Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,129 times

Advertisements

Hello ElPaso peeps! Im just posting here to see if I can get some helpfull info from you guys. Im in Seattle right now but plan on coming back home real soon, (this year). Ive been away to long (12yrs) and have no clue whats new
over there as far as homes, schools, crime rate, ect...

I guess what I would like help with is some info (feedback) on the following:
(the more opinons/facts the better)

What is the best public school for 1-6 and best high school 9-12?
(what side of town)

What is the real estate market like, (good areas and worst)
(need to get a nice new home Texas style)

Crime rate, is the West Side the best or should I go back to my roots in
the NE?

We run a daycare right now in Seattle and was just wondering what the current rates are for kids down there? We take care of kids from 3mths old to 11 yrs.

Do many people use or know of Craigslist.com because its huge over here?

I know not everyone can answer every question but please answer what you can. Thanks in advance who take the time to help out with some answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by komputerphreak View Post
Hello ElPaso peeps! Im just posting here to see if I can get some helpfull info from you guys. Im in Seattle right now but plan on coming back home real soon, (this year). Ive been away to long (12yrs) and have no clue whats new
over there as far as homes, schools, crime rate, ect...

I guess what I would like help with is some info (feedback) on the following:
(the more opinons/facts the better)

What is the best public school for 1-6 and best high school 9-12?
(what side of town)

What is the real estate market like, (good areas and worst)
(need to get a nice new home Texas style)

Crime rate, is the West Side the best or should I go back to my roots in
the NE?

We run a daycare right now in Seattle and was just wondering what the current rates are for kids down there? We take care of kids from 3mths old to 11 yrs.

Do many people use or know of Craigslist.com because its huge over here?

I know not everyone can answer every question but please answer what you can. Thanks in advance who take the time to help out with some answers.
As far as schools, it would depend on what you're looking for -- for academics, I think it would be best to check the TAKS and SAT scores of the high schools and then go from there as far as the elementary schools that feed into them. For sports, it would be best to check to results of the sports season. Some people swear by the magnet schools, others aren't that impressed with them.

Real estate I would say is pretty good -- plenty of houses available but not the crash like in some towns.

My guess is that crime is about the same in the west side and NE and a lot depends on exactly what neighborhood because there are neighborhoods in the NE and West that look fine and some that don't.

Day care rates here would be pretty low -- I would guess around $2 an hour but it would vary.

Yes there's a craiglist here, probably not as big as in some places.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 7,503 times
Craigs list is getting very big in El Paso. Check it out: elpaso.en.craigslist.org/

If you wanna see a sad one, check out Cruces'.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:54 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
kphreak::: do you still have family here and how much are you looking to spend on a house are you coming down anytime soon

Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Malamute thanks for the info. Helpful info. As for Craigslist, its huge here in Seattle. Sell things all the time on it. Just hope to be albel to do the same in ELP. Here in Seattle we can charge 200 per week for an infant for daycare, Im guessing not in ELP

Thanks again

Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Borracho, yes I have all my famila over there, main reason for coming back. Price wise not sure. I know I need a four bedroom with a large bonus room for a daycare. We are in the daycare biz over here and plan on doing the same over there. I know Ill be taking a pay cut but the house prices should make up for that. Houses over here are really expensive. 300k plus for a nice one.

Should be back to ELP this summer. Just want to find a house fast that is as close to daycare ready as poss.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komputerphreak View Post
Malamute thanks for the info. Helpful info. As for Craigslist, its huge here in Seattle. Sell things all the time on it. Just hope to be albel to do the same in ELP. Here in Seattle we can charge 200 per week for an infant for daycare, Im guessing not in ELP

Thanks again
I've used Craiglist for getting rid of stuff, I think it's big enough here considering.

I doubt you'd be seeing anything like $200 per infant a week for childcare -- but on the other hand, I'm sure houses are quite a bit cheaper here -- although probably not property taxes.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Mostly after 12 years, I would guess the most surprising change will be how much bigger the city has become -- how very built up it is compared to 12 years ago.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,039 times
Hello..my City-County Chuco friends..I will be going back to ELP for the weekend of June 25..this is just before I take my annual trip to Japan..I love you Mama..who I will see when I get there

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
You are going to notice a big increase in the taxes since you left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso