Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times

Advertisements

I'd say about an hour or so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I hear this opinion all the time from Military personnel. You said a lot in your small post. Something most people who Love El Paso don't see, or want to address. El Paso needs to grow up and address many of the problems it has.. ignoring them wont make them go away. I really think this Must Speak Spanish thing is a discriminatory act, and they should be able to be sued over it.
If they ever want to seriously make El Paso a progressive town or a "cool" city where people want to live and work -- then the language issue would have to be addressed. More than any eminent domain, or downtown revitalization -- because ethnic/language discrimination is what drives so many people of all races -- including hispanic away.

Almost every one of my old friends have left El Paso -- and the ones most adamant about never coming back are hispanic -- so the discrimination doesn't keep them here either. It was better here when there was a good mix of people, when there was some diversity but more and more the diversity is gone. Military families coming in will make for more diversity -- but will they stay when they find out their kids won't be hired even for part time after school jobs?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:07 PM

167 posts, read 483,748 times
We moved here last year and if we had a do-over, would not do it. We live on the westside, schools are academically good, but do not nuture the students and are overcrowded. Property taxes are crazy. Drivers are crazy, and there does not seem enough manners and politeness to go arround.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinggreen View Post
We moved here last year and if we had a do-over, would not do it. We live on the westside, schools are academically good, but do not nuture the students and are overcrowded. Property taxes are crazy. Drivers are crazy, and there does not seem enough manners and politeness to go arround.
Now what areas are you comparing this against?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I would gather from the post, the West side.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
Now what areas are you comparing this against?
El Paso USED to be friendly -- today it's not really all that friendly.

A woman here told me that she had to go in for some kind of exam at the hospital -- it took longer than she thought it would and she had cancer and was on chemotherapy. She shouldn't have driven after sunset but had no one to call on so decided to drive slowly and carefully home. She said people were honking at her and some young guy yelled out his window (in Spanish but she was hispanic) "Old turtle, get off the road".

We have the same road rage incidients that are in other cities, people are going nowhere but fast and impatiently. I think that has to do with size and very rapid population growth -- the friendliness of a smaller town no longer exists -- but it's still friendlly enough for the size of city it's become.

Some parts of town are friendlier than others. If someone is coming from another big unfriendly city, they may find it friendlier than where they left, if they are coming from a small town very friendly city -- they likely won't find it very friendly here. Sometimes it depends one what work place on is in -- some are friendlier than others.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 PM

254 posts, read 790,222 times
Default May be relocating to ELP

Missingreen, I second the motion. It was a good experience living in El Paso but one I would care not to repeat. It's a pathetic place where most people are just ignorant or just apathetic. I can't wait to get out of here,,,just waiting for my house to sell!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Humm lets look at those two words used..

apathetic

ap·a·thet·ic Pronunciation [ap-uh-thet-ik]
–adjective
1. having or showing little or no emotion: apathetic behavior.
2. not interested or concerned; indifferent or unresponsive: an apathetic audience.

And

ignorant

ig·no·rant Pronunciation[ig-ner-uhnt]
–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Thats interesting. So El Paso people are not interested or concerned; indifferent or unresponsive, uninformed; unaware. In what ways do you derive this opinion?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
I find El Paso quite enjoyable. I have come from larger cities and find it relaxing, traffic a breeze and the people are the friendliest I have met in any city I have lived in to date.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 24,352 times
Default If you have established jobs, that's okay.

Your incomes would be upper middle class, compared to other areas. And do NOT lose that job once you get here. Jobs are few and far between here.

This city has been a lesson on making do with less....and less..........and less.

The Bilingual skill is what really narrows the opportunities here. It is almost a prequisite to speak Spanish to be employed.

I moved back four years ago, and regret it, mucho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso