Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 AM

271 posts, read 812,437 times

Advertisements

and the only options were San Angelo, Kerrville, or Corpus Christi which would you chose and why? The reason I'm asking is these three areas seem to stand out as good places to live/retire for a variety of different reasons and input from anyone who has first hand knowledge of these towns would be helpful to my research. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,453,009 times
I pass through Kerrville every time I go to EP. It seems like a nice community in which to retire.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 PM

447 posts, read 1,583,511 times
I would go with Corpus Christi if you don't mind the occasional hurricane.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM

195 posts, read 659,258 times
I know I live in Las Cruces, NM right now but since i'm from EP... I'd go with San Angelo, it has a military base and it's on the eastern edge of West Texas. Therefore, i could drive an hour or two and get my desert/mountain fix in. It's a small city but still a city, with i'm sure not a lot of traffic. Probably a good place to raise kids, and live.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,916,036 times
If I had to choose among what you listed, it would definitely be San Angelo.

It's West Texas, it has a good quality of life, and the climate (other than the hot summers) is usually really good.

Kerrville is beautiful, and a neat town, but it's extremely hot and humid in the summers--and like other Texas Hill Country areas, it's humid in general, though the winters are nice.

Corpus? I wouldn't live anywhere NEAR the coast. Hurricanes, hot, humid weather, et al....!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,155,532 times
Corpus w/out a doubt.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,313,131 times
Take away the beach and Corpus is worse than El Paso, if you are comparing quality of life.

San Angelo is nice, green, much better than El Paso.

Kerville is great. Having vacationed in all three areas at least once, Kerville by far was my favorite. The canyons, and rivers are great, and so are the people.

'Just curious, if you'd care to share, why not El Paso?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM

271 posts, read 812,437 times
Hook
Two reasons to leave El Paso are wanting more green,water,etc. and wife's inability to work in her chosen field. Other than that I think El Paso is a nice place with warm friendly people. When my daughter leaves for college we will leave El Paso. San Angelo is on top of my list because it offers exactly what we are missing here but I have yet to go there for a look around. Corpus looks inviting because I grew up on a beach and love the beach lifestyle. Kerrville is new to my list after discovering it is supposed to have the best weather in the southwest and it's close to San Antonio.
This is why I like getting opinions from many different people because it seems different places affect people in totally different ways.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,313,131 times
You will like Kerrville. The beach in Corpus is very nice, don't get me wrong, what I was attempting to do is draw comparison to the both cities sans beach.

You are right, Kerrville is close to the "big" city, so you could wake up at 06:00, have breakfast, take a leasurly drive into SAT, get the things you need, and drive back before 10:00, it's only a 45 minute trip, also close to the airport, and high dollar restaurants if you wish have a fancy dinner.

If you like the beach, it's only about 2.5 hours away, depending on where in Kerrville, it could be as short as 2 hours; Austin is 2 hours.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM

507 posts, read 1,664,035 times
Im sorry, it would be a toss up between Kerrville and Corpus.
I have been to all three cities and I have to say that San Angelo is kinda bleh... Not much of an improvement from El Paso.
But HookaBrotherUp is basically right, if you take the beach away from Corpus you will have a city worse than el paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso