Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 AM

21 posts, read 110,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Yes, there is racism in El Paso just like there is in all cities.
However, in El Paso its from hispanics to whites.
There is descrimiation in the workplace for those that are monolingual
Overall, I would not say its a major issue. I would rate it a 7 out of 10, with 10 being worst.

WildWestDude, could you please explain exactly what is not a "major issue" that warrents a 7 out of 10 rating? Because to me, 7 out of 10 is pretty major. If you are referring to racism in El Paso, I respectfully but strongly disagree. I would decrease the number to a 1 or 2 out of 10 problem with race. However, if you are talking about the language issue, I agree that's a huge problem in EP, but I don't call that racism. I call it bad manners and lack of social graces.

People who use one language when others who do not speak the same language are present have never been taught how inappropriate that is. And I'm talking about any language - could be Farsi or Greek. The point is, it's just plain RUDE!

If that's a problem on the job, it should be reported so it can be stopped. On my job, there were three bilingual English/Spanish speakers and five monolingual English speakers (who, I must point out, tried at every opportunity to speak what Spanish they knew and were commended for trying). All was fine until, as the program grew, more people were hired and with those people came more Spanish speaking. I consider myself a very patient and tolerant person, but I do not take kindly to rudeness and being disrespected.

I made an appointment with my bilingual English/Spanish speaking immediate supervisor and explained my concern. She agreed with me 100% and called a group meeting the next day to put a stop to it. It did stop, thankfully, because if it had not, I, along with other monolingual English speakers, was prepared to follow the appropriate steps for reporting grievances all the way up to human resources, if necessary.

Last edited by Desert Raven; 12-02-2007 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 01:39 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
wow never thought race was an issue in El paso I am white my wife is from Chihuahua
I have never noticed being discriminated against. Many people do carry on conversations in spanish and leave me out completey , is this rude ? probably but so what ? who am I to tell other adults what manners are ? One thing is fun to do is to study spanish but don't let on that you undersand what is being said .
I found more prejudice from living around affluent people of any race looking down on me because am not as rich as they are .
here's a test stand out side a department store or convience store and open the door for everyone that comes by , In El Paso you will see who and what kind of people are rude . See who says thank you.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
heh, find a person in El Paso that will open a door for another.. does not happen very often, but when I do it like at the corner store, I would say 9 out of 10 times I get a thanks.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
exactly 9 times out of ten , now something that simple shows what a nice place this is to live .

Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
wow never thought race was an issue in El paso I am white my wife is from Chihuahua
I have never noticed being discriminated against. Many people do carry on conversations in spanish and leave me out completey , is this rude ? probably but so what ? who am I to tell other adults what manners are ? One thing is fun to do is to study spanish but don't let on that you undersand what is being said .
I found more prejudice from living around affluent people of any race looking down on me because am not as rich as they are .
here's a test stand out side a department store or convience store and open the door for everyone that comes by , In El Paso you will see who and what kind of people are rude . See who says thank you.

I've noticed discrimination both ways -- I've seen conversations switch from English to Spanish when an English speaker walks into a room. I've also seen where employees in a fast food place were speaking in Spanish until a farmworker or Mexican appearing to be of humble means walks in and they switch to English and are less than helpful with that person.

And one of the most glaring kinds of racism is where complete strangers will chastise a hispanic that does not speak Spanish. A woman approached a guy who actually came from India but who looked like he could be Mexican, speaking to him in Spanish. He politely told her "Excuse me ma'am, I don't speak Spanish" and she began to shout at him (in front of others and in English at that point) about forgetting his language -- of course in that case it was absurd and laughable.

Or the way some people are sneered at because their kids aren't Spanish speaking but have a Spanish last name or hispanic parent -- as though it was any of their business.

Obviously it exists -- but like you suggest it can be all in how someone responds to it or if they care. If people aren't especially sensitive or don't care one way or the other -- just like anywhere -- that makes the difference.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
heh, find a person in El Paso that will open a door for another.. does not happen very often, but when I do it like at the corner store, I would say 9 out of 10 times I get a thanks.
That's one reason I'm not real big on the idea of El Paso becoming like every other huge city. I've always liked the small town attitudes more.

As we get bigger and bigger, especially with the traffic getting bad, people are losing their laid-back patient attitudes.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:22 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Try living in the South. Compared we don't have a problem here at all.. except the language one. And maybe that helps keep the peace, because either side has no clue what the other is saying about it.. =) just a little humor there.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,610 times
Maybe its because I am an old lady (well not so old, but wrinkly), I get nothing but the kindest courtesy in El Paso. Everybody holds the door for me and I don't even wobble when I walk or anything. I had three people come up to me at Albertson's today and ask if they could help me with my groceries between the cashier and the door. Yes, they work there and that is their job, but I dare you to find that kind of help in Las Cruces. The language thing....I just refuse to comment on that any more.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,365 times
Ironically, I've lost count of how many times I've been discriminated in El Paso. Yes, I'm Hispanic and it was in El Paso. Despite a large Hispanic population, I have had much difficulty finding jobs even if I qualify for the position. I have Bachelor's degree and am working on my Masters now. I applied for a position that required a Bachelor's degree. The Board of Directors interviewed five applicants and I was the only one with degree. Instead, they hired a woman WITHOUT a degree. I didn't understand this and when I learned who was hired, I filed a discrimination complaint with EEOC the same day. They investigated for a few weeks and found nothing. I later learned that the man in charge of EEOC Office was a friend of the Board President. I left El Paso 5 months later and relocated to Austin in 1999. Here, I got a job on a whim.

In 2000, I relocated again and moved to Phoenix, AZ. Within 2 weeks, I was hired and then hired by the "Big 4" accounting firm (KPMG, LLP).

Anyways, a change of career-I applied for a position in Austin and again, I was offered a job on the whim. All bosses in the past were White with except for the Board of Directors.

It wasn't until I learned from one of my co-workers who was White who said that it was nothing new for some Hispanics to discriminate against their own people especially if one is not "brown" enough. I was surprised. I didn't believe this, but I learned that El Paso Sheriff Leo Samenigo experienced the same situation because he was "too white" to be a Hispanic.

I had no problem finding jobs in Phoenix and Austin. Hmph! Despite this, I still love El Paso.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,442 times
Interesting read.

My own experience in EL Paso (lived there for for most of the 80s) was overall very good, with regard to racism.

My wife was Korean though (I am white), so we did get "that look" sometimes, in certain places. Nothing that ever bothered me for more than a moment though.

As far as the talking Spanish in front of those who don't speak it - I don't know what to say about that other than it never bothered me. As a white kid from MN I just felt that it came with the territory, and in fact, I decided to make a challenge out of it by listening intently, and then asking questions later of my Spanish speaking friends. I tried to make it into free Spanish lessons.

I guess I don't view it as anymore rude than people in southern Switzerland speaking Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso