Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 AM

404 posts, read 860,378 times

Advertisements

Sunland Park Mall does not generate as much business as Cielo Vista Mall, could it become the next North Park Mall of doom? The west side is growing a whole lot, yet like in Northeast El Paso with the former North Park Mall, it seems that there is no interest in support of commerce to this mall.
Back in the seventies before Sunland Park, developers wanted to build a large mall on the west side east of Interstate 10 and Mesa; it was to be called West Town Mall.It consisted of four major department stores a high rise hotel and an office park complex next to the mall,that deal fell through.
So maybe the west side could have had two malls since Sunland Park soon was also on the drawing boards, but now to think of two empty malls with hardly any business? I went shopping there a few weeks ago and had dinner at the Greenery, it's a nice mall;Well hopefully I'm wrong and Sunland Park Mall's better days are still ahead of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 AM

575 posts, read 884,049 times
it's never had as much business as Cielo Vista mall, which I think it's a shame, because it's a very nice mall. Cielo Vista sucks, because you can never find parking.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Of course it's all about the 3 rules of good business, especially the real estate business...location-location-location.

The original Bassett Mall set the stage for the centralized development of major store sites. Had not the Farah factory been there at the time Cielo Vista Mall was developed, there would be an even larger mall presence now. Malls in the NE and now those on the west side are not centrally located and therefore couldn't be expected to see the same degree of traffic.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Well there is plenty of parking at Sunland Park Mall and over at Cielo Vista Mall at this time during the Christmas Holidays the parking situation does suck, but during the rest of year there's plenty of parking.
In the near future they are going to add a couple of parking structures on the North side of the mall and turn it into a more pedestrian friendly atmosphere as the cinema theater and mall become more easily accessible for shoppers and movie goers alike.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
I was at Sunland Park a few weeks after it opened. It's never been a busy mall but it seemed more lively when The Popular, Mervyns, JC Penny, and movie theater were there - but even then there were empty spots in the food court. The surrounding shopping centers are much busier - Best Buy, Marshalls, Ross, Academy... Hometown Buffet used to be where the China Buffet is now. Friends who work in small stores at Sunland Park say they can go all day without a sale.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
I should hope Sunland Park makes it -- it's plenty crowded and not everyone enjoys the elbow to elbow shopping of Cielo Vista -- however El Pasoans and Juarenses seem to prefer extremely crowded places most.

I went to Cielo Vista mall a number of years ago -- never again, it was just huge mobs of people, not an enjoyable experience.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM

If you are going to shop at Cielo Vista Mall during the Christmas season,without doubt you will experience elbow to elbow crowds of people; so avoid the crowds and shop on a normal day instead,sure beats the hassle.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I, too , have worried about Sunland Park Mall. You don't see very many people there like the old days. I have wondered if the Outlet Mall has siphoned off some of the customers as well. However, the traffic around Mesa Hills and Sunland was a mess on Saturday. Cars going every which way. The lots were pretty full at Target, BB and B , and the outlying shopping areas. I think the Mall needs more national chains rather than these small local shops. I don't see how the locals can afford the rent that Simon charges.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Sunland Park Mall is too quiet (if it wasn't for old mall walkers it would be dead) and Cielo Vista is too busy. Let's see how the new Fountains shopping center (615,000 sq ft) affects Cielo Vista (1,200,000 sq ft) next door.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
They had that dollar store in Sunland Park mall for a while -- that seemed to bring in a lot of customers and that store was always packed but it's gone now. It seemed to me like the parking lot was quite full everytime I past by it this Christmas shopping season, cars all the way to the edges -- but not lined up for a quarter mile trying to get in like you see at Cielo Vista - but why do people enjoy that?

Sunland Park is a convenient kind of mall -- you can get in and get out in just minutes. Probably a lot of people are more into on-line shopping now, malls may become a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso