Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 05:57 PM

363 posts, read 443,193 times

Advertisements

Hi again!

I've noticed none of these houses have a screened porch. I am in mosquito capital Florida now. Basically, no screen means you can't use your yard here. So, why don't any yards in El paso have screened porches. Are there no bugs eating you at dusk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
So, why don't any yards in El paso have screened porches. Are there no bugs eating you at dusk?
The only areas where mosquitoes pose enough of a problem in the hottest months of summer are in the irrigated rural/farmlands to the north and south of the city. My farmer grandparents had screened porches but they are virtually unheard of today with most houses being year around climate controlled.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM

You can walk outside and not get attacked? Sounds like a dream fantasy land.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The only areas where mosquitoes pose enough of a problem in the hottest months of summer are in the irrigated rural/farmlands to the north and south of the city. My farmer grandparents had screened porches but they are virtually unheard of today with most houses being year around climate controlled.

Only place I've really noticed them was in the upper valley by the Rio Grande as well as some parts of Fort Bliss by streams/creeks.

Otherwise, it's pretty awesome not having to worry much about mosquitoes.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM

In Florida they spray the parks but other than that you stay inside or in your screened areas. I love to sit out and put a tv outside as well. I also walk a lot. I won't have to time my walks around dawn and dusk anymore.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Only place I've really noticed them was in the upper valley by the Rio Grande as well as some parts of Fort Bliss by streams/creeks.

Otherwise, it's pretty awesome not having to worry much about mosquitoes.
Are you talking about the Sacramento River? That's the only stream on the Fort Bliss reservation that I know of. I believe it flows down from the Sacramento Mountains east of Alamogordo going south through southeastern Otero County and ends at the salt flats south of Dell City that people from the El Paso area used to take salt from up until around the Salt Wars of the late 19th century. What other streams are there on Fort Bliss?

I came from east Texas, where there are not just mosquitoes but lots of other kinds of bugs swarming around. In northeast El Paso when I was a kid, houseflies were really the only flying insect problem (any plant that attracted bees in our neighborhood didn't take long to disappear from people's gardens), and now in my part of southern California, it's also houseflies, to where I can't keep my first-floor patio door open for very long. But I can definitely live without mosquitoes.

To the OP: My guess is that you are going to have to keep your windows and doors shut as much as possible and put screens on your windows, and invest in fly spray or flyswatters. Mosquitoes may not bother you but houseflies probably will.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:07 PM

23 posts, read 57,513 times
If you like being outside, El Paso is a whole lot more comfortable than Florida! I lived in north-central FL for 22 years and EP for 2 years before moving to Memphis (for 2 years). Now we are moving back to EP. Let me tell you....I can still remember just stepping outside for a few seconds to get the mail in FL - pouring down sweat, not to mention mosquitoes buzzing in my ears! I had to bathe myself in Deet if I wanted to do any yardwork! Nobody in their right minds would have a porch or pool without a screen! Other things I don't miss about FL - fire ants, water bugs, hurricanes......but the desert has sand storms.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM

575 posts, read 884,633 times
I don't really know why people don't seem to have screened porches here. I added one to my new construction home. I built it for privacy, for protection from bugs, for shelter from sun and wind, and for fresh air for my animals while keeping them safe inside. Big win.

You do have to worry about mosquitoes here in the summer. We have several cases of West Nile each year.

I live in the Upper Valley west of the Rio Grande (which does get water in the summer). The bigger problem is not the river though, it's the ponding areas and ditches alongside the roads which hold water all summer. Mosquitos, frogs, lots of wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso