Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I guess the definitions vary by how long someone has been here and just by what they happen to think.
I agree with your description and matched it in an earlier post. My boyhood home was on Mesita, on the north city limit at the time and on the north side of Kern Place. As I already said, I never heard the terms "west side" or for that matter "east side" back then. Since there were fewer neighborhoods to keep track of in the years prior to the 1950s, most people were defined by which of those neighborhoods they lived in. I lived in Kern Place, you lived in Sunset Heights or Manhattan Heights or Logan Heights, South El Paso etc. People in the county lived in the Upper Valley or Lower Valley. The areas south and east of the airport, north of Beaumont hospital, and north of Kern Place were uninhabited desert for the most part until the 1950s.

As for that District Map, it has several overlaps and doesn't coincide with my definitions of East, West, Central, NE.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:45 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I agree with your description and matched it in an earlier post. My boyhood home was on Mesita, on the north city limit at the time and on the north side of Kern Place. As I already said, I never heard the terms "west side" or for that matter "east side" back then. Since there were fewer neighborhoods to keep track of in the years prior to the 1950s, most people were defined by which of those neighborhoods they lived in. I lived in Kern Place, you lived in Sunset Heights or Manhattan Heights or Logan Heights, South El Paso etc. People in the county lived in the Upper Valley or Lower Valley. The areas south and east of the airport, north of Beaumont hospital, and north of Kern Place were uninhabited desert for the most part until the 1950s.

As for that District Map, it has several overlaps and doesn't coincide with my definitions of East, West, Central, NE.

Yeah, that district map puts pieces of different sectors of town in the same city council district.

Maybe the city has grown so far east that Cielo Vista is in East Central to some people now. When I came along, the west side had grown so far out along North Mesa (Coronado opened in, I think, 1962 and a lot of the neighborhoods around it were probably there before then--maybe before John F. Kennedy's presidency started) that nobody was saying that Mission Hills was on the west side. It was in Central. Likewise for the northeast side; it was almost all the way out to where Sean Haggerty Drive is today and it started at Fred Wilson; if you lived on, say, Harrison, you lived in Central. Not Northeast. Maybe 20 years from now the city will have grown so far out that people will consider the east side to start at North Yarbrough and Northeast at Hondo Pass.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

Yes the older definitions actually meant something. East versus west doesn't describe much since the exact same kinds of subdivisions are being built everywhere and slso very different kinds of neighborhoods get included. Kern Place means something, even the style of houses and the park, and the stores there were and weren't there, same with Sunset Heights, Coronado, 5 points, Pebble Hills, Segundo Barrio and so on. Each area was distinct in certain ways, like the Bowie Bakery wasn't in Kern, nor would you have looked for a Chicos Tacos in Kern. They each felt different.

It was actually fun to go to other parts of town, almost felt like El Paso was about 5 different towns close together.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Each area was distinct in certain ways, like the Bowie Bakery wasn't in Kern, nor would you have looked for a Chicos Tacos in Kern. They each felt different.
Kern Place has always had businesses in the same spot as today - in an area back then that was the two blocks bordered by Mesa, Baltimore, N. Stanton and Robinson.

There was Dean's Grocery and Kern Drug, a barber, beauty shop, small restaurant/grill, several service stations, and several other buildings with businesses I can no longer recall. The service stations were all on Mesa, within that same 2-block area, and competed with each other for business. Where the Don Haskins Center is now, there was once a golf driving range.

At the same time of my reference, Manhattan Heights was like an "alternative Kern Place." And both neighborhoods have residences today that have been continually maintained and renovated to make them desirable to the owners. I even see a web site for the Manhattan Heights Neighborhood Association.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso