Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,401 times

Advertisements

is it Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, Lubbock? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,221,289 times
I personally identify alot with San Antonio, culture wise, it reminds me alot of El Paso, their a lil more diverse than us, but for the most part, its one of the few citys ive been to, that i feel totally comfortable in. Its a very big city, but in alot of ways, it has a small town feel to it, [ala el paso], their downtown is nice, but it is in need of a revitilization too, alot of old buildings, like el paso. In fact alot of bulidings look like buildings in el paso. San Antonio, is basically a model of what el paso has the potential to become, the weather it takes some getting used to, but besides that, i really dig san antonio!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,578 times
I hate houston the people are rude and never slow down, only been through dallas so I do not know anything about that bigger then life city other than at night it looks good!!
I lived in San Antonio and loved it, my sister lives there and I get to go every 2years and have a great time!! she tell me it has gone to hell and she can not stand it but she does not mean that she has lived there for over 20years(cant be that bad).
I no nothing of the other places.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:24 PM

507 posts, read 1,660,452 times
I think its more McAllen than any other city in Texas, if you are talking bigger cities then San Antonio is probably one.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,401 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

This is for anyone to answer, do you feel more connected to places such as Tuscon, Albuquerque or Phoenix than other cities in Texas.

I recently drove through El Paso coming from Vegas and was amazed how far EP and Dallas were apart.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM

195 posts, read 658,137 times
I'd say San Antonio because when you are not looking at the hills and the green you almost believe you're in EP. It also has a big population of Mexican/Lationo/Hispanic's as well as a big military population as well. Hell a very big military population lol. I've only met a few San Antonioans with drawls other than that a lot of the residents sound like us in EP. But I could also defenitely see the similarities with the likes of a McAllen/Harlingen/Brownsville/Laredo as well.

Big Reg

Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
is it Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, Lubbock? Just curious.
For me none of them, nor any in New Mexico or Arizona except probably Las Cruces. El Paso isn't really like any of those bigger cities that are elsewhere, it's got it's own distinct flavor. One of the distinctions about El Paso is that we're kind of isolated from everything out here -- for good and bad.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,643 times
I'm originally from EP but have been living in Austin or almost 20 yrs and one thing i notice is how El Paso seems detached from the rest of the state. If you live anywhere in or around the triangle between DFW, SA, and Houston you feel like you have much in common with people from all those cities. We all have that Texan attitude, sometimes brash, full of state pride. I met a couple from Toronto visiting Texas for the first time, the husband asked me If I thought of myself as a Texan or an American first. Odd question to ask to anyone from any other state except Texas. I don't get that sense coming back to El Paso, Don't know if it's the distance thing or what. Sometimes it seems people Identify more with California or Arizona.
Politics wise, El Paso doesn't go the way the rest of the state does either, but than again neither does Austin.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Corpus Christi.. its El Paso on the Gulf.. pretty much.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazama View Post
I'm originally from EP but have been living in Austin or almost 20 yrs and one thing i notice is how El Paso seems detached from the rest of the state. If you live anywhere in or around the triangle between DFW, SA, and Houston you feel like you have much in common with people from all those cities. We all have that Texan attitude, sometimes brash, full of state pride. I met a couple from Toronto visiting Texas for the first time, the husband asked me If I thought of myself as a Texan or an American first. Odd question to ask to anyone from any other state except Texas. I don't get that sense coming back to El Paso, Don't know if it's the distance thing or what. Sometimes it seems people Identify more with California or Arizona.
Politics wise, El Paso doesn't go the way the rest of the state does either, but than again neither does Austin.
I can identify with your comments. Although I live in ATX I still find myself attached to ELP. I have been gone for 8 years now. I know alot of people that are great to be around with in ELP. I really enjoy going back home twice a year. I love the city and I will go back some day.

That Texas attitude has made me a target with friends and family. Not only is ELP seperated geographically but in alot of other ways too. The Texas pride kinda offends some El Pasoans.

But there is the minority (or maybe it is the majority?) that resists change and other "ways of thinking".

I can see alittle of ELP in San Antonio. I have only driven thru Del Rio and Laredo so I dont know much about those two cities. They kinda reminded me of ELP too but not a whole lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso