Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 61,948 times

Advertisements

So, im totally new in town, and I finally settled on living in the Westside (Sunland Park Drive), and im a big craft beer aficionado and the occasional drinker of a good cocktail/spirit. I am TOTALLY unfamiliar with the liquor laws here, having come from CA, where you could sell all liquor just about anywhere, and im wondering, are there any Liquor/beer specialty stores that have good selections, if so what are their names? I did a quick google search and only found like two places(some place called Specs, and another called WB Liquors). The other thing I noticed was that Costco sells liquor in a separate section of the store without a membership needed. Are these the only real places that specialize in liquor/beer? Do they sell hard liquor in grocery stores? Also WHERE are all the grocery stores? I ve been here about 4 days and haven't noticed any national grocery stores like Kroger or Ralphs etc...is there a local grocery chain that's big here? Sorry if these questions are stupid--im just totally unfamiliar with the area stores..

Thank you in advance for any tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM

238 posts, read 420,427 times
Specs is definitely the place to go if you want craft beers and liquor. Western Beverages is okay but the selection is definitely limited as compared to Spec's. Alternatively if it is Sunday or passed 9 PM (Mon-Sat) you can always buy liquor at the Stateline (it is a separate store from the restaurant). You may also want to check Hoppy Monk on N Mesa if you like craft/specialty beers since they have an array of various beers on tap.

As far as grocers go, you are unfortunately stuck with various large chains here (Albertson's, Target, Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco). If you get tired of shopping at these places you can always check out Sprouts (it is near you place of residence).

Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,249 times
There are no Kroger or Ralph stores in my hometown of El Chuco...You will likely only see something like Big 8, Albertson, and the usual Walmart..You can buy beer anywhere in a most convenicence stores like 7-11 and Circle K..There is a liquor store on Airway behind the Elmer's Restaurant..I am not a drinker..but I buy bottles of tequila to give to my friends that I go visit as gifts..I get them in Juarez..right across the bridge..at either Del Rio..or keep walking ..you will find other stores that sell liquor..but I am pretty sure you need a passport to cross or have a crossing card..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 PM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
Specs and Sprouts are both off Sunland Park Drive and are the best liquor and grocery stores near you, respectively. I think Specs probably would special order any alcohol they didn't have (but am not positive).

The next closest grocery store to you would be . . . Albertson's on Mesa and Resler. (I'm not including the Big 8 at Mesea and Sunland because i think it sucks)

Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 AM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
Also, they don't sell hard liquor in grocery stores -- only liquor stores. I've never found a good link with simple sales laws set out, and they are done by county, I think. As far as I know, you cannot buy alcohol before noon on Sunday (beer and wine in grocery stores--liquor stores closed on Sunday). I also think you can't buy after 10 pm. somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
Also, they don't sell hard liquor in grocery stores -- only liquor stores. I've never found a good link with simple sales laws set out, and they are done by county, I think. As far as I know, you cannot buy alcohol before noon on Sunday (beer and wine in grocery stores--liquor stores closed on Sunday). I also think you can't buy after 10 pm. somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
In Texas, where you can sell alcohol or what kind (beer, wine, liquor) varies not only by county, but by municipality and county commission precinct. Texas has dry counties where beer, wine and liquor sales are severely restricted if not banned outright, but they're all in the Panhandle. In some Texas counties you can only buy alcohol within certain cities' limits or county commission precincts or there's restrictions on where you can buy beer, wine, liquor or mixed drinks. El Paso County is a wet county, with no restrictions anywhere in the county.

Texas liquor sales hours

List of Texas wet and dry counties as of June 2014

For a complete list, click on "Wet-Dry Spreadsheet as of June 2014" in the sidebar on the right on the second page. You'll need Excel installed to download and read it and a key to all the codes used is at the bottom. I'll repost it here:

Definitions:

Wet (W): The term "wet" when used with respect to a particular type of beverage sale respect in a given jurisdiction means that the entire jurisdiction, every square inch of it, is wet for that type of sale.

Partly Wet (PW): The term "partly wet" means that there are one or more parts of the jurisdiction in which a particular type of beverage sale is legal but there are other parts in that jurisdiction where that type of sale is not legal.

Dry: The term "dry" means the jurisdiction is dry throughout. No type of alcoholic beverage sales is permitted.

B-On: Sale of Beer for on premises consumption authorized. Not used to describe areas where sales for on-premises consumption can only take place under the authority of a MB or RM.

B-Off: Sale of Beer for off-premises consumption authorized

W-On: Sale of Wine for on-premises consumption authorized. Not used to describe areas where sales for on-premises consumption can only take place under the authority of a MB or RM.

W-Off: Sale of wine for off-premises consumption authorized.

DS-Off: Sale of distilled spirits for off-premises consumption authorized.

MB: Sale of mixed beverages authorized. Not used to describe areas where sale of mixed beverages only authorized in restaurants.

RM: Sale of mixed beverages authorized but only in restaurants.

I think just over the line in New Mexico you can buy hard liquor in grocery stores--I saw it everywhere in Silver City, beer, wine, liquor, in supermarkets and convenience stores--but not before noon on Sunday, when they had the liquor sections roped off.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
I am waiting for Chicken Little to post that in El Paso you can only find Corona, Tecate, and Tres X beers.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
It's hard to remember that in 2014 there are still dry counties in Texas.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
i am waiting for chicken little to post that in el paso you can only find corona, tecate, and tres x beers.
:d :d :d

Wish there was a ROFLMAO smilie!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
beer barn has pretty good selections and aslo party time by socorro, they have large selction of beer and wine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso