Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:43 PM

363 posts, read 442,757 times

Advertisements

El paso is much less dog friendly than my other stops. El paso events prohibit dogs or doesn't give information on dog rules most of the time. In Florida dogs were welcome at almost all outdoor city run events.

Not so in dog unfriendly el paso.

Almost 60%of homes have friendly canine family members who need walking. The events would see more activity allowing friendly leashed dogs. Food truck vendors, crafters, etc. would benefit.

Zin valle, the chihuahuas, and the farmers markets seem to understand this.

So... let the dogs out El paso event planners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 02:25 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
It's not "rules", just that few El Pasoans walk their dogs. Dogs are either always-indoor little things like pugs or chihuahuas, or are outdoor backyard dogs getting little attention. Compared to other cities I see few dogs out for a walk.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 PM

26 posts, read 47,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's not "rules", just that few El Pasoans walk their dogs. Dogs are either always-indoor little things like pugs or chihuahuas, or are outdoor backyard dogs getting little attention. Compared to other cities I see few dogs out for a walk.
Exactly. Because most of them continue to either wake me up or keep me awake at night, I've pinpointed 14 nearby dogs spread out over six nearby houses -- all within easy earshot.

I've yet to see any of these owners walking any of these dogs, which are a mixture of indoor dogs that hate being outside, and backyard dogs that hate being ignored.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 PM

575 posts, read 883,769 times
I see lots and lots of neighbors walking their dogs around me. Maybe because there's a good walking path?

I despise people who park their dogs in the their yard without ever walking them or playing with them.

However, I'm nervous around dogs I don't know so just as happy they're not all over "city events"

Old 09-07-2015, 04:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I don't understand why people just leave their dogs in their yard all day/night. What good does that do for you or the dog?

I told my wife that the dog only goes outside to potty. Our dog is very protective. I told my wife, "How is the dog going to protect you if there's an intruder in the house and the dog is trapped outside?"

Plus, it's just too hot to leave your dog outside here. Our dog likes walking regardless of the heat or cold. She doesn't like rain, though.

I think one big reason why dogs are not as welcome here as other places is because people just don't take care of their dogs. I haven't heard about fleas/ticks, parvo, distemper, etc. as much as I have here. People don't seem to believe in spaying/neutering their dogs and don't believe in vaccines. We adopted a black lab puppy from the Humane Society under 601, she died 10 days later from distemper. Vet said it was a somewhat common thing for dogs coming from the Humane Society.

We ended up going to Austin to adopt from there, they have a totally different take on dogs, they're a no kill city and very well taken care of.

I'm a big fan of senior rescues now. Their appreciation for a good home is just amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
I see lots and lots of neighbors walking their dogs around me. Maybe because there's a good walking path?

I despise people who park their dogs in the their yard without ever walking them or playing with them.

However, I'm nervous around dogs I don't know so just as happy they're not all over "city events"
I walk my dog twice a day. Morning is the shorter walk at around 3/4 mile and evening is about 1.5 miles. Walking is good for both of us. I don't claim to be a dog expert but I believe if you do not walk your dog, they will not be familiar with the neighborhood and can easily get lost if they get out. Our dog is quite familiar with the neighborhood as we walk it more than anyone else I've seen. In fact, we were out walking and it started to pour rain. We were the next block over and she started sprinting for our street and house because she didn't want to get rained on.

Are you by the Resler trail? When we lived at Puerta Villa, that was our normal walking route. We would walk to Cimarron Park, walk around the park then head home.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:42 PM

575 posts, read 883,769 times
no, the Artcraft path.

I walked my cat today -- does that count?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
no, the Artcraft path.

I walked my cat today -- does that count?
We almost rented out there on Artcraft by the underpass. I've done that ride on my bike, very nice trail!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,058 times
Tons of dog walkers in my neighborhood

Old 09-08-2015, 08:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
Dogs are a lot of work to be taken care of correctly. That's why I don't own any.

There are some lazy people out there (including some of my family members) that's shoud not be allowed to own dogs.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
I see few dogs being walked, but when I go out for a stroll in the evening you can track my progress by the backyard dogs barking as I pass. One starts and they all join in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso