Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,456 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I wanted to get some general opinions from El Pasoans. I was born and raised in North Mississippi, right outside of Memphis, Tennessee. I know Mississippi isn't exactly known for its Hispanic population, but I was fortunate enough to have lived in a small community since childhood that was actually mostly Hispanic and was raised up with almost all Hispanic (Mexican in particular) friends. I myself am not Hispanic, but having been very involved with them for years, I am fluent in Spanish and very familiar with and fond of Mexican culture. I would love to live in an area that had a huge population of Hispanics so I could be more immersed in the language and culture. The lack of diversity in the area of the United States where I live is very upsetting to me. I am studying linguistics, and the program at UTEP, not to mention the social sciences and humanities (and even very specialized courses such as Chicano studies which would never be available in my state) which is also something I am involved in, seem to be very good there. I was thinking very seriously about transferring there after finishing two years here in Mississippi. El Paso seems like the perfect environment for what I want, both socially and academically. I don't exactly have too many questions in particular, I am mostly just looking for any opinions on my situation El Pasoans would want to give. I know the difference in the heat (humidity here vs. the dry heat there), and that would not be a huge problem. Any other comparisons between Memphis and El Paso or little details on El Paso or UTEP you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM

404 posts, read 860,638 times
meangreenping! you should not have any problem at all adjusting to the city of El Paso or UTEP for that matter; El Paso more and more is becoming a melting pot. So for your sake, Make It Happen.... and good luck to you.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
El Paso more and more is becoming a melting pot.
No, it really isn't. And seeing that Ft. Bliss will be significantly downsizing, it will be even less so.

That said, there are two things I will warn you about moving to El Paso. One is that coming from an area with a lot of green, you may really, really start to hate the desert after a while. The lack of grass and large trees can be, to some, a little soul crushing. The second thing is that I am not sure if you are interested more in real Mexican culture, or in Mexican-American/Chicano culture. Here on the border, you will see that there is a big difference between the two. You may be very surprised and disappointed to find that there is a lot of prejudice toward Mexicans (from Mexico) from El Paso Mexican-Americans. (I know I was!!)

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 02-08-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
No, it really isn't. And seeing that Ft. Bliss will be significantly downsizing, it will be even less so.

That said, there are two things I will warn you about moving to El Paso. One is that coming from an area with a lot of green, you may really, really start to hate the desert after a while. The lack of grass and large trees can be, to some, a little soul crushing. The second thing is that I am not sure if you are interested more in real Mexican culture, or in Mexican-American/Chicano culture. Here on the border, you will see that there is a big difference between the two. You may be very surprised and disappointed to find that there is a lot of prejudice toward Mexicans (from Mexico) from El Paso Mexican-Americans. (I know I was!!)
Show me a link or something to validate your opinion; you sound like you are totally anti El Paso or don't know what you are talking about. Maybe meangreenping is interested in both cultures and not just your opinion, at least he is interested in UTEP which has both cultures and others as well. Yes there is some prejudice from both sides, to bad that the Mexican Government don't want to build a University in Juarez so they go to school here; Just like they go to school everywhere else in El Paso and don't pay taxes either. We are a border community and we have to understand to live with one another or at least get along whether we like it or not because things are not going to change.
As for Ft Bliss, it is not downsizing! there will be some cuts here and there but they are minimal budget cuts and there will not be a RIF be any means as far as troop reduction is concern.
We live in the desert which is much more different! the trees are large but they are not plentiful like say living in the woodlands, we don't get more than ten inches of rain a year so what do you expect?
What side of the fence are you talking from when you stated, there is a lot of prejudice towards Mexicans (from Mexico) from Mexican-Americans. I know I was!!.... is this your own personal opinion?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
Show me a link or something to validate your opinion; you sound like you are totally anti El Paso or don't know what you are talking about.
My opinion is my opinion, so it validates itself. If you don't agree, that is your problem. And how am I anti-El Paso?? I have lived here for seven years, so yes, I most certainly do know what I am talking about.

Quote:
Maybe meangreenping is interested in both cultures and not just your opinion, at least he is interested in UTEP which has both cultures and others as well. Yes there is some prejudice from both sides, to bad that the Mexican Government don't want to build a University in Juarez so they go to school here; Just like they go to school everywhere else in El Paso and don't pay taxes either. We are a border community and we have to understand to live with one another or at least get along whether we like it or not because things are not going to change.
Ironically, you just totally proved my point with your obviously prejudiced comments! And yes, there ARE universities (yes, plural) in Juarez! And if people from Juarez want to go to UTEP, so freaking what?! They actually PAY their tuition, unlike many El Pasoans who use government money to go to school, so I don't see anything wrong with them going to UTEP!! And many Juarenses PAY for their children to go to private school in El Paso! AND Juarenses spend millions and millions and millions of dollars (including sales tax) in El Paso every year!! El Paso should be GRATEFUL to the city of Juarez!

And don't even get me started on how the mostly Mexican-American border patrol here in El Paso treats Mexicans from Mexico, like when two or three years ago an agent MURDERED that innocent 14 year old Juarez boy (and has, at least so far, totally gotten away with it)!!! (Of course, because you are prejudiced you probably do not see this incident as a murder, because you are unable to see it as it really IS!)

Quote:
As for Ft Bliss, it is not downsizing! there will be some cuts here and there but they are minimal budget cuts and there will not be a RIF be any means as far as troop reduction is concern.
Wrong again, Miss Kitty. There actually will be a major troop reduction, as the government, due to budget cutbacks, will be downsizing the military quite a lot all over.

Quote:
We live in the desert which is much more different! the trees are large but they are not plentiful like say living in the woodlands, we don't get more than ten inches of rain a year so what do you expect?
Well, DU-UH, it is the desert! That was my POINT!! Of course, if you grew up here you probably cannot understand missing a lot of greenery, because it is not something you are really accustomed to anyway. But, for those of us who grew up somewhere green, the lack of such can get really depressing after a while! And, sorry, but most of the trees here are really quite small!

Quote:
What side of the fence are you talking from when you stated, there is a lot of prejudice towards Mexicans (from Mexico) from Mexican-Americans. I know I was!!.... is this your own personal opinion?
Oh, my goodness! Reread my post again, CORRECTLY, this time and it should be perfectly clear what I was saying! And, by the way, I am a "White"(non-Hispanic) American, so don't go thinking I am from Mexico or something, so thus my viewpoint. No, rather, I just happen to have a clear mind when in comes to prejudice and bigotry. And, I will tell you this, when I first moved here it was all, "People from Mexico do THIS" and "People from Mexico do THAT"! After seven years of living here my response is, "What a load of B.S.!"

Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,914 times
El Paso is a great town with more positives than negatives. The city is growing...our median income is lower than Memphis by about $10k. I believe Memphis is at $45k and EP is around $35k.

I moved from San Antonio back in 2008 and the transition from green to less green wasn't as difficult as not experiencing active weather patterns...squall lines, down pours, etc. Also, El Paso is really dry...and has been experiencing dryer than normal conditions for the past few years.

With that said, if you need your green fix, look no further than the Valleys or go up to Cloudcroft/Ruidoso to experience pine trees.

We lack a pro sports franchise like the Grizzlies but we are gaining a AAA baseball team. I'm not sure what the arts scene is like in Memphis, but El Paso is strong and getting stronger. We have a great Museum of Art that is free entry and there are numerous festivals throughout the year that highlight the arts.

Foodwise...you won't find any BBQ here that will even remotely satisfy your craving having come from Memphis. Other than that, there are some pretty good local spots opening up and the national chains are starting to take notice as well and are in the process of opening around the city.

Like any city...El Paso needs to be explored and experienced to be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
My opinion is my opinion, so it validates itself. If you don't agree, that is your problem. And how am I anti-El Paso?? I have lived here for seven years, so yes, I most certainly do know what I am talking about.
No it is not my problem that you have issues and then Rant about them on a open forum; I tried that a few weeks ago myself but got into trouble because some people are just plain biased and prejudice no matter what. You also claim that you are depressed because of the lack of greenery and the harsh treatment that the U.S. Border Patrol gives to the illegal immigrants. Then what are you doing here in El Paso? I would have left town in the next dust storm if I were you.

Quote:
Ironically, you just totally proved my point with your obviously prejudiced comments! And yes, there ARE universities (yes, plural) in Juarez! And if people from Juarez want to go to UTEP, so freaking what?! They actually PAY their tuition, unlike many El Pasoans who use government money to go to school, so I don't see anything wrong with them going to UTEP!! And many Juarenses PAY for their children to go to private school in El Paso! AND Juarenses spend millions and millions and millions of dollars (including sales tax) in El Paso every year!! El Paso should be GRATEFUL to the city of Juarez!
And so freaking what if people from Juarez go to UTEP? I don't see anything wrong with that! then you say that many El Pasoans use government money to go to school! FYI that money is called grants or student loans and they have to pay that money back, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING", That it's free money in the form of cheese? Many Juarenses PAY for their children to go to private school, YES THEY DO! the wealthy Juarenses do pay for they children to go to private schools! but the majority ones that go to PUBLIC SCHOOL DON'T! they use the Anchor Baby claim, and it is mostly the Caucasian none Hispanic Whites that have a FIT about this, I read it all the time in the editorials. And Juarenses spend millions and millions of dollars (excluding sales tax) FYI actually they are exempt from paying sales tax. And further more El Paso and Juarez used to be one town called Paso Del Norte, way before the illegal colonial invaders conquered the Southwest and the Pacific Coast under president Polk's expansionist era of the United States to claim the Pacific West Coast. And their is nothing racist or prejudice about this statement unless you are afraid of the truth,and surely I am not going to fall for that trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan28161529
And don't even get me started on how the mostly Mexican-American border patrol here in El Paso treats Mexicans from Mexico, like when two or three years ago an agent MURDERED that innocent 14 year old Juarez boy (and has, at least so far, totally gotten away with it)!!! (Of course, because you are prejudiced you probably do not see this incident as a murder, because you are unable to see it as it really IS!)
And don't you get me started! the 14 year old boy that was killed three years ago was trowing rocks at the U.S. Border Patrol Agents, They do it all the time, NOT TO MENTION, BULLETS being fired from the Mexican side striking El Paso's City Hall, buildings at UTEP and even a woman shopper in downtown El Paso getting struck on the leg that was fired from across the border. (YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS PREJUDICE) and your reverse psychiatry don't work on me either, hang it up it's no use.
But lets admit that the U.S. Border Patrol has an over whelm job protecting our border, yet they are faced with illegal aliens, drug smugglers, and all sorts of criminals trying to enter the country. As for the 14 year old boy that was killed in the river, WHAT BUSINESS DID HE HAVE HANGING OUT IN THE RIVER IN THE FIRST PLACE?there are plenty of modern parks in Ciudad Juarez;besides he was already a notorious repeat violator he had a rap sheet about his repeated offenses. That is perhaps why the U.S. Judge denied any money compensation to his family from the law suit that was filed, it was going to be a frivolous law suit against the U.S. Border Border Patrol. You are unable to comprehend how life is on the U.S. Mexican Border and to think that only Mexican American Border Patrol Agents are criminals when it comes to dealing with criminal aliens from Mexico, PUT YOURSELF in their shoes? You know that in Mexico the Mexican Border Patrol on their Southern Border threats illegals aliens coming in from Central and South America even worst and unfairly, at times they even torture them. If you can pass the physical exam maybe you should go work for the Border Patrol and get on the job training so you can see for yourself so you don't have to put your foot in your mouth by calling me prejudice, because I get along with these people who happen to be my brothers and sisters in an ethical way. CASE CLOSE!

Quote:
Wrong again, Miss Kitty. There actually will be a major troop reduction, as the government, due to budget cutbacks, will be downsizing the military quite a lot all over.
There will be major cutbacks but Fort Bliss wont get hit as hard as other major military facilities throughout the country; Ft Bliss is not going to get reduce to a one man lookout post! All the branches of the military are going to experience cuts and reduction if force RIF. Fort Bliss will be face with mostly civilian hiring freeze and early military retirements, There are no plans to move troops out of Ft Bliss when the post just went through 4 billion dollars of expansion and constuction.

Quote:
Well, DU-UH, it is the desert! That was my POINT!! Of course, if you grew up here you probably cannot understand missing a lot of greenery, because it is not something you are really accustomed to anyway. But, for those of us who grew up somewhere green, the lack of such can get really depressing after a while! And, sorry, but most of the trees here are really quite small!
WHAT? I cannot understand missing a lot of greenery? I use to be station in Florida,in addition, I lived in the Bay Area for 23 years, I have travel to the Island of Hawaii several times not to mention that my family use to spend summers in Ruidoso New Mexico when I was young. So you think that I never traveled outside El Paso because you are trying to stereotype me? because according to you, Hispanic don't travel.I have travel all over the world, you think that El Paso is dry? try Egypt. I find that living in places that are green and flat are very depressing and it gets old pretty quick, not to mention the infestation from mosquito's, brown recluse,ticks, you name it. But now if you talk about living close to the Pacific Ocean that's another story and I wont argue with that, it happens to be the most beautiful part of the whole country. You think that I don't know any difference between greenery and desert? DUH!

Quote:
Oh, my goodness! Reread my post again, CORRECTLY, this time and it should be perfectly clear what I was saying! And, by the way, I am a "White"(non-Hispanic) American, so don't go thinking I am from Mexico or something, so thus my viewpoint. No, rather, I just happen to have a clear mind when in comes to prejudice and bigotry. And, I will tell you this, when I first moved here it was all, "People from Mexico do THIS" and "People from Mexico do THAT"! After seven years of living here my response is, "What a load of B.S.!"
It don't matter to me who you are or what you are, but for a moment there I thought that you could be from India or Asia or some where in the deep south! Your rhetoric about Mexican Americans and Hispanics clearly identifies the nature of your character. Since You are so outspoken and very defensive about the people from Mexico, why didn't you attend the University of Juarez instead of UTEP?
These are not in anyway personal attacks against you as others here might side and sympathize in your favor and cease the moment and opportunity to do me injustice.

Last edited by Ms Kitty 98; 02-09-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenping View Post
I know Mississippi isn't exactly known for its Hispanic population, but I was fortunate enough to have lived in a small community since childhood that was actually mostly Hispanic and was raised up with almost all Hispanic (Mexican in particular) friends. I myself am not Hispanic, but having been very involved with them for years, I am fluent in Spanish and very familiar with and fond of Mexican culture.
You're going to think you hit the million dollar jackpot when you move here. El Paso is very much Mexican, the only way you'll find more Mexican culture is is you just move a few more blocks south of here.

And there isn't any real melting pot here, it's about 95% hispanic and of the hispanics very few other than Mexicans. You'll be able to go days without hearing English and since that seems what you're looking for, El Paso would work perfectly for you.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
If you go to the bank - English.
If you go to the movies - English.
Etc etc etc

If you live your life in a tiny repetitive window maybe you only hear Spanish.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Don't believe what some might tell you about that El Paso is not a melting pot; for it is they who have refused to blend in and they only stick to their own kind; Besides they are not really from El Paso since they moved here from somewhere else.
In El Paso it is true that about 75% of the population speaks Spanish and or English, but you will see several interracial people through out the city; you will see Asians, middle easterners, Germans etc etc. Not in huge over whelming numbers like you would see, say like in New York City or Los Angeles. But they do exist here! the only time that you might go days without hearing any English spoken and that would be if you were unfortunate to fall in the Juarez City Jail while in Mexico.
El Paso is very much an American City and the American Flag is displayed and flies proudly in most of our public buildings, banks,schools,church's, Fire houses, Federal,County and city buildings including thousands of peoples homes.
There are some that acknowledge only what they want to see or believe, they blot out the whole 360 degree vision and can only see from relative bearing 001 to 008 or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso