Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,945 times

Advertisements

I am looking for people who live in El Paso who are upset by the fact that horses are being transported into Mexico for slaughter through El Paso.
I do not wish to debate slaughter, I just want to find other people who want to try to keep horses from being transported into Mexico in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 AM

17 posts, read 190,650 times
I don't live in El Paso anymore however I am well aware of horses being transported to Mexico for slaughter. About a month ago, the San Antonio Express New reported on this and unfortunately it made the front page. It was quite upsetting. Since the article many rescue organizations here in South Texas have began to make an attempt to stop this. I can try to get some information on those organization for you if you'd like.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Do you remember the dog food plant there by Fort Bliss on Fred Wilson road.. the smell could be sweet or nasty depending on what they were making that day.. I remember seeing trucks off loading horse bodies there for the production of the dog food.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
I have mixed emotions on this topic. I have just been involved in a animal cruelty situation involving horses. The owner actually rescued some of these horses and then fails to care for them in a variety of ways and for a variety of ridiculous reasons. I have watched them get sick, one died recently and the other four are loosing weight because of insufficent and irregular feeding. I have been on line for the past week looking into horses all over the southwest. There will be a website with 5 pages of Quarterhorses for sale, 10 pages of Arabs, etc. and about fifty pages of "free" horses. Some are aged but many are just too much for these owners or they have found out that caring for horses is a full time job. So, here is my question: what do we do with these horses? One of these horses I am helping to rescue is a 27 year old Arab. She is so sweet and is sound. She is significantly underweight right now. Do you want a horse that may only have a couple of years left and may not be usable for much? They are costly to house appropriately. I would like to hear some feedback on this. You know, we used to send a lot of horse meat to Europe. I don't think we do that anymore.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Do you remember the dog food plant there by Fort Bliss on Fred Wilson road.. the smell could be sweet or nasty depending on what they were making that day.. I remember seeing trucks off loading horse bodies there for the production of the dog food.
No way...really??????? I remember cruising by there all the time when my parents would take me to the PX or commisary. I knew that they made dog food and treats but I had no idea that they actually delivered horses there. (You know I always thought it was a myth that horses were used for dog food.) I kind of liked the smell of the place but now...eww!! They only use horse meat for canned dog food right????

Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 AM

28 posts, read 131,875 times
It Is Just Pure Animal Cruelty, But There Are Third World Countries That Do The Same With Many Other Countries. Here In Texas They Also Sell Ostrich And Goat Meat. Not At Walmart, But In Little Stores Located Throughout Elpaso. I Am Total Opposed To It As I Own Horses Myself. They Also Do It To The Pmu Mares Used To Get Estrogen From Their Urine For The Parmicutal Companies. They Do The Same. Horses Here Are All The Time Getting Confincated For In Humane Treatment. Some Cities Like Dallas Can Handle The Influx But Here In Elpaso It Is A Small Organization To Protect Horses And There Arnt A Lot Of Temporary Adopt Familys Here To Help Either. But Every One Needs To Jump In On This. Any Thing I Can Do To Help Please Let Me Know Carmen Hueco Mountian Estates.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM

28 posts, read 131,875 times
Yes This Is True. I Get Water Delivered Where I Am At And My Water Man Saw My Horse For The First Time And Said Shed Been The Healthiest Horse He Has Seen In His Whole Time Of Working For This Company. The Other Horses He Sees Is 1 Finger Between The Ribs, Sway Back And So On. I Would Be More That Glad To Take On Some More Horses, As A Horse Haven, To Let Them Live The Rest Of Their Lives In Peace And Tranquility. Know Of Any Please Let Me Know. Carmen Hueco Mountian Estates.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,945 times
I lost this place!! I had forgotten where I posted this. If anyone in El Paso is still interested in doing something, please let me know.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
There is a adopt-a-horse program called ACHE run by Jessie Miller in El Paso. I don't have the number. This is a non-profit that she started. She may need to place horses in homes once she recovers them from abusive situations. She may have further info on your other concerns although I am not sure. It is very hard here to encourage people to care about horses being slaughtered in Mexico when we have El Pasoans and Southern New Mexicans routinely neglecting horses and no ones in these governments cares because these animals are work animals here and they are merely tools to many people. It is about re-educating people about this problem. Thanks for listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso