Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Crime? Isn't El Paso the safest city in the whole world?
Ah, malamute. Someone doesn't agree with you so you have to go to extremes. I have a two year old nephew that does that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And yes, it's common knowledge that most physician offices require Spanish language fluency. You know that's true.
I would say it is a common belief. Not all beliefs are true though. I am a first responder full time. I own a small business part time that primarily deals with the healthcare field. I have first hand knowledge of the healthcare field in El Paso, Texas. Not "common knowledge" or "what I heard."

Does the ability to speak English and Spanish give you an advantage over someone who only speaks English? Absolutely. Is it fair, because gosh darn it, this is the U. S. of A.? Probably not. Is it the reality of a border town? Yup.

You used the word discriminate though. You said doctor offices discriminate against English speakers. I think you are wrong. My first hand experience in the healthcare field says you are wrong. But yeah, let's go with what we heard or what you consider common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
So the crime in El Paso is from Soldiers, and not any spill over from one of, if not the most violent city in the world only a couple miles away? That sounds reasonable. I guess all those Chihuaha plates I see driving around make sure they don't bring in any of their home state with them.
If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong, but you are usually a sensible poster so I will show you respect.

I did not say Fort Bliss is responsible for all the crime in El Paso. There was no reason to infer that. I think we can both agree that the current crop of soldiers have brought violent crime to El Paso with them. There is no need for me to go to google to prove that point.

As far as spillover crime, we can bring up the City Hall incident from the summer of 2010. We can bring up the bullet that was found at UTEP that was never actually proven to be from Mexico. We can talk about the stray bullet that recently hit a women in the leg in downtown. Heck, we can even talk about all the things malamute has heard about.

Would that be enough to overshadow or even ignore the violent crime that soldiers are committing in El Paso? Is it unpatriotic to state facts? The responses in this thread would dictate yes.

But no, there isn't much to this. There wasn't an anti solider or anti Fort Bliss theme in my comment. Nor is there in my history of posts here. The only thing I am against is the "New Fort Bliss" versus "Mexican loyalty" feuds that seem to plague facebook and other social media sites. Even if Fort Bliss wasn't here, it is my belief that El Paso is still a very patriotic city. There are many El Pasoans like myself who are 5th generation Americans. Who have WWII, Korean, and Vietnam veterans in our family tree.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM

21 posts, read 57,302 times
Mistabinks you are on a roll!

Mistabinks 1 pt Malamute -5 pts (the discriminate against Spanish speakers statement put you in the hole). We all know that is not true.

Bottom line, open minded personalities end up loving El Paso. Closed minded folks dislike El Paso.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 AM

27 posts, read 88,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong, but you are usually a sensible poster so I will show you respect.

I did not say Fort Bliss is responsible for all the crime in El Paso. There was no reason to infer that. I think we can both agree that the current crop of soldiers have brought violent crime to El Paso with them. There is no need for me to go to google to prove that point.

As far as spillover crime, we can bring up the City Hall incident from the summer of 2010. We can bring up the bullet that was found at UTEP that was never actually proven to be from Mexico. We can talk about the stray bullet that recently hit a women in the leg in downtown. Heck, we can even talk about all the things malamute has heard about.

Would that be enough to overshadow or even ignore the violent crime that soldiers are committing in El Paso? Is it unpatriotic to state facts? The responses in this thread would dictate yes.

But no, there isn't much to this. There wasn't an anti solider or anti Fort Bliss theme in my comment. Nor is there in my history of posts here. The only thing I am against is the "New Fort Bliss" versus "Mexican loyalty" feuds that seem to plague facebook and other social media sites. Even if Fort Bliss wasn't here, it is my belief that El Paso is still a very patriotic city. There are many El Pasoans like myself who are 5th generation Americans. Who have WWII, Korean, and Vietnam veterans in our family tree.

I'd like to see some statistics if you have them readily available on who are behind the majority of violent crime in the area? I hear every little incident that a Soldier does that brings a negative image to the Army, and fortunately, Soldiers out committing violent crimes in El Paso aren't all that common. But if I'm missing something or getting biased information, I'd like to hear it.

I can say that the military has patrols that go to cincinatti street and other hip hangouts on the weekends to prevent or mitigate Soliders from being stupid. Do other organizations that include young people do the same?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,670 times
I tried to stay away from this post for the sake of not stirring the pot. I will go on the record and say that I am a 3rd generation American of Mexican descent. My grandfather fought in WWII and my brother is a former Marine.

It is common knowledge that most of the recent shootings have been in the NE of El Paso, which is near Ft. Bliss.

Recent incidents involving soldiers:

Nicholas Stix, Uncensored: Ft. Bliss Sgt. Kills His Female Sgt. Superior, Gets Killed by His Own Wife (links on page for additional info.)

Fort Bliss soldier guilty of murder gets life in military prison - El Paso Times

Update: Police Identify Fort Bliss Soldiers In Sunday's Deadly Shooting - News Story - KVIA El Paso

Two men indicted on murder charges in fatal nightclub shooting in January - El Paso Times

El Paso police ID woman killed in U.S. 54 crash involving military vehicle - El Paso Times

Northeast El Paso homicide tears apart family - El Paso Times

I did not do a search for other crimes involving Juarez, but if you feel the need to do so then go right ahead.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM

27 posts, read 88,715 times
Some of those aren't Soldiers at all. One was a Marine not assigned to El Paso or still in the military. And while Soldiers shooting soldiers is a violent crime, I don't see how soldiers killing each other really impacts the notion of violent crime in el paso. Are those the only murders in El Paso in the past 2 years? Or was that all you could find and in turn, came up with 3 incidents where Soldiers killed other military?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I'd like to see some statistics if you have them readily available on who are behind the majority of violent crime in the area? I hear every little incident that a Soldier does that brings a negative image to the Army, and fortunately, Soldiers out committing violent crimes in El Paso aren't all that common. But if I'm missing something or getting biased information, I'd like to hear it.
I am going to take a pass. I expanded on the point I was trying to make but it still feels like you are getting something out of my comments that isn't there. I didn't say soldiers commonly commit violent crimes. They have committed violent crimes in El Paso however. Headlines like those weren't as common before the current crop of soldiers moved to town. They certainly weren't common in the 80's and 90's when Fort Bliss was hovering around 22K soldiers plus family.

Quote:
I can say that the military has patrols that go to cincinatti street and other hip hangouts on the weekends to prevent or mitigate Soliders from being stupid. Do other organizations that include young people do the same?
Those patrols were created re-actively and not proactively because of the problems soldiers were getting into at the night clubs, correct? I do not think other organizations do that because other organizations haven't had the same issues. I don't recall any off duty fire fighters or a police officers shooting someone with a rifle at a area night club in recent memory.

None of that was the actual or original point though...

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
And while Soldiers shooting soldiers is a violent crime, I don't see how soldiers killing each other really impacts the notion of violent crime in el paso.
1. It is not about the notion, or appearance, of violent crime in El Paso. We all know there is very little violent crime in El Paso. That is a great thing.

2. What if those soldiers didn't have great aim?

3. The average El Pasoan cares when people die. Whether they came from Mexico, whether they are life long residents of El Paso, or whether they came here via Fort Bliss. Anyone dying in El Paso due to violence impacts our great city.

Quote:
Are those the only murders in El Paso in the past 2 years? Or was that all you could find and in turn, came up with 3 incidents where Soldiers killed other military?
I know you were reply to TexasCCW but isn't 3 incidents enough? BTW, there are others that could be brought up but what would that prove? Nothing positive can come from a "us" versus "them" debate.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-64Dpilot View Post
Hey I'm moving there in June too and I am military. I can't give you really any advice, but the general feeling I am getting from this forum is they are not very hospitable to military people on here. If you reposted this same question but left out your boyfriend is military you probably would receive 4x the replies. Goodluck
Seems you were right.

Still -- in spite of the apparently general belief that Fort Bliss soldiers are committing all sorts of violent crimes and that they make El Paso a scary place, the crime statistics don't show that. I doubt most of us at least most El Pasoans not posting here don't fear USA soldiers but are actually proud of them and their service to this country we live in.

Other cities seem much more supportive of the military however, and it's too bad not all El Pasoans are. The area around Fort Carson for example, lots of flags, lots of signs posted showing the support for our men and women in service.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM

UTEPAlum, it looks like that hole is getting deeper. I would be scared to see an updated scoreboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso