Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to El Paso: transplants, car insurance, affordable, cost of living, housing.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hi pete's wife -

El Paso is like any big city and has gangs / rough patches of kids. In my opinion, kids in that really impressionable 12 - 15 year old range are incredibly vulnerable and impressionable, so it doesn't matter whether it is El Paso, Milwaukee, Portland, Indianapolis, or Dallas...if kids are looking for trouble they'll find it with no problem.

I know I am probably just preaching to the choir, but I would say it would be best to really, really REALLY encourage your kids to stay away from kids in gangs, etc. Even if their intentions are genuinely good and pure, they are still kids and are very susceptible to peer pressure, the need to fit in, youthful indiscretions, etc. - they'd be at risk hanging out with gang members in either Milwaukee or El Paso.
Maybe kids from military families can find other "newcomers" but one thing difficult for kids is finding a peer group. Often you see the groups of kids those who have grown up together and they're not always open to new kids, they can be very cliquish, and often the gang kids are, or some of the drug using kids who might be considered "losers" will be more open to new friendships.

That's how often kids who are looking for friends will end up with the wrong crowd. Even if kids aren't joining gangs, you have to be careful about parties here because very often troublemakers will find the parties and I know quite a few good kids who have run into trouble (like stabbed by knives) when they were not gang affiliated. Some kids will tell you stories of being attacked just for walking through the wrong neighborhood, but often that's related to ethnicity -- and kids who are obviously white and not gang affiliated will likely be left alone. An elderly woman could be quite safe, an 18 year old guy not so safe walking at night in particular neighborhoods.

Teens are in the most risk of danger here. Some are not in any particular danger but those who like to hang out and party where adults might not be chaperoning and drive around at 3 am, drink, are in some danger. DWI and street racing lately are taking a lot of lives.

My theory is when it comes to kids past 16, make sure they have a car to use, driving lessons, common sense and rules, because it's drive or be driven and if your kid is sensible enough then you might rather they be the driver not the passenger because sometimes the passenger has little control over the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Let me state for the record, that as a Former DA Cop, Fort Bliss has a bad Gang problem, thats on post. Well it did a couple years back.. Ask the MP's about it when you get to Post.. also the Fort Bliss Inn is your only option as there is no temp housing on post... you will need to have some cash when you get here, the Army will reimburse your stay at the end after you check out. SO be forewarned.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,674 times
Enjoy EP,

Anything is better than Milwaukee lol. I moved north so my kids could see snow and I have seen enough snow up there to last me a lifetime. 82" is just to much and I fell on ice up there and broke my wrist, so El Paso weather I will enjoy. The Palm Trees I love I had 2 that I took with me to Milwaukee and yeah they died. Thank you for your advice and everyone elses. Now to look for a house in a good neighborhood that is not very expensive.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's wife View Post
82" is just to much and I fell on ice up there and broke my wrist, so El Paso weather I will enjoy.
82 inches ain't nothin'!!! This winter that we just had? 99.2 inches!!! 'Tis true!! 2nd snowiest winter in the history of record keeping for Milwaukee. Amazingly awful. Still here in May we aren't having highs much past the 40s and 50s most days. (Some suburbs of Milwaukee like Germantown, Mequon, etc., received well over 100 inches this year).

Quote:
The Palm Trees I love I had 2 that I took with me to Milwaukee and yeah they died.
Yeah, Milwaukee isn't exactly palm tree country!! More pine tree country. Beautiful city in the summertime, but that winter is just so long.

Quote:
Thank you for your advice and everyone elses. Now to look for a house in a good neighborhood that is not very expensive.
Housing in El Paso is so much more reasonably priced and affordable than Milwaukee, so you'll enjoy that. I think if you looked for a home in the Northeast (most portions), the East side, or Horizon City - all areas in the Ft. Bliss vicinity - you'll be able to find a nice, safe neighborhood with very reasonable priced homes. The West side / Upper Valley seem to also have very nice homes with very safe areas but they would be quite a bit farther from Fort Bliss and are in general pricier.

Good luck to you! I wish I could join you in EP tomorrow!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 PM

167 posts, read 483,792 times
We moved to El Paso in July 2007 and moved out in July 2008. I could not adapt to the place. We bought a house on the westside for the good (completely overcrowded) schools etc, but we still could not adapt. My daughter who is ten, had trouble at school with bullying, and this is is supposed to be one of the best elem. schools in El Paso. There were actually only two white girls in her class (one EP born and raised), and this did not help. The other girls would not accept her. I know this is a difficult age, but please. One time we arranged a playdate with a girl in her class (and her mother), who seemed happy to come, only to arrive at the house and be told by her brother, that she did not live there and they didn't speak english.

I am used to small town America and El Paso is certainly not that. To me, it felt like Mexico with very high taxes. I could not get help on the Westside Walmart as two employees I approached did not speak english.

Most of the people we encountered were rude and seemed to resent us being there. We made a couple of good friends, and they were transplants also.

The windy season lasts forever it seems, and it just leaves the air with a dirty taste to it. I understand EP does not get much rain, which doesn't help. The locals leave their trash everywhere, and the driving is not very good.

Taxes are very high and now I am back in the south, I noticed groceries are also more in EP (comparing walmart to walmart).

Believe me, the place is not for everyone.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:02 PM

248 posts, read 627,072 times
missing-- wow, it would have been nice to know you when you were here. yes, these are all the issues my anglo daughters have here in el paso. we are actively looking to get out and back to the south, but will go mostly anywhere east of el paso just to get out. there is no life to be had here as an anglo. you are always the social outcast and i'm not willing to do it to my children. i wish i had never agreed to come here at all.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,312 times
Default moving to Ft bliss

I will be moving to Ft Bliss in November and like many wonder about the school district. I seen that many say move to the westside/upper valley but what are the names of these towns that are in these areas???? I am African American and was wondering how the Hispanics react to other races? Any info will help.

MrsPrime

Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 53,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneismith View Post
I will be moving to Ft Bliss in November and like many wonder about the school district. I seen that many say move to the westside/upper valley but what are the names of these towns that are in these areas???? I am African American and was wondering how the Hispanics react to other races? Any info will help.

MrsPrime

there are no names of towns. El Paso for the most part is just one big city.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM

15 posts, read 53,823 times
i would like to say this. As a white person who was born and raised in el paso, i dont think i quite had to deal with the race or language issues as much as everyone else

When i went to high school, i would say at least 90-95% of the kids spoke engish as a primary language, but the same cannot be said in most poorer districts.

When i was living there, i liked the west side of town the most because it was the only place most of the time where the amount of whites and hispanics were even in stores or restraunts....in some cases the whites were the vast majority.

i dont know if it was the fact that i was born and raised there that it wasnt as bad for me. i can certainly see if i moved there from a nicer area how it would be a complete culture shock. But i think some poeple tend to over exaggerate it a little.

i say this as a person who does not care for el paso, which is why i joined the military to get out. i've met plenty of poeple of all races including black, white or whatever who say they couldnt imagine living anywhere else. But then i've certainly met plenty who cant stand the place. sooo, i would say dont let these people worry you too much because you might actually like it.

And i'm not sure about the person who said they lived on the west side and their daughter only had two white kids in their class, seems kind of strange on that side of town. i remmember when our school would play west side schools and the difference in their white population was much larger. I would say my school was about 20% white.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM

200 posts, read 610,406 times
I was born & raised in El Paso & lived there for 29 years until I married my Naval officer husband in 2004 & left. I am Anglo & grew up on El Paso's West side w/financially comfortable parents, attended private schools & believe it or not, faced alot of cliquish bullying by white well-to-do peers in school on El Paso's much coveted (by some) West side. Ironically, I didn't find that so much from my Hispanic peers.

Then later, I worked as an at-risk caseworker in the Ysleta school district doing the bulk of my work in what is considered by some El Paso's "barrio," I NEVER felt unsafe. I also never felt so welcomed or enjoyed such camaraderie by my co-workers all of whom were Hispanic.

Also, I have to say much of the "gang" talk about El Paso, I think is a bunch of hype. I think back in the late 80's & early 90's EP had gang violence problem, but I don't think it's nearly as prevalent as it used to be.

I think it's easier for the Anglo's who've been born & raised in EP to cope w/ being an "Anglo" minority in EP as opposed to transplants, b/c it can be a culture shock. Don't let that deter you. So I would recommend either living on the West Side of town or the Northeast's Mountain Park b/c as someone said, "the amount of Hispanics & Anglos evens out" on these sides of town.

Also I would advise visiting before you move, if possible, if you haven't already.

The two main school districts are: El Paso ISD & Ysleta ISD. There are a few other smaller districts, but those are the main ones.

Last edited by anelizk; 07-14-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: grammatical errors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso