Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To me it seems that even though we have a river running right through town, not much is done with it.
That bothers me a lot. You'd think they'd play it up especially during the spring/summer/fall months. Put tons of cafes, eateries, parks down by the river. Make sure it's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:26 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
That bothers me a lot. You'd think they'd play it up especially during the spring/summer/fall months. Put tons of cafes, eateries, parks down by the river. Make sure it's nice.
I was in EP last weekend and drove down paisano st by the river (were hacienda restaurant was). Have you seen how nasty that water is, and how ugly the Juarez side is? There would have to be some major work done, not just on the EP side but especially on the mexican side.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Muhnay.....i know it's been closed for years what did happen to the Putt Putt out on Dyer going towards Newman?? Who or what is there now as i remember the Giant T-Rex out there. Are there any Mini Golf places in Northeast???
GOONEY GOLF, it has been closed for years.. it was recently torn down to build duplexes. I often dreamed of buying the place and reopening it and the skate park that was across the street.. do you remember the Drive in we had there too? Now thats a long time back. Nope no Mini golf in the North East any longer.. Heck the Putt Putt that was on the far east side on Zaragosa Is gone now too.. only one I know of is the old and true one on Montana and Hawkins.

Veterans Park has a new skate center in it.. other than that the N.E. is really lacking things for kids and the young at heart to do. I don't know if it is because the kids today just don't have the respect or if its because they don't have the money, or if some other factor plays into it.. but we cant seem to attract that kind of business any more. The west side has 3 attractions all with in a few miles of one another.. Bob-O's Fun Center, and I forget the other two.. but they are all over there and the N.E. has nothing.. I wish I knew why the N.E. is so jaded... there are plenty of military families over here who could use more stuff like that over here.. and with gas reaching 4 bucks, these military families and the others here cant afford to travel across the mountain for family fun.

As for the other comments after yours.. The RIVER as you call it, is not a river here, it is but a mere stream.. one that borders another country. If New Mexico had not damned the river up 3 or 4 times along its journey we may of had a nice high flowing river here, cleaner than what we have today, one we could of used to make a nice river park and walk way.. but we don't.. and we never will. San Angelo has a wonderful river park, and walk.. Wish we could follow its example. I may move there some day just because it is doing stuff right where El Paso keeps doing stuff wrong.. we can not rely on the military to support us, we need to also offer our own path into the future... wish the powers that be would figure that out and get started..

Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Well I don't think the river is ugly -- actually when you see it up by Percha Damn it's really nice and people are always fishing in it. There are some nice biking trails and walking trails along it, you can see people riding horses, walking dogs and enjoying it, but you don't usually see people having picnics, no boating, no canoes, no rafts. It wouldn't be bad to have some green space along the river where the river itself could be used to irrigate it.

We can't compete with San Antonio because it's semi-tropical there, but we have a famous river that we just ignore.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
GOONEY GOLF, it has been closed for years.. it was recently torn down to build duplexes. I often dreamed of buying the place and reopening it and the skate park that was across the street.. do you remember the Drive in we had there too? Now thats a long time back. Nope no Mini golf in the North East any longer.. Heck the Putt Putt that was on the far east side on Zaragosa Is gone now too.. only one I know of is the old and true one on Montana and Hawkins.

Veterans Park has a new skate center in it.. other than that the N.E. is really lacking things for kids and the young at heart to do. I don't know if it is because the kids today just don't have the respect or if its because they don't have the money, or if some other factor plays into it.. but we cant seem to attract that kind of business any more. The west side has 3 attractions all with in a few miles of one another.. Bob-O's Fun Center, and I forget the other two.. but they are all over there and the N.E. has nothing.. I wish I knew why the N.E. is so jaded... there are plenty of military families over here who could use more stuff like that over here.. and with gas reaching 4 bucks, these military families and the others here cant afford to travel across the mountain for family fun.
Well hopefully by 2012 when the 30,000 new troops including their families arrive that some developers will build entertainment amenities to capture all the new money coming into Northeast EP. Even Alamogordo just built a brand new movie complex (on north bypass) as i believe it's 10 theaters if i'm correct.

6/3

Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I don't think the river is ugly -- actually when you see it up by Percha Damn it's really nice and people are always fishing in it. There are some nice biking trails and walking trails along it, you can see people riding horses, walking dogs and enjoying it, but you don't usually see people having picnics, no boating, no canoes, no rafts. It wouldn't be bad to have some green space along the river where the river itself could be used to irrigate it.

We can't compete with San Antonio because it's semi-tropical there, but we have a famous river that we just ignore.
If the area you are talking about is the upper valley then that's a little different. The river up that way is better since it's not yet an international boundry.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
They could of split the river off and looped it though Downtown and had a nice river walk like San Antonio has.. and still had the divider running too.. well that is when we have water in the river.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
They could of split the river off and looped it though Downtown and had a nice river walk like San Antonio has.. and still had the divider running too.. well that is when we have water in the river.
That would work I think. It wouldn't have to be like San Antonio because that's a whole different place and climate, but there could be some thing to help more people enjoy our only real water. It's all headed to the ocean anyway and no reason some of it can't be enjoyed before it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso