Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
I love this post... No, you are not cranky at all, you are spot on.
Thanks for the kind words palermodude -

You know, I don't in any way want to sound pompous or arrogant. Those qualities are some of the worst in human nature, and if I ever display those, I should be ashamed.

However, you know, my wife has a great earning potential professionally. In many ways, before we had kids, she was a better, more successful professional than I was. Thus, if we had her working right now and did daycare for our kids, we'd be financially so much better off than we are now.

However, as it stands, we struggle. And things financially are tight. And thus stressful. However, to us, it is every day worth it for me to just work and for her to raise our kids. Sadly (to us anyway), this is not really how it is "done" anymore, however, we try to do it. Because we so much very care about their upbrining, their morals, their learning, etc., and yes, their discipline, that we think it is better for one of us to raise them and instill these things in them, rather than some daycare worker or babysitter or whomever.

Now, I realize fully that some parents have no choice other than to use babysitters, daycare, etc. And for those parents, hey, they simply have to do what they have to do, and there is nothing in the world wrong with that. They deserve praise and laudits too.

However, so many parents today don't HAVE to work...they just WANT to work, and let their kids' needs fall secondarily. And that bothers me. Because it impacts the lives of those kids in many instances SEVERELY. And all of us as society and citizens too.

Kids need to be raised. Does it take a village? Sure. However, when "the village" hasn't started at home with mom/dad, then the whole village is screwed up and the kids are worse off. To me, it takes mom/dad first and foremost. Then the rest will fall into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso