Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times

Advertisements

The media keeps referring to the UTEP/Kern area as the west side. They will say a new restaurant is opening on the west side then I'm disappointed when I find out its down by UTEP. To me the west side starts at Executive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,058 times
I don't think here is a true definition. Even if there is, many people will go by different landmarks.

To me, the Far East side starts at Joe Battle.

The east side starts at Cielo Vista

Again, to me only, UTEP is sort of its own area. Technically the west side, I guess. I'd go with your example of the west side beginning at Executive.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
I always understood it like this: the East Side is north of I-10 and east of Airway Boulevard and Airport Road, with the far east side beginning at Joe Battle Boulevard. East Central, I think, would be from I-10 north to the railroad tracks north of Pershing Drive and the main part of Fort Bliss and from Cotton Street east to Airway. (Is Cotton too far west? I think Five Points would be in East Central, which means it couldn't start at Piedras Street.) Some news stories have been putting the eastern boundary of East Central somewhere around the utility easement just west of Catnip Street--they've been putting Cielo Vista in East Central, in other words--but I'm not sure we should go with that.

West Central would be from I-10 between Porfirio Diaz and Cotton Streets north to Executive Center Boulevard west of Mesa Street and Castellano Drive east of it (which would include the UTEP campus, Kern Place, Mission Hills, and the La Guna neighborhood along San Marcos Drive as well as the Hart's Mill area around West Paisano Drive and Ruhlen Court, Sunset Heights, and the neighborhoods east of it north of I-10 and below Kern Bluff). The West Side would be north of Executive Center and East Castellano up to Helen of Troy Drive east of I-10 and Art Craft Road west of it, and Northwest Side would be north of that.

I don't know if City Hall would have an official definition.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM

575 posts, read 883,869 times
I always thought downtown was the delineator. Westside starts west of downtown. UTEP is on the Westside, as is Kern.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
I always thought downtown was the delineator. Westside starts west of downtown. UTEP is on the Westside, as is Kern.
I agree. West side to me means that area north of the Rim Road mesa (escarpment). East side is that area south and east of the intersection of Montana with Airport Road.

It's also fairly easy to think of the east/west sides of a center line drawn along the Franklin Mountain range.

My boyhood home was on Mesita, which until the mid 1950s was the city limit. The Upper Valley began at what in those days was referred to as "The Crossroads" - meaning the intersection of Mesa and Doniphan. I never remember hearing anyone referring to Kern Place as being "the west side" and also can't recall people speaking of the lands beyond Loretto Academy as "the east side." The refinery complex was in the county at that time, with none of the housing that now abuts it. The city limit was just beyond Loretto Academy. The Ascarate area was an unincorporated community in the county, as was Ysleta.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I agree. West side to me means that area north of the Rim Road mesa (escarpment). East side is that area south and east of the intersection of Montana with Airport Road.

It's also fairly easy to think of the east/west sides of a center line drawn along the Franklin Mountain range.

My boyhood home was on Mesita, which until the mid 1950s was the city limit. The Upper Valley began at what in those days was referred to as "The Crossroads" - meaning the intersection of Mesa and Doniphan. I never remember hearing anyone referring to Kern Place as being "the west side" and also can't recall people speaking of the lands beyond Loretto Academy as "the east side." The refinery complex was in the county at that time, with none of the housing that now abuts it. The city limit was just beyond Loretto Academy. The Ascarate area was an unincorporated community in the county, as was Ysleta.
I came along in the late Sixties; I never heard Kern Place referred to as on the West Side. Or Mission Hills. Bassett Middle School was never really in Northeast, which began at Fred Wilson. Everything north of I-10, south of Executive Center and East Castellano west of the mountains, and south of Fred Wilson and west of Airway east of the mountains was Central, and everything south of I-10 and west of Ascarate Park to about Porfirio Diaz was the South Side (not "South Central"), except for the area from I-10 south to Paisano and west of Saint Vrain Street and the Magoffin House, which was Downtown.

It still looks like it's that way, basically, except for the addition of the Northwest Side (which always seems to be north of Helen of Troy and Art Craft) and the folding of the South Side into Central (which quite a few people seem to ignore) and the division of Central into Downtown, West Central, East Central (all defined as I've previously described in this thread) and North Central (east of the mountains and from the railroad tracks north of Pershing to Fred Wilson).

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 AM

111 posts, read 176,950 times
Downtown at least for me

Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 PM

135 posts, read 241,051 times
This will pretty much give you the break down.

1: West side
2: Centrel
3,5,6,7: East Side ( Lower Valley )
4: North East
8: South/Central Downtown. ( upper valley )

Old 06-29-2014, 03:41 PM

238 posts, read 420,248 times
I concur with the poster above. However I consider district 5, 6 and some of 7s to be part of the Far East side.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The media keeps referring to the UTEP/Kern area as the west side. They will say a new restaurant is opening on the west side then I'm disappointed when I find out its down by UTEP. To me the west side starts at Executive.
There was a time when there wasn't really much past Executive.

I guess the definitions vary by how long someone has been here and just by what they happen to think. I've always thought Coronado and Kern and Upper Valley were west side, Central was more the north downtown area, the south was mostly the segundo barrio and the east was east of 5 points and the northeast was north of 5 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso