Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 AM

167 posts, read 483,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
What field of work does your husband do?
My husband works in R&D.

El Paso is not for everyone. My family could not live there, and most transplants we spoke to/got friendly with where just waiting for their transfer orders. It's an okay place short term, waiting for something better to come. We used it to further my husbands career.

We did not have a gun, but did not really go out much at night, we have two young children.

The lanuage was a problem for us. On several occasions I could not get help from associates at walmart as they did not speak english. Yes, we picked up a couple of words of spanish, but not enough to get by. It gives a strange sort of feel when you are shopping in clothing stores or grocery stores and they make their announcements in spanish.

Good luck with your new chapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinggreen View Post
My husband works in R&D.

El Paso is not for everyone. My family could not live there, and most transplants we spoke to/got friendly with where just waiting for their transfer orders. It's an okay place short term, waiting for something better to come. We used it to further my husbands career.

We did not have a gun, but did not really go out much at night, we have two young children.

The lanuage was a problem for us. On several occasions I could not get help from associates at walmart as they did not speak english. Yes, we picked up a couple of words of spanish, but not enough to get by. It gives a strange sort of feel when you are shopping in clothing stores or grocery stores and they make their announcements in spanish.

Good luck with your new chapter.

Wow, that kinda sux. But I guess I'll learn to deal with it since the city is so close to Mexico.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:06 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,643 times
I think it is kinda funny, last week I was at the dollar store and needed to find something and I went to ask for help in no-one spoke english and I am not joking it was like we were all standing around looking at eachother like 30min. trying to understand and you know what it toke forever but we all got it!!!and I wlak away with everything I needed so I guess Thats why I still laugh it off.
I think it is wrong that there is no-one that understands at times but I just kinda let it roll off my shoulders and like I said before I think when bliss gets all these troops in el paso will have to change are people will leave and spend there money here.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Quick questions. When's the last time the local government in El Paso went around making sure the local residents were legal? I know many are legal and just speaking only spanish doesn't mean they're illegals but just asking. And are they really building a wall in El Paso?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Were a sanctuary city.. they don't check here.

Oh and they sure are building a wall... Its not "ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK/LA" style as I prefer, but it should do for now.

Southern, there is a big huge brand new shopping enter going in on BIGGS, as well as chain stores and a new PX and Commissary. So the new soldiers here wont need to spend money off base if they don't want too.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:58 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
Good grief.

All these people who cry about El Paso.

"El Paso is not for everyone"

LOL

It should be, "El Paso is not for some."

But, but, but, I know two people and they did not like El Paso either. So what?

We live right next to a different country that speaks a different language. Of course stores are going to announce things in English and Spanish.

Are there a few stores that make the mistake of hiring people who don't know English? Probably. It might happen downtown or in the lower valley. If that is a problem for you, don't go! If you are a transplant, and the Spanish bothers you, shop on the west side. Problem solved.

"El Paso is not everyone"

nah, YOU are not for El Paso!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Wow all you needed was a

VIVA EL PASO, VIVA MEXICO at the end of that to finish it off..

Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,643 times
Muhnay when are they going to open shops on biggs?one time I was told nov. but now no-one seems to know.

mistabinks, I think I said that most of the time I just laugh it off because that is what kind of person I am, I do not let things get to me but not everyone feels like I do about it and it is easy to see why.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:10 PM

Southern I'll get back to you on that..

Yeah Southern I noticed that about you.. Me I try to have that attitude.. but after a while it just grinds me down and I have to put on my Postal outfit and walk around wal*mart giving crazy stairs, until they store is empty and then I am fine. heh heh.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
The thing is, I am not pro Mexico or pro Spanish. I am pro El Paso. I get so sick and tired of people who think they have El Paso summed up just because their limited experience here.

"I applied at two stores and didn't get hired so it must be because I don't speak Spanish" somehow equals "You can't get a job in El Paso if you don't speak Spanish."

"I was at a store and they announced everything in Spanish!" So what? Stores cater to their customers. We have a lot of Spanish speaking customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso