Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,996 times

Advertisements

Well I thought I'd post here first. I know at least one of you will be happy this happened. I am very upset about this. Why? We had something that we were proud of that represented El Paso Texas located in a trendy ATX district taken away from us.

For many ex-El Pasoans this place was a great place to go and be reminded about our hometown. It never failed...there was always some one from El Paso eating there. The food was great and the place was clean. There was flat panel screens all over the place, wooden floors, free refills, debit/credits accepted, whole house audio, diverse menu, and beer. There was a banner drapped across one of the walls. It payed tribute to UTEP and all of the ELP high schools.

As for Chicos Tacos..It will be hard at first but atleast this ELP ex will be boycotting this establishment.

statesman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM

507 posts, read 2,062,312 times
To quote Nelson Muntz, "Ha Ha!"

Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Fantastic!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Fantastic!

You were the one that I was waiting for to reply. I just erased about 5 paragraphs of what I wanted to say about your response. But instead I am taking the high road.

The only thing I can say right now without blowing my top...I cannot believe that someone who seems to be very popular in here can say a cold heartless statement like..."Fantastic!"

Someone's livelihood, someone's dream....crushed and you said..."Fantastic!"

I better stop....

Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 17,624 times
I'm an ex El Pasoan living in Austin for the past 18 years. I must say I am very saddened by the news that 10th street tacos has closed. One of the things I miss most about El Paso is Chicos. I'm frustrated like so many other ex El Pasoans that Chicos will not extend their restaurant to other Texas cities. They have to know they would make a killing here in Austin. It was a pleasant surprise that Chucos/10th street supplied the one dish that many of us crave. Was the taco dish similar to Chicos? Absolutely. Because that is what we want. I will still eat at Chicos every chance I get when I'm back in my home town visiting my parents. But today is a dark day in Austin because I can no longer get the taco dish that I grew up with. Oh well, I guess its back to my homemade taquitos in chile sauce with shredded american cheese on top.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
You were the one that I was waiting for to reply. I just erased about 5 paragraphs of what I wanted to say about your response. But instead I am taking the high road.

The only thing I can say right now without blowing my top...I cannot believe that someone who seems to be very popular in here can say a cold heartless statement like..."Fantastic!"

Someone's livelihood, someone's dream....crushed and you said..."Fantastic!"

I better stop....
Oh you mean the dream he stole? The dream he copied? Hell had this guy opened his taco shop and not tried to steal an El Paso tradition/staple and prospered off someone elses ideas and food.. I wouldn't of cared either way. But go ahead and make me the focus.. make this about me, distract from the real story here.. he was forced to close by the courts.. the law suit must of had some merit, or he would still be open. Its not like I drove to Austin and forced this guy to close. Hope this teaches the punk that he cant steal someone elses ideas and prosper from them. So yes it is Fantastic that he got his just due.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Oh you mean the dream he stole? The dream he copied? Hell had this guy opened his taco shop and not tried to steal an El Paso tradition/staple and prospered off someone elses ideas and food.. I wouldn't of cared either way. But go ahead and make me the focus.. make this about me, distract from the real story here.. he was forced to close by the courts.. the law suit must of had some merit, or he would still be open. Its not like I drove to Austin and forced this guy to close. Hope this teaches the punk that he cant steal someone elses ideas and prosper from them. So yes it is Fantastic that he got his just due.
So lets get the guy who invented the hamburger to sue all the hamburger joints all over the world. They copied that idea too right? This is the same thing.

You never went there...it was hometown feel for us. The tacos looked like the same thing but the taste was different, better, and healthier.

My focus is that you made a comment that I think was with no class. That is all. The lawsuit is over and done with. The taco place is closed.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Why was it closed?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlnghorn View Post
I'm an ex El Pasoan living in Austin for the past 18 years. I must say I am very saddened by the news that 10th street tacos has closed. One of the things I miss most about El Paso is Chicos. I'm frustrated like so many other ex El Pasoans that Chicos will not extend their restaurant to other Texas cities. They have to know they would make a killing here in Austin. It was a pleasant surprise that Chucos/10th street supplied the one dish that many of us crave. Was the taco dish similar to Chicos? Absolutely. Because that is what we want. I will still eat at Chicos every chance I get when I'm back in my home town visiting my parents. But today is a dark day in Austin because I can no longer get the taco dish that I grew up with. Oh well, I guess its back to my homemade taquitos in chile sauce with shredded american cheese on top.
here is the recipe if you want it. Let me know if you try it:

6 whole tomato’s Cook covered until skin starts to peel 2 cloves of garlic Thin Carrot shavings 1 tsp. salt ½ can tomato sauce ½ can Mexican tomato sauce 80/20 Hamb meat
Season raw lean hamburger meat with salt, pepper and garlic. Mix into meat. Steam thin corn tortillas. Spread each tortilla half way with about 1T meat spreading as thin as the tortilla. Roll up from meat side. Fry in oil over med. Heat Till crisp and meat cooked. Drain Enjoy

Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why was it closed?
Oh dude..your came in after the fact.

Chucos Tacos opened in Austin by some El Pasoans. They had a dish that looked like Chicos but the taste was far different than the original.

Chicos got insecure and sued Chucos. Chucos is now closed.

That is a short synopsis. There is a thread here in City Data and one in [domain blocked due to spam] EL Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso