
Yet more generalization and sensationalism by malamute.

Fort Bliss, and thousands of new families, are not new to El Paso. There were as many as 22 thousand soldiers in El Paso in the 80's and 90's. Many people moving in from other parts of the USA is not new to El Paso.

The violent crime that has come with the current crop of soldiers wouldn't be popular anywhere in the USA. It is not far fetch for locals to complain about that.

Quote:
A hospital might be the best place to look for an LVN job, especially Beaumont Hospital or the clinics there. Doctor's offices hire LVNs but usually discriminate against English speakers, it can be difficult to find employment in some areas if you aren't fluent in Spanish.
Is this something you heard or do you have friends and families in the healthcare field?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Yet more generalization and sensationalism by malamute.

Fort Bliss, and thousands of new families, are not new to El Paso. There were as many as 22 thousand soldiers in El Paso in the 80's and 90's. Many people moving in from other parts of the USA is not new to El Paso.

The violent crime that has come with the current crop of soldiers wouldn't be popular anywhere in the USA. It is not far fetch for locals to complain about that.

Is this something you heard or do you have friends and families in the healthcare field?
Crime? Isn't El Paso the safest city in the whole world? That's with the military here isn't it???? It's the military of El Paso along with the police that keep us from being like Juarez.

And yes, it's common knowledge that most physician offices require Spanish language fluency. You know that's true.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM

27 posts, read 88,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post

So the crime in El Paso is from Soldiers, and not any spill over from one of, if not the most violent city in the world only a couple miles away? That sounds reasonable. I guess all those Chihuaha plates I see driving around make sure they don't bring in any of their home state with them.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Crime? Isn't El Paso the safest city in the whole world?
Last time I checked if not the safest, pretty close...

Thursday, Dec. 8, 2011
EL PASO, Texas —

El Paso again recognized as safest city in the country | www.kfoxtv.com

"For the second year in a row, El Paso has been recognized as the safest city in the country.
The crime numbers used are from 2010 crime statistics.
El Paso has ranked in the top three of this category every year since 1997."

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso