Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 28,883 times

Advertisements

I am just curious to see if anyone else has been experiencing the ridiculous wait for on-post housing. My husband and I have been on the wait list since March when we were told it would be about a 90 day wait and now its been over 7 months. I have heard of other soldiers (the same rank) with families arriving after us and receiving housing already and I am beginning to wonder if they are in violation of Fair Housing Laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM

422 posts, read 1,294,664 times
have you thought about living off-post? Great new neighborhoods being built right now.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,796 times
I am sorry u are having to wait so long.We were very lucky,only waited about 3days. We have been on biggs for almost a year now and I have been told that there is a 12 month waiting list at this time.
What part of housing are you going to?
you may need to rent for a while. I know you do not want to hear that but it is true.
Also if they are putting other families ahead of you it could be that they have special needs and those families are moved in faster.

sorry

Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnelena View Post
I am just curious to see if anyone else has been experiencing the ridiculous wait for on-post housing. My husband and I have been on the wait list since March when we were told it would be about a 90 day wait and now its been over 7 months. I have heard of other soldiers (the same rank) with families arriving after us and receiving housing already and I am beginning to wonder if they are in violation of Fair Housing Laws.
It is too bad you have too wait...well..I do NOT have that problem...I already know that I am going to inherit my parents home in central El Paso and it is has been paid for the 1970s. I just have to worry about the ridiculous taxes there!..and when I visit there from the metroplex..I already have a place to stay!...Good luck in finding a place to live in my beloved hometown

Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM

158 posts, read 438,895 times
We were on the wait list for over a year, but then got into brand new housing. It ended up being well worth the wait. What is your rank and # of dependents? PM me if you'd like.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnelena View Post

I have been on the list for almost a year so don't feel too bad ...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,796 times
I am sorry to hear that.
were will you be living on post may I ask?
If you get 1 of the new homes, you will be very happy they are nice.
I have been here a year on biggs field and so far ok.
nothing is perfect but it is better then living off base.

I hope you get in soon.
good luck.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:36 PM

270 posts, read 626,422 times
There are many factors to be considered when assigning house, as stated one of them is special family members, size of family and age/gender of family and of course being the military, the sponsor's rank and housing availabkle for that category. Doesnt hurt to drop by the SMAJ office and see if he can help or at least get an expanation of why it's been a while. Hang in there, from what I have seen of the new housing, I wouldnt mind having one myself. I just remembered a trick that worked years ago. If you have the time, check the empty houses, make a list and then pay a visit to the housing office. Worked for me.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 28,883 times
Welp 2 years later... We're getting brand new housing on post! I am thrilled. Especially since our rental home costs almost $300 over the BAH allowance with Utilities.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Congratulations, the new houses are awesome from what I've been told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: