Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

Who is giving up, who is talking weird talk here, who is pointing fingers, and who is getting all uppity? Not me.. I was just responding to what you had said. If I am talking in tongues or something ask me to clarify my post.. I may of not been clear enough.My opinion is not the only one that matters here.. so please do continue. Don't know why you would get that feeling that I am shunning your view.

After looking back I can see how you felt that I was calling you a raciest, I am not.. I am saying that many times I have gotten into a discussion and someone will come along and turn it into that. I apologize for the error in my wording. I have also been called a raciest on these very boards. So I know how it can feel to be mistaken as such. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But I am tossing nothing at nothing and hoping for nothing other than a better understanding of why things are the way they are, and if they need to be changed.

Also I am still waiting to hear what a WASP is.. I am curious as to its meaning.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
Im from proud to be American Born Chicano and I would never wear anything stupid, especially a Meixcan Flag for any reason, I find it rather insulting that our laws based on freedom also covers the freedoms of those that dont contribute to this nation, as for that T shirt, and with it's contents probably from sleezy lifestyle person, not necessarly Chicano we got more people from Mexico here now than we got native born Mexican Americans and we are totally two diferent cultures even though we are still Mexicans by race we are Americans and thats why we call our selfs Chicanos because we dont identify ourselfs with those from across the border legal or illegal.

If I had any common sense at all, and I was caucasian I would'nt wear a T shirt that proclaims American Superiority and with a label that says I'm Proud To Be White, not if you are in the minority of the population count, not very smart and not very wise, in an anglo dominated community I could see why not, but in El Paso you'll most surely attract trouble.
a regular shirt with an American flag is suitable and even one with the flag of both countries is still ok just as long as the American flag is first because it is after all the most superior nation on Earth.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,912 times
Thanks Muhnay for clarifying your position. WASP is the old term (from my youth) WHITE ANGLO SAXON PROTESTANT. Its an old term but in my case it probably does describe my heritage. I come from people who are mostly ANGLO SAXON (ENGLISH, SCOTTISH, etc.) and we were largely protestant and not catholic. Its a dated term. I don't think its considered derogatory. I have never really heard it to be derogatory per se.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
No Problem, glad you did not toss in the towel. I had sorta guessed thats what it meant but was not sure. But thanks for explaining it to me anyways. Guess I would be a WASP too lol.. White Anglo Saxon Pagan.. heh heh.. ok maybe not that funny..

Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,527 times
Default double standard

k first off i am not rasicist nor do i object to freedom of speech and so forth, but we definitlely have a double standard in america and yes in El Paso. I see Latino magazines and black t.v. stations all the time and in all honesty, there couldnt be a "White Entertainment" t.v. station or an Ivory (as opposed to Ebony) magazine without stirring up controversy! The t-shirt in question is tacky in my opinion but thats just an opinion. It bothers me that certain groups get away with certain thing and others have to walk on eggshells. While we are on the issue, anyone have the problem of cashiers talking to you in spanish automatically? I have even had the experience many a time when i initiate a conversation with a cashier in english and still i get spanish. This bothers me, is it just me?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
I agree the t-shirt is in bad taste to say the least.There become a double standard everywhere. also had a lady speak to me in spanish at the check out line that upset me,but I just smiled at her(you would thank english would be a requirement for employement not spanish)I make due I try not to judge every-one for the actions of a few.(the male in t-shirt wants to be judge for the wrong reasons that has happen now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso